Wichita State Emerges As Potential Basketball Only Add To AAC (Officially Official) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Wichita State Emerges As Potential Basketball Only Add To AAC (Officially Official)

Reaction Score
I know its not apples to apples, but the addition of Navy as a football-only member was huge for the conference in terms of gaining relevance/prestige. Compared to AAC basketball, AAC football is much closer to being "P5" and I think the Navy addition had a lot to do with that.

WSU obviously is not Navy football but they would instantly move AAC basketball closer to "P5" than we currently are which is in our best interest. Given their financial commitment to bball and history of success they instantly become the 2nd/3rd most relevant/prestigious basketball program in our conference.

I hate the UConn being in the AAC as much as anyone but saying "screw Wichita, I'm good with ECU and Tulane" is just ignorant.

Reaction Score
If UConn was planning on staying in the AAC, I'd assume they'd clamor for closer additions.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
First, that's dumb.

You want Army?

Second, there's no one out there who is a) a worthy addition in all sports, and b) willing to come. No one. Everyone you'd want has been asked and has given an unequivocal no.

Third, we have 11 all sports members and a horrific basketball problem. We had two programs in the RPI top 50 - those matchups are a metric for the selection committee. We only had three programs in the top 100 and we had three over 200. That's a disaster - in hoops, they talk about a Power Six and we're not included.

So you gotta make a change. You have VCU, Dayton or Wichita. Given those three, you have one real choice and that's Wichita. That is the only school that you're dead certain will invest major conference money into their basketball program.

Plus, they're willing to cheat a little which makes them more appealing in this day and age.

If no one wants to come for all sports then I don't want them. The AAC is already a haphazard conglomerate of pieces that don't fit. To add some one to temporarily raise our BB profile (and there is no guarantee they'll stay relevant if Marshall leaves) makes the conference a more haphazardy conglomerate. We shouldn't fret over the AAC's basketball problem. We should fret over our own program. If we win, we'll dance.

The service academy comment about FB. At least Armey has some cache

Reaction Score
Yeah: the AAC can be a credible conference. It can be roughly as good as mid-1990s to mid-2000s CUSA, which had #1 seeds and Final Four participants.

It will never be as good as the old Big East, but that conference keep schools like Cincy, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis and DePaul afloat. Our football needs to get better, but the conference's has actually been pretty good. About as good as the post-Miami Big East.

Basketball needs something--ANYTHING. I don't love Wichita State or VCU--or even Dayton--as adds. But WSU seems like it'll be able to stick around and compete better than Tulane and ECU, and that's good enough for me. They were a top 20 team this year, and if you had them in the league this year, and SMU/Cincy played them each twice (and split) rather than a second game with Tulane, each of those teams probably jumps up a seed line, and WSU probably 4 or 5 themselves. Also, they might have dragged Houston or UCF in as well.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If you are fretting over our program and you're not fretting about the AAC's problems, you're not very good at fretting.

admittedly, I've never been an accomplished fretter.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah: the AAC can be a credible conference. It can be roughly as good as mid-1990s to mid-2000s CUSA, which had #1 seeds and Final Four participants.

It will never be as good as the old Big East, but that conference keep schools like Cincy, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis and DePaul afloat. Our football needs to get better, but the conference's has actually been pretty good. About as good as the post-Miami Big East.

Basketball needs something--ANYTHING. I don't love Wichita State or VCU--or even Dayton--as adds. But WSU seems like it'll be able to stick around and compete better than Tulane and ECU, and that's good enough for me. They were a top 20 team this year, and if you had them in the league this year, and SMU/Cincy played them each twice (and split) rather than a second game with Tulane, each of those teams probably jumps up a seed line, and WSU probably 4 or 5 themselves. Also, they might have dragged Houston or UCF in as well.

1. The AAC is weak so you'd better dominate

2. You have to schedule stronger OOC. Some of the cupcakes come in Jan and Feb so schedule a tougher Nov/Dev. Its not ideal, you have to hit the ground running

Reaction Score
IMO what UConn needs most is a geographic rival in the AAC to stir emotions.

I have always believed that if the AAC expands then UConn should use its influence to have UMass admitted.

Yeah, I know that UMass has been irrelevant for years in basketball, but entry into the AAC may cause it to improve and create a heated rivalry.

Reaction Score
In summary, to join the P5 you need to add market share and increase revenue. To join the AAC you need to have a fairly decent 5 year run as a mid major. Wichita State, may compete for a few years on the court, but will be another leech financially. This move doesn't make the AAC better, it pushes it further down the path of irrelevancy and insolvency.

Reaction Score
In summary, to join the P5 you need to add market share and increase revenue. To join the AAC you need to have a fairly decent 5 year run as a mid major. Wichita State, may compete for a few years on the court, but will be another leech financially. This move doesn't make the AAC better, it pushes it further down the path of irrelevancy and insolvency.

Yeah just like Xavier, Creighton, and Butler did nothing but push the C7 closer to irrelevancy. :confused:

The AAC desperately needs to enhance its basketball profile for recruiting and NCAA tournament purposes. Adding Wichita St is a layup, amazing that so many people don't get it.

and they won't make our slice of the pie smaller if they make the entire pie bigger.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The AAC is UConn's home for a while, so UConn should look at additions more strategically. Wichita State is good now, but they have a great coach and things could change when he leaves. Wichita State is in a small city in west Kansas that has no market and no recruiting region to bring. It is a nothing burger of a city and Wichita State is just a nice mid-major that is 1,500 miles away. Doesn't help UConn at all.

Reaction Score
\Wichita State is good now, but they have a great coach and things could change when he leaves. \

Based on this brilliant theory maybe UCONN is done as a basketball power because we lost our hall of fame coach.

You want to keep trying or give up? Anyone who wants to keep trying should favor adding a solid basketball brand to the conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Based on this brilliant theory maybe UCONN is done as a basketball power because we lost our hall of fame coach.

You want to keep trying or give up? Anyone who wants to keep trying should favor adding a solid basketball brand to the conference.

Look at the problems UConn is having. Imagine how tough it will be for a satellite school in western Kansas. Adding a school because of how good they are at this moment is a mistake. If the AAC is going to add a school, it should be someone closer, like UMass, that can be a rival for UConn.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Look at the problems UConn is having. Imagine how tough it will be for a satellite school in western Kansas. Adding a school because of how good they are at this moment is a mistake. If the AAC is going to add a school, it should be someone closer, like UMass, that can be a rival for UConn.
I actually think Wichita State (and WSU only) is a good add. Dayton and VCU both have proven that they aren't good enough for their coach to stay. Marshall has stayed at WSU in lieu of receiving P5 offers. The Koch brothers have money to spend on him. Marshall's problem is NCAA seeding, which is something that would improve in the AAC as opposed to the MVC. This would be a case of a high tide lifting all boats. Wichita State comes in and is another program (like us) that does something in March, which brings more exposure to us. We would likely play the ECU, USF, and Tulane's of the world a little less. 12 is also a better number for scheduling purposes as nobody has to take a matchday off.

Reaction Score
Those that believe that Wichita State will sustain it's winning ways after Greg Marshall departs should be required to answer why, if Wichita State is such a basketball hotspot, that it had a mediocre winning record of 223 wins and 222 losses during the 15 seasons immediately before Coach Marshall arrived at the school.

Reaction Score
Those that believe that Wichita State will sustain it's winning ways after Greg Marshall departs should be required to answer why, if Wichita State is such a basketball hotspot, that it had a mediocre winning record of 223 wins and 222 losses during the 15 seasons immediately before Coach Marshall arrived at the school.

You do realize that Greg Marshall more than likely just turned down the Indiana Job. Doubtful that they hire Miller without first kicking Marshall's tires. Obviously he likes it there, he is making a huge amount of money in a low cost of living area with low taxes. The have a passionate fan base that loves him. He can retire there.

Where the heck is Greg Marshall going?

UMASS is a double edged sword for UCONN and right now they offer the AAC's basketball profile zilch, so it is doubtful the rest of the conference would vote for them and UCONN probably isn't voting for them either.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You do realize that Greg Marshall more than likely just turned down the Indiana Job. Doubtful that they hire Miller without first kicking Marshall's tires. Obviously he likes it there, he is making a huge amount of money in a low cost of living area with low taxes. The have a passionate fan base that loves him. He can retire there.

Where the heck is Greg Marshall going?

UMASS is a double edged sword for UCONN and right now they offer the AAC's basketball profile zilch, so it is doubtful the rest of the conference would vote for them and UCONN probably isn't voting for them either.
UMass is a lot like Rutgers, promising better results if they just get invited to a better conference.

Reaction Score
My problem with this scenario - UConn moving all sports but Football to the BE is that it means the door is basically permanently shut on the B1G, ACC or any other P5 scenario. I don't see us moving to the BE in 2019 and then again to to a P5 for all sports in 2024. I suppose it could happen, but gee whiz that is a lot of movement.
You may not see a move to the NBE in 2019, another move to a P5 for all sports in 2024, and envision such changes as a lot of movement, but gee whiz how can any UConn alum, student, or other Huskies' fan not hope, dream, and even pray for such a dynamic metamorphosis? Bring it, B1G time ... or even NACC!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

WSU has Koch money. They will probably be the best program in the league 10 years from now. Certainly would bet them over everyone but maybe UConn or Cinci.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Until the way these conference generate the lion's share of their revenues changes nobody in the P5 is adding anyone outside of the P5.

They are much more focused on how to ditch Iowa State and Wake Forest than trying to parse UConn, Cinci and Houston.

Reaction Score
Don't invite Wichita because Marshall might leave, but invite UMass now?
No doubt, because inviting a UMess program with nothing to speak of in decades and failure to even hire a coach is what success is all about. :rolleyes: Even if Marshall leaves Wichita State, at least the Shockers have recent success, strong fan support, and are less likely to swing and miss when hiring a new coach. Plus, they're located in a better area for what most UConn fans ideally should hope, dream, even pray to the Huskies' gods the NAAC looks like after we hopefully get rescued off of our island by a P5 (or P4) conference!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom