Why keep football ? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Why keep football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh, how the boneyard faithful saddens me. Reminds me of Rocky IV Apollo Creed match with Drago. “Throw the damn towel!”

I am not ready to throw the damn towel until we have cashed in all of our remaining chips on RE’s tenure. I wanna go out like Apollo Creed.

Reaction Score
Not sure how academically competitive your child was, but my Daughter went to Fordham on a scholorship that made her tuition like Uconn In State. U`conn wanted her to attend Avery Point, Despite a SAT of 1,400 on a 1,600 scale, and a 3.5 High school GPA. Well, she and my $$ went to Fordham, my $5,000 to Uconn athletics ceased, Uconn and the horse they rode in on. I speak with my State Rep regularly, and continue to stress no funding for the Joke that I attended, Uconn
You should go back to UConn, maybe they can teach you how to spell.

Reaction Score
This is getting ugly...

It makes my mind wander to other things...like

...why did the Flintstones celebrate Christmas?

...How come they don't make "B" size batteries?

...How do they have Interstates in Hawaii?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah MBB-only fans are pretty vocal about their anger towards the football program/desire for it to implode in a blazing inferno
Really? A few idiots perhaps but the bulk of us understand that a viable football program is needed to have a shot at the P5 and stability for the athletic department, even if it just a hail mary pass at this point.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Really? A few idiots perhaps but the bulk of us understand that a viable football program is needed to have a shot at the P5 and stability for the athletic department, even if it just a hail mary pass at this point.

Unfortunately, in my view I would switch the attributes of the "few" and the "bulk."

Reaction Score
Has anyone that our recruiting this year is absolutely horrific? Better players aren’t on their way

Reaction Score
So I asked the question today to my co worker who also was a former Football player under Randy (Lou Allen).
Is Randy the right man for the job? He replied who else knows this program better then him. He also said just give him time, he is still working with player's that someone else recruited. He needs to have a chance to work with all his player's he recruited.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is getting ugly...

They did make b size batteries for a long time. You are old enough to remember.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is getting ugly...

Reaction Score
This is getting ugly...

Why are the women's teams at Fairfield University the "Stags?" Shouldn't they be the "Does?" At least that's better than the "Lady Stags", which was just stupid.

Reaction Score
My favorite Flintstones episode was the one where Fred and Barney joined the volunteer fire department. It was a big sham because everything was made of stone, so they just hung out at the firehouse, played cards, and congratulated themselves for figuring out a way to be away from home and avoid chores. Until Wilma and Betty caught wind of it, of course.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure investment from taxpayers made UConn. Were they more open to it thanks to basketball.. sure.

Contrast that to a school like UNH, which receives little taxpayer support, and you can see where this is headed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just love these post-loss threads.

Once again (again and again and again), dropping football and moving hoops to another conference would apply the following exit fee terms/conditions:

1. $10M exit fee;
2. 27 month waiting period (can be negotiated down to 12 months for additional $1M-$2M minimum)...meaning we're looking at an exit fee around $12M to leave within 12 months.

I know losing games is tough to swallow, especially in the non-competitive manner that we lose 'em. But please remember that swapping conferences is far more complicated and would bring a very real, long-term consequence to our AD/school.

If you don't want to watch or attend games until we start winning again, fine. That's your money and your time/energy. Nobody would find fault in anyone not wanting to devote 4-8 hours on game days + $50/person to go watch us lose by 50 points to teams we used to be competitive against. I went down with the Whalers and saw the same thing happen to them. I got it then as a kid and I get it now as an adult. What I don't get is why UConn fans have to go that extra "drop football" step that literally no other fanbase went during their programs' tough patches.

The Old Money Club of college football is the Old Money Club because they've all endured these rough patches and survived. It stinks that football and not basketball has dictated what school/AD is paid obnoxious money and what school/ADs isn't. If it were the opposite, UConn would be entering their 10th season as a full member of the ACC here in 2018. But here we are - we're in our program's extreme rough patch that every Old Money CFB Club member had to endure 50-100 years ago. Hopefully, Edsall will be able to rebuild this program to where it was in 2010 but it will take several years. Several years. Let me say it again: several years. So tap out for a while if you want - nobody will think anything bad about you. When the programs begins to win again in several years, you will be welcomed back with open arms.

We're not dropping football. Ever. The sooner you guys/gals can wrap your heads around this, the better. Again, nobody will blame you if you decide to tap out of UConn football while we're this historically bad. But these types of threads and wailing does absolutely nothing to help anything in the program, the school, or the state. Unless you have $10M-$12M in your couch cushions, just back quietly out of UConn football while it's being rebuilt. No need to start yet another one of these tired threads about a tired concept that the Old Money Club and our geographic r1vals (BC, RU, Fruit, Pitt, etc) would LOVE to have happen - UConn tapping out of major competitive college sports.

UConn football is generating losses equal to the exit fee less than every 2 years. So there is that.

Connecticut is a financial mess, and will be slashing pensions for teachers and cops in the near future. Do you think the public university should be losing $7 or $8 million a year on football in that environment?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn football is generating losses equal to the exit fee less than every 2 years. So there is that.

Connecticut is a financial mess, and will be slashing pensions for teachers and cops in the near future. Do you think the public university should be losing $7 or $8 million a year on football in that environment?

So now we're pinning the state's political ineptitude on UConn football? Cool. I guess it's Edsall's fault that GE left for Boston. Probably David Pindell's fault that my road has potholes on it.

Of course losing money is not optimal. But please re-read my post. If you want to stop following football while it's this historically bad, be my guest. Nobody will be mad at you. Nobody will think you are less of a fan. You'll be welcomed back when the team is winning again, if you decide to come back. If not, no worries.

Why people feel the need to make UConn football's struggles about them or some broader political argument is boggling. Just stop watching games until they win. Done and done.

Reaction Score

I asked for the accounting that shows this $7-8 Million in losses by the University. if no one wants to show the losses, I don't believe they exist.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I asked for the accounting that shows this $7-8 Million in losses by the University. if no one wants to show the losses, I don't believe they exist.

Why don't you show how the football program is making money?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So now we're pinning the state's political ineptitude on UConn football? Cool. I guess it's Edsall's fault that GE left for Boston. Probably David Pindell's fault that my road has potholes on it.

Of course losing money is not optimal. But please re-read my post. If you want to stop following football while it's this historically bad, be my guest. Nobody will be mad at you. Nobody will think you are less of a fan. You'll be welcomed back when the team is winning again, if you decide to come back. If not, no worries.

Why people feel the need to make UConn football's struggles about them or some broader political argument is boggling. Just stop watching games until they win. Done and done.

The state funds UConn $220 million a year. The last year I can find data for, 2014, showed the football program with a $7.5 million subsidy.

https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

The athletic department received $38 million in institutional subsidies and student fees last year.

None of this is sustainable. There is no path to a P5 conference, or in getting out of this vortex of financial ruin, as long as there is a football program in a G5 conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The UConn AD is going to become part of the broader political argument regardless of how the financial issues were caused.

A combination of students and taxpayers are shovelling tens of millions of dollars a year into a blackhole that is continuing to grow.

You can see the financial strain from the outside - from the blatently obvious hire of the only coach willing to work at that salary, the elimination of the spring game which just further moves the program out of the public eye and the day to day issues with things like producing a quality accurate roster.

When they slash the state’s block grant by say 50 or 75 million in the next budget cycle - that money plus all the other rising expenses that aren’t budgeted for need to be covered - there is no way a 50 million dollar athletic black hole is going to avoid scruitiny.

Personally I’d shutter the med center tomorrow but we don’t even know who will be calling the shots nevermind what what they think.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The state funds UConn $220 million a year. The last year I can find data for, 2014, showed the football program with a $7.5 million subsidy.

https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

The athletic department received $38 million in institutional subsidies and student fees last year.

None of this is sustainable. There is no path to a P5 conference, or in getting out of this vortex of financial ruin, as long as there is a football program in a G5 conference.

Eh, whatever. I can give up following college sports altogether if UConn decides to stop playing competitive sports. I can go back to following pro sports which is, ironically, far less corrupt than the so-called amateur level. But until that happens, I'm not going to stress out about budgets and finances that are completely out of my control. I'll just watch and enjoy UConn sports and hope they win. If not, I move on. Right now, my alma mater is choosing to play competitive sports at the highest possible level and I will support those efforts. If they decide to cut it, then I'll watch MLB/NFL/NHL Networks.

Losing is frustrating. I get it. My hope is that if UConn does decide to stop competing at the highest possible level, it will just let the sports die out on a vine. No need to pay an exit fee and conference swap. It really won't matter what non-P5 conference UConn would play in. All of them are being shut out.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The UConn AD is going to become part of the broader political argument regardless of how the financial issues were caused.

A combination of students and taxpayers are shovelling tens of millions of dollars a year into a blackhole that is continuing to grow.

You can see the financial strain from the outside - from the blatently obvious hire of the only coach willing to work at that salary, the elimination of the spring game which just further moves the program out of the public eye and the day to day issues with things like producing a quality accurate roster.

When they slash the state’s block grant by say 50 or 75 million in the next budget cycle - that money plus all the other rising expenses that aren’t budgeted for need to be covered - there is no way a 50 million dollar athletic black hole is going to avoid scruitiny.

Personally I’d shutter the med center tomorrow but we don’t even know who will be calling the shots nevermind what what they think.

If UConn decides to drop football and cement themselves to a non-P5 status, that would save me a ton of time and money for sure.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Let's join the Big East.

My vote is for the Yankee Conference. If we're going to punt sports, I want them to completely punt them. Saves money on travel costs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My vote is for the Yankee Conference. If we're going to punt sports, I want them to completely punt them. Saves money on travel costs.

The basketball programs make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01