Why keep football ? | The Boneyard

Why keep football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is there any reason to?
A last ditch hope at conference realignment in 2020something?
Please.
We are the worst program in FBS. Have been and will continue to be.
Men’s basketball will be okay under Hurley but y’all don’t care because your football fans and for some dumb reason you can’t cheer for UConn football and UConn basketball.
No conference wants to pick a university whose greateast recent accomplishment is a final four loss in women’s hoops.
I never even considered cutting football or going FCS/Big East until today. Play the games at GD Dunkin Donuts Park for all it matters as this week the AD made it clear the sole purpose of UConn sports is staving off bankruptcy for Hartford.

We can’t even compete vs so~so teams from our own conference and never will be able to as we can’t draw in any half decent recruits. Maybe in three years this team will be ready. Hopefully in three years I can focus on keeping my yard in shape during Autumn Saturdays.

Reaction Score
If they drop down to FCS I'm totally out. Nothing makes less sense than FCS football. If you're gonna drop it completely go ahead.

I think you got it wrong. UConn FB fans also cheer for basketball success. UConn BB fans however....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If they drop down to FCS I'm totally out. Nothing makes less sense than FCS football. If you're gonna drop it completely go ahead.

I think you got it wrong. UConn FB fans also cheer for basketball success. UConn BB fans however....

Yeah MBB-only fans are pretty vocal about their anger towards the football program/desire for it to implode in a blazing inferno

Reaction Score

UConn basketball fans are Uconn fans, if the football program wasn't such a disgrace they would be cheering for success. Pretty hard to cheer for success when you watch what looks like a clueless high school team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure I go to football and basketball games?

I’m happy to teach the football when to go/punt on 4th down and when to use time outs.

I can also teach the bb program when to call time out but it has less marginal value. They are generally better off shooting more threes.

Reaction Score

I’m happy to teach the football when to go/punt on 4th down and when to use time outs.

I can also teach the bb program when to call time out but it has less marginal value. They are generally better off shooting more threes.
Sadly, you just described the extent of coaching from our past three football coaches and our last basketball coach (over the past few seasons.)
Can't imagine what it's like in person. Does everyone just get wasted so they don't have to really understand what's happening?

Reaction Score
UConn basketball fans are Uconn fans, if the football program wasn't such a disgrace they would be cheering for success. Pretty hard to cheer for success when you watch what looks like a clueless high school team.
Eh, Its the same thing for the fb fans. Only one set of fans wishes the other sport would go away for good.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I do too. For whatever reason there is a serious lack of crossover rooting though.

For my money, we should never punt again. Give them the ball on our 1 or their 1 and they’re going to score. May as well take 4 shots.

Reaction Score
Eh, Its the same thing for the fb fans. Only one set of fans wishes the other sport would go away for good.
What's the same thing for the football fans?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You dont find FB fans that I say I like Duke BB.

But you know, there are actual Duke fans that are FB first. I parked next to one at the 1999 NC game. He told me how each Duke team gets one exemption from normal admission standards. "That's why we can never get a good tailback", he told me.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's the bandwagoners who spew nonsense. This program is not being shut down. Holy cow.
You know I’m not a “bandwagoner” I just can’t rationalize this program anymore.

Reaction Score
We are more likely to be kicked out of the AAC then anything else at this point. Football program is lost , I am not sure you could get a blind kid to play on this team in the future. The conference isn't that bad and we can barely recruit div 2 players at this point. The bear loss to Rhode island proved that.

Reaction Score
We are uconn fans. You dont find FB fans that I say I like Duke BB.

I have met UConn alums who are Notre Dame or Penn State FB fans.

I was a bb fan first, but when we went 1A in FB, I went all in on uconn FB.
Me too but I can certainly understand people who like watching real football on Saturday's, those schools play an entirely different game than what we play. I've told people I'm a UConn fan and they thought we dropped our program.

Reaction Score
Me too but I can certainly understand people who like watching real football on Saturday's, those schools play an entirely different game than what we play. I've told people I'm a UConn fan and they thought we dropped our program.
Right now, yes. But 8 years ago, we won at Notre Dame and beat South Carolina in a bowl. We hired 2 total duds following that. 100 percent our fault.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The perception of the media and some UConn hoop fans is that simply dropping football and heading back to the Big East would somehow cure everything.

It's as if being a bad team at this moment in time is an utterly incurable condition for just this one school.

Spoilers - we're not dropping football. We've had a football team since like 1895. We're not dropping to FCS and heading to the Big East unless one of you has $10,000,000 and the remains of Memorial in your back pocket.

Just endure it. It's not like it can get worse. (I hope.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom