Why we won't have a good student section at Dallas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why we won't have a good student section at Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 2011 I did not win the lottery, bud I did get an email from the school and purchased tickets.

The lack of transportation/subsidy is what caused the issue. That caused the lottery winners to pass. After they pass the entire student body was given the opportunity and most still didn't take it.
This is literally what's happening. You think there would be a buzz on campus, facebook, or twitter about students going to the final four. I haven't heard a thing, which is really worrying me.

Another problem with that is students see that season ticket holders aren't going and figure that it isn't worth paying that much money or spending that much time if there isn't going to be a good showing.

D

Deleted member 3149

This was true of VCU as well.

Didn't get a chance to meet any VCU fans, but they were heavily represented in Houston. If i remember correctly, didn't UConn give free tickets to U of Houston students?

Reaction Score
I was there in 2011 and i remember talking to some Butler fans who told me they told me they were bused down for free by the school. Pretty sure they mentioned that their hotels were paid for as well.
That would be awesome.

Reaction Score
student season ticket holders who are obviously fans should get first and only shot at FF tix.

Not all the student season ticket holders are die hard fans. The University ruined and took away the system that put the season tickets in the die hard fans hands.

Back about 7 years ago if you wanted UConn basketball season tickets you camped outside the ticket office for 2 days. The line and tents would go from the ticket office door all the way around Gampel going towards what is now soon to be the new basketball facility. It would be an all day and night party and Calhoun would buy and bring pizzas for everyone camping out and the current players would walk around and bs with the students camping out. That guaranteed the hardcore loyal fans were the ones getting the season tickets.

Lone and behold a butt hurt student claimed it was not a fair system since they would have to skip classes and how the other students who put classes first had no opportunity to get tickets. That started the current sham of a system that now makes it a lottery based on class standing. Instead of the hardcore fans camping out just about every single student enters the lottery, including those who don't even care about the team or going to games, and if they win they hand them off to friends who want the tickets just to hold inventory and sell them. It takes the tickets out of the hardcore fans and puts them in the hands of students just looking to make a buck.

If they don't want to do it that way they should do it similar to Clemson where each game tickets go on sale and each day only certain students are able to purchase the tickets. IE Mondays from 9-12 seniors, Mondays 1-4 juniors, Tuesday 9-12 sophomores, Tuesday 1-4 freshman and then if any student tickets are left over after those its open to everyone up until game time.

The system has created a ticket marketplace that wasn't quite as big back in the day because the majority held on and used their tickets as they gave 2 days just to get a chance at having tickets.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't get a chance to meet any VCU fans, but they were heavily represented in Houston. If i remember correctly, didn't UConn give free tickets to U of Houston students?

Yes. And Rice, but we made them stand behind us. Also I ended up getting 3 alumni friends (I was a grad student at the time) down on the floor with wristbands by asking the manager handing them out, "do you want these going to uconn alumni who have already paid for tickets or to random students from other schools."

I plan to try that again this year.

Reaction Score
You cannot resell the student Final Four tickets, so those looking to do so are going to be rudely awakened.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only thing that should deter a student or alumni is finding transportation that fits within one's budget and schedule. Once the travel packages do not sell out the tickets will be made available at cost; and student tickets are way, way less expensive and will also be available to all students once they don't sell out to season ticket holders.

Because the Dallas area is so huge and spread out, finding reasonable accommodations should also be fairly easy.

The problem is finding reasonable airfare. Flying into nearby cities greatly reduces the cost, but increases the travel time. Those who have time to do that, or to drive the whole thing, should not be put off by tickets, or lodging.

Reaction Score
Any student or fan looking to fly should check prices from Boston, it's cheaper - and I can help find free/cheap parking for the time you'll be going.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how UConn has not adopted busing students. Have they not learned? I'm staring at buy or sell and there's a few posts with students trying to rally other students together to try and get a bus system going but that's really tough for an unorganized group students to do. How doesn't UConn get involved??? It would obviously create a buzz around campus, more people will end up saying that they're going, and pretty soon everyone will be wanting to get on one of those buses to Dallas. Unfortunately, scattered groups of 5 students or so probably can't make this happen.

Reaction Score
Alum tickets require purchasing a hotel room. I would assume the student ticket is the same deal.

Doesn't say or imply that in student email - $40 for semi-final, National Championship game free.

Reaction Score
At a lot of other schools they have a point system based on games attended. UConn needs to adopt this. Upon entering Gampel or the Rent or Frietas, etc. the students have their ID's scanned and receive a point that stays with them until graduation, hence, the more sporting events you go to, the more points you get, the better your chances at getting season tickets. In a sense, you earn your right to purchase season tickets rather than relying on luck. Another benefit of doing this is that it promotes other sports. You'll start to see die-hard basketball fans at a baseball game or a field hockey game because they know it'll help their standing once basketball season rolls around.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Any student or fan looking to fly should check prices from Boston, it's cheaper - and I can help find free/cheap parking for the time you'll be going.
LGA to Houston was $350~

Reaction Score
I don't know man back in 09 I didn't win the studen the student lottery, but someone emailed a link and I was still able to buy tickets in the student section for 20 bucks! what a deal. And if they won I would of gotten them for another twenty. That year I student section was basically full, we were next to nova's which was barely a third full. UNC and MSU for obvious reasons had a crazy presence. But if students get flights out to dallas they would spend much money other then the hotel rooms

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
At a lot of other schools they have a point system based on games attended. UConn needs to adopt this. Upon entering Gampel or the Rent or Frietas, etc. the students have their ID's scanned and receive a point that stays with them until graduation, hence, the more sporting events you go to, the more points you get, the better your chances at getting season tickets. In a sense, you earn your right to purchase season tickets rather than relying on luck. Another benefit of doing this is that it promotes other sports. You'll start to see die-hard basketball fans at a baseball game or a field hockey game because they know it'll help their standing once basketball season rolls around.

Great post. This is the type of incentive I am hoping our university can adopt. The current process is broken.

Reaction Score
While it's a lot more difficult to bus UConn students to Texas from New England than it is for Butler to do it from Indiana, the school could rent several buses for a week and suggest hotels, say, 1/2 hour from the venue, with transport to and from the hotel to the venue.

If I were the school, I wouldn't get involved with hotels and rooms directly. These are college students. They should think of nothing of piling 6-8 students into a room of 2 Queen beds, a couch, a couple cots, the floor with sleeping bags, etc. That's how it should be done.

Reaction Score
If any student wants to sign up and sell me his/her ticket, I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable price for it (Sorry if any rules on this board are broken by this post).

I live in Bellaire, TX and have been fortunate enought to see us win in Houston and San Antonio. Seeing the Dallas trifecta would be awesome. Thanks.

P.S. I would be looking for 3/4 itckets - me and my three kids - one may not want to go but I'd def. take 3.

This TCU writer is selling his ticket

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2871&t=12784083

Reaction Score
Great post. This is the type of incentive I am hoping our university can adopt. The current process is broken.

If non lottery winners can buy after the lottery winners don't buy the school's allotment, and before the school returns the tickets to the NCAA, then I don't know what the problem is.

If the school returns the tickets without giving non lottery winning students a chance to buy, then that would be criminal, but I absolutely cannot to believethis is so.

Reaction Score
My brother and I are going with two student tickets. I appreciate that the cost for the tickets is reasonable at $40. That is commendable. On the other hand, the true expense is the airfare and hotel. I'm afraid that will keep alot of other students from going --we are flying out of Boston and staying at the Extended Stay America in Arlington.

Any advice?

Reaction Score
I'd be willing to donate a few bucks to students looking to go.

Reaction Score
Similarly to how embarassing our showing was in 2011, I don't expect our student section to be close to full in Dallas.
Why? It's not an issue of lack of support/fans the students, we have plenty of those. The reason why will be because of our terrible Student-section lottery ticket system that still remains in place.

The student-section ticket lottery is a JOKE! Students who are not basketball fans enter the ticket lottery only with the intention of up-selling the tickets to the hungry basketball fans who are willing to pay double their face value.

That's fine-and-dandy for the regular season games.
However, guess who gets an e-mail from the university offering up the discounted student-section tickets to the final 4? That's right... all of those students who entered and 'WON' the lottery with no intention of going to the games. All of the unlucky die-hard fans that didn't win the lottery and had to buy tickets off another student will not get the Final4 ticket e-mail.

Some die-hard students that didn't win the lottery will get lucky and get in contact with a student who is willing to sell their Final4 student tickets, but again, they will be up-sold most likely. But a majority of the students who entered themselves in ticket lottery with the only intention of up-selling their tickets will not do anything regarding the Final4 student ticket e-mail and the tickets will go to waste. We will have another embarrassing showing from our student section, and it won't be the students' fault.

The student ticket lottery system is broken, and it must be fixed. The university is the only one who can fix it. Bring back the camp-out so that only our most dedicated fans are getting the tickets and that no one can easily enter an online lottery and up-sell them.

Why has no one from the Daily Campus put this on the front page of the sports section?! It's an obvious gaffe from our Athletic department and it's been an ongoing issue since I was a Junior there 5 years ago. The student ticket lottery system needs to be fixed. Until it is, I'd expect another weak student section turn-out in Dallas.

Before I get flamed for this post, I #bleedblue and this was mostly posted with a constructive mindset. I want the problem fixed.
Most students don't have the cash to buy a ticket, flight and hotel room. It is a lot of money for a student to spend unless they have a rich Daddy and most don't.

Reaction Score
My brother and I are going with two student tickets. I appreciate that the cost for the tickets is reasonable at $40. That is commendable. On the other hand, the true expense is the airfare and hotel. I'm afraid that will keep alot of other students from going --we are flying out of Boston and staying at the Extended Stay America in Arlington.

Any advice?
If you need any tips on where to park in Boston let me know, I can help potentially find you free street parking to save on the exorbitant cost of the lots at Logan.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no problem opening up the student ticket lottery to all students.

Every student pays a fee that supports campus athletics, every student pays tuition, etc., etc.

Buying student season tickets is nice and it's great that students do it, but you got your value out of that and I don't think it merits making you a special class.

Nor do I think the school needs to set up some sort of subsidized travel plan for ticket holders. Students are freaking wizards at finding the cheapest path to traveling somewhere - the smart ones will figure it out.

Reaction Score
I have no problem opening up the student ticket lottery to all students.

Every student pays a fee that supports campus athletics, every student pays tuition, etc., etc.

Buying student season tickets is nice and it's great that students do it, but you got your value out of that and I don't think it merits making you a special class.

Nor do I think the school needs to set up some sort of subsidized travel plan for ticket holders. Students are freaking wizards at finding the cheapest path to traveling somewhere - the smart ones will figure it out.
This mentality is why our student section was half full in Houston.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A bus? Are you guys ducking insane? Over 24 hours one way. The airfare and hotel is likely going to keep a lot of peopleaway too especially after having dropped over $600 this weekend at MSG.

As for the lottery, it sucks but you're at UConn paying half of what everyone else pays and you don't have to sit in a cubicle 40+ hours a week so stfu lol.

Reaction Score
Booked my flight from Tweed New Haven to Houston for 377. Rental car under 150. Well worth 3 1/2 hour drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom