Why keep football ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why keep football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If they drop down to FCS I'm totally out. Nothing makes less sense than FCS football. If you're gonna drop it completely go ahead.

Back in the 70s/80s, going to the Yale Bowl for the fictitious state championship was a blast. Seriously, it was.

Reaction Score
Right now, yes. But 8 years ago, we won at Notre Dame and beat South Carolina in a bowl. We hired 2 total duds following that. 100 percent our fault.
And then we brought back the guy who did this...
The perception of the media and some UConn hoop fans is that simply dropping football and heading back to the Big East would somehow cure everything.

It's as if being a bad team at this moment in time is an utterly incurable condition for just this one school.

Spoilers - we're not dropping football. We've had a football team since like 1895. We're not dropping to FCS and heading to the Big East unless one of you has $10,000,000 and the remains of Memorial in your back pocket.

Just endure it. It's not like it can get worse. (I hope.)
Been saying it can't get any worse for 6 years. I seriously don't know how they can sustain it with the money they're hemorrhaging?

Reaction Score
Back in the 70s/80s, going to the Yale Bowl for the fictitious state championship was a blast. Seriously, it was.
I watched 1AA fb at memorial. But the drop from BCS TO G5 has been bad enough. FCS? I'm out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And then we brought back the guy who did this...

Been saying it can't get any worse for 6 years. I seriously don't know how they can sustain it with the money they're hemorrhaging?

Football is not why we’re bleeding money.

Look at the schools playing FBS football and tell me that we can’t afford to be in that group.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The perception of the media and some UConn hoop fans is that simply dropping football and heading back to the Big East would somehow cure everything.

It's as if being a bad team at this moment in time is an utterly incurable condition for just this one school.

Spoilers - we're not dropping football. We've had a football team since like 1895. We're not dropping to FCS and heading to the Big East unless one of you has $10,000,000 and the remains of Memorial in your back pocket.

Just endure it. It's not like it can get worse. (I hope.)
The last two words are what scares me.

Reaction Score
The last two words are what scares me.
If this isn't rock bottom, Edsall 2.0 isn't the guy. He's in the midst of his empty cupboard moment. Need to see competency next year, followed by competitiveness the year after. If he's still with the BS after that, hit the bricks. If it get worse than this, pull the plug early on him.

Reaction Score
Certainly anyone who follows the program knew they were taking some lumps this year. We hoped for some improvement and it has not happened. Reality is football is not basketball, where you can add 2 or 3 players and have instant credibility. As bad as the team is it takes 2 to 3 years just to become competitive. Football ain't going nowhere in the foreseeable future.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If this isn't rock bottom, Edsall 2.0 isn't the guy. He's in the midst of his empty cupboard moment. Need to see competency next year, followed by competitiveness the year after. If he's still with the BS after that, hit the bricks. If it get worse than this, pull the plug early on him.

It can’t get worse.

Seriously.

I think we’ve statistically found rock bottom. Unless they make the games longer, I think this is as bad as football can get.

Reaction Score
56, 62, 49, 51, and 49. This is what we've given up in 5 games this year.

Eventually the other team stops trying to score and puts their subs in. It's hard to get worse than that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football is not why we’re bleeding money.

Look at the schools playing FBS football and tell me that we can’t afford to be in that group.

Football is the reason we're bleeding money. Advice like yours is how we got here.

Reaction Score
UConn football is a series of unfortunate events and bad decisions compounded over 8 years, resulting in an epically bad football program. I fear we are seeing the end of something that could have been special. I don’t think Edsall has it in him to fix this mess, and the school will not invest in quality staff. The writing was on the wall when they let Lashlee and Grimes escape the barn.

Reaction Score
Losing stinks but we cannot fold the program. It costs money to keep afloat but the repercussion of cutting a mutli-million dollar investment would be a massive black eye on the brand of UConn. The school has put too much time and resources just to quit. It will get better but cutting losses year two is a Joke of a take.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Is there any reason to?
A last ditch hope at conference realignment in 2020something?
Please.
We are the worst program in FBS. Have been and will continue to be.
Men’s basketball will be okay under Hurley but y’all don’t care because your football fans and for some dumb reason you can’t cheer for UConn football and UConn basketball.
No conference wants to pick a university whose greateast recent accomplishment is a final four loss in women’s hoops.
I never even considered cutting football or going FCS/Big East until today. Play the games at GD Dunkin Donuts Park for all it matters as this week the AD made it clear the sole purpose of UConn sports is staving off bankruptcy for Hartford.

We can’t even compete vs so~so teams from our own conference and never will be able to as we can’t draw in any half decent recruits. Maybe in three years this team will be ready. Hopefully in three years I can focus on keeping my yard in shape during Autumn Saturdays.
Quitter

Reaction Score
If people can be Browns fans since the 60s we can hold on to football for 8 horrible years. It will prob get lower than this, but then by some miracle it will get better. Students want football to succeed.

Reaction Score
If people can be Browns fans since the 60s we can hold on to football for 8 horrible years. It will prob get lower than this, but then by some miracle it will get better. Students want football to succeed.
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a few students who want a successful UConn football team more than they'd like to stop subsidizing the program 4 digits a year

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Schools that are able to skate by being horrible year after year aren’t paying rent on their stadium and not getting parking/concession money.

Reaction Score
Schools that are able to skate by being horrible year after year aren’t paying rent on their stadium and not getting parking/concession money.

When people talk about fundamentals this situation with having to pay rent to play at The Rent is ridiculous. I can see paying for the electric bill, the water, cleaning the locker rooms but paying rent is nonsense. The school needs to get a cut of concessions as well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
56, 62, 49, 51, and 49. This is what we've given up in 5 games this year.

Eventually the other team stops trying to score and puts their subs in. It's hard to get worse than that.

At least those numbers are trending down slightly!

Reaction Score
I'm really shocked people are working up the emotion to care one way or the other this year. The day Randy Edsall was brought back I knew the first 2-3 years he had with Diaco's players would be....a disaster. Did anyone remember the 53-17 and 62-20 losses to Hofstra and UMass respectively in his first year at UConn? Edsall and his teams looked hopeless for the first 3 years here until he got his players. It wasn't until his win at Iowa State his 4th year where it looked like we had something. The guy is not some miracle worker. It was brutal his first stint here before he got his players and it was brutal at Maryland...the entire stint.

Football is not being dropped. If you have a weak stomach, probably best tune back in sometime around 2021. If Edsall finds the magic again. We better hope he does.

Reaction Score
The writing was on the wall when they let Lashlee and Grimes escape the barn.

Losing those two coaches has nothing to do with anything. Here's a hint about the offense, Pindell isn't nearly as good as Shireffs was last year, not even close and if you have some stat or ranking that says he is throw it in the garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom