Why UConn needs to take step in NCAA Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why UConn needs to take step in NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
Ok. You may well know the commodities better than I do. I am curious to see how the new players play, and how well they all play together.

Given what we lost, I initially expected that we might have a hiccup this season. But then our portal haul looked very promising, so I thought maybe not. Then every person I spoke with who has seen the team play and/or has spoken with Hurley has come away with a different impression, so I really don't know what to expect and have given up trying to read the tea leaves. I just want to see them play.

Rest assured, I am always excited about the season.

Oh, and I was banned from the cuse site several years ago.
Also just want to say that I wasn't directing my rant at you in particular even if it seemed that way. Just more about the general board pessimistic attitude every time someone gets excited about this team lol.

Reaction Score
I assume URI beat Creighton under Hurley. (@NJHoops said "he," not "we.")
This coming Creighton team could be a contender for a very deep tourney run. I think they’re the Jesuit school with the best construction for that task. Better physically than Gonzaga
As Rick Flair use to say
“To be the best you have to beat the best .”
I’m not getting any younger so sooner is better than later

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also just want to say that I wasn't directing my rant at you in particular even if it seemed that way. Just more about the general board pessimistic attitude every time someone gets excited about this team lol.
No worries. We have the whole spectrum here, from @Scrappy3 's eternal optimism to the perennial Debbie Downers, and everything in between.

I'm just trying to hold my expectations in check until I have a better sense of what we have. And I am really hoping that we can avoid injuries that cause major setbacks.

Reaction Score
It seems like we've been behind athletically and are getting back to normal again. Watching teams like Baylor and Houston over the last few years has been a real eye opener in terms of speed and explosiveness. We are just starting to fill out the roster with size, speed and skill at all positions. I think we’ve finally arrived and more great prospects are in the way. I expect a very good season.

Reaction Score
Hard to get through a thread of this nature without at least one Ollie failure reference huh?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm excited about this team, but cautiously optimistic given the first round exits we have seen. Once we see the team play, I suspect it will become easier to envision a nice run in March.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’d like to take this chance to plant my anti-transfer flag and say if we don’t have a good season then getting rid of our guys would’ve been for nothing and we should’ve did the program building Hurley loves to do instead.

If Hurley can’t get it done with this roster then serious questions need to be asked.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While it may be early in the season, the performance and results that UConn reaps at the Nike Tournament may very well be an indicator of where this team goes forward.
I imagine that the team will be healthy going into Oregon and at full compliment
As for the NCAA tournament - first you have to make it and you have to win games when dancing. I am puzzled as to why DH is questioning his preparation process with the team going into the Dance - he's been there before.
A one and done is unacceptable, especially vs a lower ranked opponent.
I am hoping for a huge improvement this season and think the opportunity is there.

Reaction Score
I’d like to take this chance to plant my anti-transfer flag and say if we don’t have a good season then getting rid of our guys would’ve been for nothing and we should’ve did the program building Hurley loves to do instead.

If Hurley can’t get it done with this roster then serious questions need to be asked.
Every single player in our top 10 rotation is better than Diggins, Floyd, and Akok. There’s a reason why none of them transferred to teams that are better than us…

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Every single player in our top 10 rotation is better than Diggins, Floyd, and Akok. There’s a reason why none of them transferred to teams that are better than us…
I hope so man. The people who hear stuff on this board haven’t been too glowy about the reports. Which would be disappointing because with no inside info, yeah I’d expect guys like Newton especially to be an upgrade.

I also feel like it’s hard to speak on guys we didn’t see play.

Reaction Score
I hope so man. The people who hear stuff on this board haven’t been too glowy about the reports. Which would be disappointing because with no inside info, yeah I’d expect guys like Newton especially to be an upgrade.

I'm gonna just say this, there is a reason why Diggins and Akok could barely sniff the court even when we had injuries all over the place. There's also a reason why one of them had to downgrade to the worst team in the A10, and the other went to a Big East team that went 0-19 in conference games last season. Akok would still be a Husky (or in the NBA) if he never got injured, but sadly he will likely never be that same player again.

Newton was an all-AAC player last season, averaged 18PPG while scoring double digit points in 28/30 games. He's gonna be the real deal AND we don't even need him to be our #1 or #2 scoring option. That duty belongs to Sanogo and Hawkins.

Reaction Score
As for the NCAA tournament - first you have to make it and you have to win games when dancing. I am puzzled as to why DH is questioning his preparation process with the team going into the Dance - he's been there before.

This is a crazy idea, but hear me out.

You could read the article.

""A first-round game at UConn is a lot different than a first-round game at Rhode Island," Hurley pointed out, "where you haven't been to the NCAA tournament in 18 years and you play Creighton in the first round and beat them by (12), and have Oregon beat in the second round ... and you're up by five (and lose). There's a freeness, a looseness, a pressureless feel when you coach at a place like that ... when you're the underdog."

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm gonna just say this, there is a reason why Diggins and Akok could barely sniff the court even when we had injuries all over the place. There's also a reason why one of them had to downgrade to the worst team in the A10, and the other went to a Big East team that went 0-19 in conference games last season. Akok would still be a Husky (or in the NBA) if he never got injured, but sadly he will likely never be that same player again.

Newton was an all-AAC player last season, averaged 18PPG while scoring double digit points in 28/30 games. He's gonna be the real deal AND we don't even need him to be our #1 or #2 scoring option. That duty belongs to Sanogo and Hawkins.
I don’t see the reason for Diggins. If guys like Beverly and Austrie could carve out roles at UConn I seriously find it hard to believe Diggins could’ve at minimum been an extra ball handler. Think him not playing all year affected his school choice as well but we’ll see how he does in the upcoming year.

Akok was also recruited to go to WVU. Bob Huggins visited Storrs and he’s no slouch of a coach.

I completely agree on paper that this team should be better and Newton should be great. I just don’t like what I’ve heard from those who’s brought the small practice tidbits over. Games are almost here though.

Reaction Score

Good news then, this is from The Athletic mock draft today about Hawkins after seeing practice:

Jordan Hawkins is a killer potential floor spacer with real athleticism at 6-foot-5, and those players are in shorter supply than you’d think. He is terrific at flying off screens and getting his feet set to fire on-balance, something that scouts expect to see plenty of this season after visiting Connecticut practices. Hawkins has looked like arguably the best player there, apparently, and seems to have taken a leap. The big questions for him revolve around what happens when he puts the ball on the deck. Can he consistently process the game and make passes without losing the ball? Can he attack closeouts and not get run off the line every single time?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Good news then, this is from The Athletic mock draft today about Hawkins after seeing practice:

Jordan Hawkins is a killer potential floor spacer with real athleticism at 6-foot-5, and those players are in shorter supply than you’d think. He is terrific at flying off screens and getting his feet set to fire on-balance, something that scouts expect to see plenty of this season after visiting Connecticut practices. Hawkins has looked like arguably the best player there, apparently, and seems to have taken a leap. The big questions for him revolve around what happens when he puts the ball on the deck. Can he consistently process the game and make passes without losing the ball? Can he attack closeouts and not get run off the line every single time?
I’m probably one of the most optimistic Hawkins people on the board so I’m not sure why this is directed to me. I’ve been beating the drum that he should’ve gotten way more playing time last year all off season and think he’ll be a star this year now that he’s the focus of the offense. He won’t have confidence issues either getting 30 mins a game and not having to worry about being pulled for every little mistake.

My concerns are, especially after what some have been reporting, with the transfers.

Reaction Score
I’m probably one of the most optimistic Hawkins people on the board so I’m not sure why this is directed to me. I’ve been beating the drum that he should’ve gotten way more playing time last year all off season and think he’ll be a star this year now that he’s the focus of the offense. He won’t have confidence issues either getting 30 mins a game and not having to worry about being pulled for every little mistake.

My concerns are, especially after what some have been reporting, with the transfers.
I know you are, you said everything coming out of practice about this team is negative. So I was pointing out the piece of new info from today that was very positive

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I know you are, you said everything coming out of practice about this team is negative. So I was pointing out the piece of new info from today that was very positive
I did not say this.

Reaction Score
I did not say this.
Yes you did, I circled it to make it easy for you to find

C39043D3-F51B-4678-B3D8-CBA5E802F317.jpeg

Reaction Score
I would prefer this article got a bit more low level. Yes, DH deserves some more pressure to win in the NCAA. But there are early indications our backcourt could be a limiting factor again this year. If this happens, in my opinion it will be the 3rd year in a row.

So yes, gotta win some NCAA games DH. But more fundamentally, DH has gotta put together a backcourt that isn't a weakness in the big games.

Reaction Score
Our lead dogs have to perform in the big dance. Our newest NBAer shot 3-17 in two games, for example. How much is that on the coach?
That was one of my biggest disappointments from the last couple of years following the team. Tyrese had arguably his worst two games of his UConn career in the two biggest games. We get even a decent performance from him and we win at least one of those games.

Reaction Score

I don’t understand a guards inability to ‘put the ball on the deck’ at this level. If you can shoot like Hawkins how can he not learn to effectively dribble??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom