Will Castle Start Friday? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Will Castle Start Friday?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
How so? Most people on this board are saying we should stay away from one and done players. Yea it’s good to get players to the league but it’s not like it hurts us if he stays two years (I know it’s not happening).
"Most people"? I'd be interested in seeing how many people you've identified as being anti-one and done to support this statement.

More than a few members have criticized Kentucky (and more lately Duke) for only recruiting one and done players, but unless I missed a bunch of posts I don't remember more than one or two of the rabble here arguing against having a few select one and dones to supplement our longer term players.

Reaction Score
"Most people"? I'd be interested in seeing how many people you've identified as being anti-one and done to support this statement.

More than a few members have criticized Kentucky (and more lately Duke) for only recruiting one and done players, but unless I missed a bunch of posts I don't remember more than one or two of the rabble here arguing against having a few select one and dones to supplement our longer term players.
Well maybe loud people seemed like more. But if the point of getting Castle out in one year is to get on the radar of those types of guys, we’d end up with more one and dones eventually. Hopefully we don’t ever end up like Duke or Kentucky even though I think Hurley would get more out of the players.

Reaction Score
I just see Bart Torviks UConn page and laugh. Look at these 5. Steph Castle analytics are insane. He passes as well as our All American PG, Rebounds as well as our All-American Center, and shoots with basically the same efficiency as our best perimeter shooters. Oh and he leads our team by a mile in Steal % and Free Throw Rate and Box Plus-Minus.

I think we are highly underrating how ridiculous this team is going to look when he gets integrated and playing 70% mpg. Newton gets better cuz he has to handle and create less, Donovan gets easy dunks, shooters get open 3s, Defense he fills our biggest gap of forwards just torching us. Its going to be silly.

And good luck to any team with smallish guards. Newton and Castle will just bully them into the paint all game to crush the defenses.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 2.31.28 PM.png

Reaction Score
No one disagrees with this. Good grief.
My original reply was to the statement that he does more for us as a one and done lottery pick which if it leads to better recruits is true. Without that context the statement is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I just see Bart Torviks UConn page and laugh. Look at these 5. Steph Castle analytics are insane. He passes as well as our All American PG, Rebounds as well as our All-American Center, and shoots with basically the same efficiency as our best perimeter shooters. Oh and he leads our team by a mile in Steal % and Free Throw Rate and Box Plus-Minus.

I think we are highly underrating how ridiculous this team is going to look when he gets integrated and playing 70% mpg. Newton gets better cuz he has to handle and create less, Donovan gets easy dunks, shooters get open 3s, Defense he fills our biggest gap of forwards just torching us. Its going to be silly.

And good luck to any team with smallish guards. Newton and Castle will just bully them into the paint all game to crush the defenses.

View attachment 94067

The only thing I disagree with is shooting here. His shooting blows.

Reaction Score
Has he shot enough to make any conclusions? He's 12-22 overall, which were mostly layups and a few short jumpers. He's 1-5 on threes. Tough to take anything away from a sample size that small. But I get your point. The stats to date are the stats.

Reaction Score
Has he shot enough to make any conclusions? He's 12-22 overall, which were mostly layups and a few short jumpers. He's 1-5 on threes. Tough to take anything away from a sample size that small. But I get your point. The stats to date are the stats.

I'm thinking more about how he plays than the makes/misses. He's turned down plenty of opportunities to pull from deep, and I think that's probably indicative of his confidence and the what kind of green/yellow light coach has given him.

I'm very happy with his work at the rim and mid-range.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Right but we definitely need a blend of top recruits and upperclassmen.
A single statement about a single player does not connotate that someone wants all 1 and done nor does it serve as a plurality amongst the BY and the preference for any type of tenure for players.
I've been on this board for a while and can't remember a ton of folks saying to stay away from 1 and done players.

Reaction Score
A single statement about a single player does not connotate that someone wants all 1 and done nor does it serve as a plurality amongst the BY and the preference for any type of tenure for players.
I've been on this board for a while and can't remember a ton of folks saying to stay away from 1 and done players.
You must have missed all the debates during this recruiting season

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Weren't people saying this about Ball just a couple weeks ago?
Forget what us idiot fans think. The coaches all along have said solo is a great shooter whereas with castle they said shooting wasn’t as big of a weakness as they had thought coming in.

Reaction Score
His TS % is like 60%+ given all the free throws he racks up! Say what you want that's a tremendous offensive efficiency. Not everyone is gonna be a knock down shooter at 18 years old. why you so negative.

Reaction Score
His TS % is like 60%+ given all the free throws he racks up! Say what you want that's a tremendous offensive efficiency. Not everyone is gonna be a knock down shooter at 18 years old. why you so negative.

His true shooting % is excellent because he's fantastic in the lane and at the rim. If you actually read the thread, you'd notice I've written that. Couple times actually.

Not negative--honest. He's not a good shooter. Teams are going to play way, way off him until he proves he can shoot. Never has been a good shooter, but did improve in the last year.

He's proven effecient vs 3 cupcakes and UNC. Friday will be a big opportunity to show out for scouts. I suspect we have a big game from him coming.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Actually, you did

View attachment 94079
I understand how that seems, but the general train of thought was that he should just take less 3s. Not stop them altogether.

You gain confidence by watching the ball go in, which comes from starting off games taking easier shots. Which is what happened vs UNC. His first few shots should typically be drives to the rim and even some mid range pull ups before firing away from 3. That’s it.
IMG_3778.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom