Wichita State Emerges As Potential Basketball Only Add To AAC (Officially Official) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Wichita State Emerges As Potential Basketball Only Add To AAC (Officially Official)

Reaction Score
Report: Wichita State to Join AAC

"The geographic isolation of multiple schools prevents rivalries and hurts away fan attendance compared to other programs."

Who knew?

Screen_Shot_2017_04_04_at_12.29.58_PM.png

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks the AAC gives a crap about geography or really *should* be giving a crap about geography at this point needs a shrink.

But looks like it certainly helps about 5 or 6 or 7 teams quite a bit.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks the AAC gives a crap about geography or really *should* be giving a crap about geography at this point needs a shrink.

But looks like it certainly helps about 5 or 6 or 7 teams quite a bit.
This moves helps us for the next 7-8 years as long as Marshall stays (I believe he will) and we play them 2x a year. It is a good team that will put butts in the seats and make runs in March (something cough...Cincy and SMU...cough won't do).

Reaction Score
It doesn't do anything for anyone in any meaningful sense, which is exactly why it should bother nobody. What you do gain is two better basketball games on the schedule, so i'm fine with it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This moves helps us for the next 7-8 years as long as Marshall stays (I believe he will) and we play them 2x a year. It is a good team that will put butts in the seats and make runs in March (something cough...Cincy and SMU...cough won't do).

What runs are you referencing, exactly? And I dont think Wichita State does anything for fans other than reaffirm that we are playing in a mid-western JV basketball league.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It doesn't do anything for anyone in any meaningful sense, which is exactly why it should bother nobody. What you do gain is two better basketball games on the schedule, so i'm fine with it.
True, but as long as we're miserable, we'll hopefully be a little less miserable.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
What runs are you referencing, exactly? And I dont think Wichita State does anything for fans other than reaffirm that we are playing in a mid-western JV basketball league.
They have gotten to the Final Four once and the Sweet Sixteen at least two other times in the last 10 or so years and were undeservedly matched up with Kentucky the year they were undefeated. To contrast, SMU has gotten bounced in the first round twice, and Cincy has gotten to the Sweet Sixteen once in about a quarter century.

Reaction Score

They've been to a final four, a sweet sixteen, they've barely lost to Kentucky twice and are almost regularly a top 25 team with a #1 seed wedged in between.

You know who doesn't do that anymore? Us.

So say 'thank you.' Say it.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
They've been to a final four, a sweet sixteen, they've barely lost to Kentucky twice and are almost regularly a top 25 team with a #1 seed wedged in between.

You know who doesn't do that anymore? Us.

So say 'thank you.' Say it.

So a total of a single final four and a handful of sweet 16's, in their entire history. Exciting.

There is simply no reason to add them if we aren't kicking someone out. Schedule them OOC and don't send them our money.

Reaction Score
So a total of a single final four and a handful of sweet 16's, in their entire history. Exciting.

There is simply no reason to add them if we aren't kicking someone out. Schedule them OOC and don't send them our money.

I wonder what planet some people live on sometimes.

Well below average football in a market where no one cares way off the beaten geographic path from the rest of their conference where they can't even get it to a 1/3 full on opening night after papering 16,000 tickets and can't even sell 3,000 to a Fiesta Bowl.

EXCITING

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I wonder what planet some people live on sometimes.

Well below average football in a market where no one cares way off the beaten geographic path from the rest of their conference where they can't even get it to a 1/3 full on opening night after papering 16,000 tickets and can't even sell 3,000 to a Fiesta Bowl.

EXCITING

Why do we need enemies when our own fans are too stupid/ignorant/misleading (you tell me which you are) to post accurate information.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

All recent under Marshall. That's the point. And they have been doing it with predominantly crappy seeds out of the MVC. They will be seeded better out of the AAC.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
All recent under Marshall. That's the point. And they have been doing it with predominantly crappy seeds out of the MVC. They will be seeded better out of the AAC.

Yeah, that infamous AAC seeding respect. The NCAA has not respect for this conference, and nor should they after this laughable, short-term add.

Reaction Score
Why do we need enemies when our own fans are too stupid/ignorant/misleading (you tell me which you are) to post accurate information.

Is our football anything other than what could be considered 'average'?

Are we not the most detached team geographically in the entire conference?

Have you or have you not had a sellout in your stadium since 2013?

Did PC Richards not buy up half the tickets in the entire stadium and still not pack the place?

Did we or did we not have embarrassing Fiesta Bowl ticket sales? Would the same thing happen almost anywhere else with any other even acceptable P5 football team?

We're here and create value to this worthless conference because of the basketball program. The only sports-related value we *really* create for other conferences is through out basketball programs. The truth is - everyone in this conference doesn't want to be in this conference. And everyone lags in some area - whether it's lousy/no football (Us, Wichita) or crappy academics (most of the schools) or small market size or something. It's an island of misfit, flawed toys. And the only way they get off the discount rack is with each other - because if they don't, they're not even on the floor of the store. The wanton elitism around here is flipping mind blowing.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Source: Wichita State to join American Athletic Conference
"Wichita State University will leave the Missouri Valley Conference and become a member of the American Athletic Conference, a WSU Athletic Department source tells KAKE News. The source said WSU will begin play in all sports in the AAC in the 2017-18 school year."

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yeah, that infamous AAC seeding respect. The NCAA has not respect for this conference, and nor should they after this laughable, short-term add.
We have been disrespected no doubt. However, that will be mitigated some (not a lot, but some) by Wichita State being in the conference.

Reaction Score
Our conference has been disrespected, largely, because it's been a terrible conference. We got two 6 seeds this year because no one beat anyone outside of conference except Cincy over a good not great ISU team.

I suspect our conference will be treated better if we have better teams. That seem like a "duh" statement, but WSU will be a new team that will be--for the next few years or so--a really good team.

Side note: they better not cut this conference in half and force us to play USF, UCF, Temple, Cincy, and ECU twice. Like the ONBE, the winning programs should play each other twice (UConn, Cincy, SMU, Memphis, WSU, Temple--maybe replace Memphis and Temple with Houston and UCF next year). The league needs whatever marketable games it can get. Going to divisions handcuffs them unnecessarily.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Our conference has been disrespected, largely, because it's been a terrible conference. We got two 6 seeds this year because no one beat anyone outside of conference except Cincy over a good not great ISU team.

I suspect our conference will be treated better if we have better teams. That seem like a "duh" statement, but WSU will be a new team that will be--for the next few years or so--a really good team.

Side note: they better not cut this conference in half and force us to play USF, UCF, Temple, Cincy, and ECU twice. Like the ONBE, the winning programs should play each other twice (UConn, Cincy, SMU, Memphis, WSU, Temple--maybe replace Memphis and Temple with Houston and UCF next year). The league needs whatever marketable games it can get. Going to divisions handcuffs them unnecessarily.

They won't because they are not that stupid. We will play Wichita State, Cincy, SMU, and at least Memphis (if not Temple as well) twice a year.

Reaction Score
They won't because they are not that stupid. We will play Wichita State, Cincy, SMU, and at least Memphis (if not Temple as well) twice a year.
I mean, Cincy is our "rival" so that seems like a no brainer. WSU and UConn will have some novelty to it, so I think it will happen. SMU/UConn is sort of a rivalry, though they seem to own us like late-BE Louisville. Memphis and UConn seem to not like each other, but I don't think it's TV that people watch because the two teams haven't been great, but it's something. Same thing with Temple--and they're close at least.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I mean, Cincy is our "rival" so that seems like a no brainer. WSU and UConn will have some novelty to it, so I think it will happen. SMU/UConn is sort of a rivalry, though they seem to own us like late-BE Louisville. Memphis and UConn seem to not like each other, but I don't think it's TV that people watch because the two teams haven't been great, but it's something. Same thing with Temple--and they're close at least.
As long as those five are on the schedule twice, I'm happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom