Why keep football ? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Why keep football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I once asked if Edsel has any responsibility in this . By leaving the way he did he had no input on who should be the HC to continue the program The assistant s had no clue he was leaving Perhaps if he had meet with the staff someone like a Todd Orlando or Norris Wilson could have taken overOrlando has been mentioned for several HC jobs in the SEC and is currently DC at Texas Both of those coaches bonded with the kids and Orlando wS a great coach and recruiter i think if RE1 had truly built a program as he says now it should have survived years 1 and 2 of PP
There might be something in what you say, if Hathaway would have listened. But my sense is that would not have happened. In any case Hank Hughes basically begged for the job and I bet Orlando or the OC would have taken it in a heartbeat. Same with Norriws. Indeed iirc he was interviewed for the job. But Jeff had a plan that made sense on paper. Just not in reality . But the real problem came in replacing Pasquqloninwith Diaco. He was the one who set the program way back.

Reaction Score
There was no way anyone could have predicted Diacos nuttiness - he was actually well credentialed or his inability to lead a program and drop it right in the shitter.

I could argue that P was the worst choice of the two - before we saw results. The program was at the pinnacle of its success and it should have been able to get a much better coach than PP to take cover when Edsall bailed.

Reaction Score
There was no way anyone could have predicted Diacos nuttiness - he was actually well credentialed or his inability to lead a program and drop it right in the shitter.

I could argue that P was the worst choice of the two - before we saw results. The program was at the pinnacle of its success and it should have been able to get a much better coach than PP to take cover when Edsall bailed.
My question is was the cupboard bare when RE split and maybe that helped in his decision to go to his dream job leaving PP in a crappy spot and then pp inability to coach or recruit really drove the downward spiral into the diaco fiasco.

Reaction Score
My question is was the cupboard bare when RE split and maybe that helped in his decision to go to his dream job leaving PP in a crappy spot and then pp inability to coach or recruit really drove the downward spiral into the diaco fiasco.

It certainly wasn't bare on the defensive side.

Reaction Score
My sense is UConn is never going to be Consistently great. It can be a program that will have down seasons and very good seasons and some pretty good years most of the time. Kind of Edsall 1.0. Btw Diaco was turned down for other jobs including I think BC so I think others did indeed see through his nonsense. Football guy Warde couldn’t do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom