Why UConn needs to take step in NCAA Tournament | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why UConn needs to take step in NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
It’s weird when y’all fight with each other and bring coaches who have nothing to do with your lil personal grudges into it. Like, really weird.

I’m not fighting just talking UConn hoops and expectations. When people assume things are asinine or constantly obnoxious because it’s not in agreement with their thoughts, I just stray a little. Plus I think we need to just get basketball started our discussions will lean more towards the players soon.

Reaction Score
Consistently obnoxious? You know what else is making sure you get an Ollie mention in post 5-6 years later. He won a National title so why not ask our coach to make sure he doesn’t go one and out again?
Huh?

Reaction Score
FWIW.. If you followed JC's career growth and DH's.. At about DH's age --JC began to deliver NCs.. Just like players. Coaches evolve.

Perhaps DH is starting to get it figured out as he upgrades the talent on his roster
Dan has another 8 years to get to the same age as Calhoun's first title. But he's about the same age as dream season JC.

Reaction Score
You wouldn’t understand. No worries lol
Oh no I got it, just thought that was the only appropriate response to your unnecessary white knight defense of KO, who I mentioned in passing simply to reference the start of Hurley’s tenure and didn’t attack at all. Lol

Reaction Score
Yep this is a consistently obnoxious take from a few on this board. No one is a doomer for stating that Hurley has done a great job with rousing the program out of its post-KO malaise, but that if his performance in the post season doesn’t improve (or heck, even to be consistently ranked and highly at that, which would make forgiving the losses in a single elimination tournament easier to bear) then it’s fair to question if he’s the best long term option at coach.

DH has gotten our program back to where it’s recruiting pretty well and winning a lot of the games it should. The next step is to be consistently ranked and to win BE and NCAA tourney games. He’s had his recruiting classes come in now. Clock is ticking
That’s it exactly. You can’t lose game 1 in the tournament to a worse seed every year and be a great coach. My biggest concern about Hurley is that my URI friend (former player who remains very involved) said in big time spots he spits the bit. My second is that he has a Seton Hall world view…the NCAA tournament is good enough. I can tell you that from his first day on campus Calhoun was trying to figure out how to win it all. I doubt Hurley even considers it.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand a guards inability to ‘put the ball on the deck’ at this level. If you can shoot like Hawkins how can he not learn to effectively dribble??

Because it's a different skill he didn't develop at any early age on his own.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that from his first day on campus Calhoun was trying to figure out how to win it all. I doubt Hurley even considers it.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shooting practice is a lot more fun than dribbling practice.

Reaction Score
That’s it exactly. You can’t lose game 1 in the tournament to a worse seed every year and be a great coach. My biggest concern about Hurley is that my URI friend (former player who remains very involved) said in big time spots he spits the bit. My second is that he has a Seton Hall world view…the NCAA tournament is good enough. I can tell you that from his first day on campus Calhoun was trying to figure out how to win it all. I doubt Hurley even considers it.
You could fuel the Hudson with all your verbal diarrhea.

Reaction Score
You could fuel the Hudson with all your verbal diarrhea.
Yo. .Easy SJ.. Hudson River is a prominent river that has a lot of strong history(commerce) in the Northeast .. Don't need any additional "stuff" standing in the way of progress.

Reaction Score
FWIW.. If you followed JC's career growth and DH's.. At about DH's age --JC began to deliver NCs.. Just like players. Coaches evolve.

Perhaps DH is starting to get it figured out as he upgrades the talent on his roster
FWIW, Calhoun took Northeastern to the 2nd round of the tournament in their 1st year of eligibility. They just transitioned to D1 and we’re ineligible under the rules at the time their firs D1 year. Won their league though. He won as many NCAA tournament games at Northeastern than Hurley has won In his career. Went to the Elite Eight in his 4th year. Plus won an NIT in his second. Please don’t compare a guy who to date has been a pretty good coach to one of the all time greats in the sport.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Please don’t compare a guy who to date has been a pretty good coach to one of the all time greats in the sport.
You're literally the only one who compares Hurley to Calhoun. We know Hurley isn't Calhoun, basically no one is or ever could be. Just appreciate that he's a very good coach who could be great.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Calhoun took Northeastern to the 2nd round of the tournament in their 1st year of eligibility. They just transitioned to D1 and we’re ineligible under the rules at the time their firs D1 year. Won their league though. He won as many NCAA tournament games at Northeastern than Hurley has won In his career. Went to the Elite Eight in his 4th year. Plus won an NIT in his second. Please don’t compare a guy who to date has been a pretty good coach to one of the all time greats in the sport.
The comment was made relative to DH's age at this time ..Still "young" .. And the relative age of JC as his career began to take off.. It would be silly to compare their careers at this point.. Strictly an age comment

Reaction Score
You're literally the only one who compares Hurley to Calhoun. We know Hurley isn't Calhoun, basically no one is or ever could be. Just appreciate that he's a very good coach who could be great.
So far Hurley has shown himself to be a solid mid-major coach who has been pretty ordinary at the major level. Highest finish in the league has been 3rd. New Big East Tournament best finish semi finals. NCAA two bids: 0-2. You could probably replace him with 25 other pretty good major conference coaches and end up with a similar result. Or just accept that he is going to be Herb Sendek.

Reaction Score
So far Hurley has shown himself to be a solid mid-major coach who has been pretty ordinary at the major level. Highest finish in the league has been 3rd. New Big East Tournament best finish semi finals. NCAA two bids: 0-2. You could probably replace him with 25 other pretty good major conference coaches and end up with a similar result. Or just accept that he is going to be Herb Sendek.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So far Hurley has shown himself to be a solid mid-major coach who has been pretty ordinary at the major level...Or just accept that he is going to be Herb Sendek.
Objectively not true. Taking a losing program to the Dance twice in a row in his first four years is much better than ordinary. He's restablished the program and it is on a roll. And it's not that I care two whits about Herb Sendak but I can't stand folks who try to use decent people as a perjorative when they make their weak points. It's -2 as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
You should stick to the FB board. At least over there you're not totally insufferable...relatively speaking.

Reaction Score
Objectively not true. Taking a losing program to the Dance twice in a row in his first four years is much better than ordinary. He's restablished the program and it is on a roll. And it's not that I care two whits about Herb Sendak but I can't stand folks who try to use decent people as a perjorative when they make their weak points. It's -2 as far as I'm concerned.
I like Herb Sendek. And he wasn’t an awful coach. Got his teams to the NCAA tournament pretty regularly at NC State. He made 5 straight including a Sweet 16. Plus got Arizona State to the Round of 32. Hurley actually has a way to go to be Sendek. To date Hurley looks like a lot of coaches. He’s fine. Not going to win you a championship but he’ll rarely put really bad teams out there. He is as I said, pretty good. If you traded him for any number of coaches. In fact if you look at the current crop of New Big East Coaches you have to wonder if he will have some trouble keeping up.

College basketball is full of guys who succeeded at lower levels before hitting a ceiling once they got a high major job. He has surpassed some and isn’t as good as others. Based on what he has delivered so far I think it is likely that UConn needn’t pack more than 1 change of clothes when they go to the Dance. Of course to date they didn’t need to pack anything. Eventually I suspect UConn fans will want more. Though that might not be true. Perhaps we will like being another Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Either way, Alex Karaban didn’t mince words after the UConn men’s basketball team's practice on Saturday.

“I think we can be a national championship team,” the 6-foot-8 forward proclaimed. “We have the talent level, we have the great coaching staff. The only thing that can stop us is ourselves. If we don’t come in every day with it, I think we’ll fall short of expectations. But I really think we’re a national championship team.”

Ultimately, Hurley appreciates Karaban’s confidence.

“My expectation is that his class will win a national championship here. That’s the goal, that’s what we’re all here for. I’m thrilled to hear that, that that’s what he’s talking about and not an individual award or self-obsessed, which unfortunately has crept into the college game.”

freescooter with another bad take. What else is new?

UConn men's basketball team enters season-opener confident yet 'vulnerable'

Reaction Score
Freescooter on Calhoun and constantly ripped the program when he was running the show. He's just changed the target of his nonsense. When Hurley moves on he'll be ripping whoever replaces him. Engaging with him is just a massive waste of energy.

Reaction Score
Freescooter on Calhoun and constantly ripped the program when he was running the show. He's just changed the target of his nonsense. When Hurley moves on he'll be ripping whoever replaces him. Engaging with him is just a massive waste of energy.
Yeah but I like proving him wrong because he's such an arrogant DB and so negative. Although his arrogance would never let him admit any of his is wrong.

Reaction Score
Counterpoint to your vibe on Freescooter.. Where does he go/what does he do when DH scores Banner #5??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom