Why keep football ? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Why keep football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure that will drive enrollment.

Do you think kids are going to keep ringing up loans that cripple them forever?

There are going to be delivery systems that are just as effective for a fraction of a cost.

Sure your kids, my kid... they can set some money on fire for the experience. The kids that become indentured servants to pay back their loans are going to become the majority and borrowing money so other kids can play sports in far flung places is going to be an issue for them.

Reaction Score
This is why the football board needs to be locked for about 24 hours after a loss. You all need to have the alcohol wear off so you don't post stupid things like this. No one is kicking UConn out and while it seems impossible now, this team will turn around and be decent in a year or two.

Many programs have gone through something similar and survived. SMU almost went winless and I believe UCF did too.

Things will get brighter in the future. Maybe not this season but we'll see it.
I agree with you football is different than any other sport. You can’t just rebound in a year or two especially what the previous coaches left this staff. They will be better and you cant just cut a football team. When all of the people that say drop football when they start winning you will be proved wrong. Edsall is a rebuilder but it might take the next coach after he retires to build a dynasty.

Reaction Score
Plus the recruiting right now isn’t too good. Once we find the recruits that want this program to thrive we will start winning

Reaction Score
My daughter is a freshman, if you offered her a $3,000 fees cut in exchange for dropping to Division 3 she and probably thousands of others would take that in a heartbeat. They don't follow sports, they don't care about sports, and the revenue sport athletes on campus are not their peers.
I guess that's why it's not voluntary. ;)

Reaction Score
My daughter is a freshman, if you offered her a $3,000 fees cut in exchange for dropping to Division 3 she and probably thousands of others would take that in a heartbeat. They don't follow sports, they don't care about sports, and the revenue sport athletes on campus are not their peers.
I would suggest that she transfer out and let someone who will embrace the UConn experience to take her place. UConn, despite what many say, is a bargain compared to its peer universities. My only experience with local private schools such as NYU and Fordham and you are looking at 60K a year nowadays. I just don't see how anyone can complain about UConn's tuition. It is a bargain still.

Reaction Score
I would suggest that she transfer out and let someone who will embrace the UConn experience to take her place. UConn, despite what many say, is a bargain compared to its peer universities. My only experience with local private schools such as NYU and Fordham and you are looking at 60K a year nowadays. I just don't see how anyone can complain about UConn's tuition. It is a bargain still.
I think it's closer to 100k at some of those Catholic big east schools.

Dropping football is an insanely stupid thing to do. The story of the University of Bridgeport and what happened to that school after 1975, should be a lesson to those who think Uconn should drop football.

Reaction Score
I think it's closer to 100k at some of those Catholic big east schools.

Dropping football is an insanely stupid thing to do. The story of the University of Bridgeport and what happened to that school after 1975, should be a lesson to those who think Uconn should drop football.
Tell more of the UB football story if you can. I'm genuinely curious.

Reaction Score
Not sure how academically competitive your child was, but my Daughter went to Fordham on a scholorship that made her tuition like Uconn In State. U`conn wanted her to attend Avery Point, Despite a SAT of 1,400 on a 1,600 scale, and a 3.5 High school GPA. Well, she and my $$ went to Fordham, my $5,000 to Uconn athletics ceased, duck Uconn and the horse they rode in on. I speak with my State Rep regularly, and continue to stress no funding for the Joke that I attended, Uconn

Reaction Score
There was a look when U Bridgeport was failing that Uconn take it over

Reaction Score
Better invest in a greatly positioned campus than a never going to win football fiasco

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there is anything UConn needs it’s a bigger physical presence they can’t afford to maintain.

Reaction Score
Do you think kids are going to keep ringing up loans that cripple them forever?

There are going to be delivery systems that are just as effective for a fraction of a cost.

Sure your kids, my kid... they can set some money on fire for the experience. The kids that become indentured servants to pay back their loans are going to become the majority and borrowing money so other kids can play sports in far flung places is going to be an issue for them.

In the next 20 years? No.

Well, not no. But it is like becoming a pop star without the labels/radio. 15 years ago they declared that the internet would launch everyone and that the infrastructure was unnecessary. So there are a good number of artists that have launched that way - but the vast majority still get signed the old way.

Find me an employer that looks at a University of Phoenix resume and a University of Brick and Mortar the same way. They don't. I'm not even going to make a value judgement as to the quality of the education - just assuming that it IS equal, they are not perceived as equal. And it is the "white-collar" kids by and large that are chasing

I'm not saying you are wrong - but we are a long way from that being a reality. Schools are still competing with each other by increasing amenities - not by providing value.

In short - we will have football long enough to figure out whether we will ever be good at it again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In the next 20 years? No.

Well, not no. But it is like becoming a pop star without the labels/radio. 15 years ago they declared that the internet would launch everyone and that the infrastructure was unnecessary. So there are a good number of artists that have launched that way - but the vast majority still get signed the old way.

Find me an employer that looks at a University of Phoenix resume and a University of Brick and Mortar the same way. They don't. I'm not even going to make a value judgement as to the quality of the education - just assuming that it IS equal, they are not perceived as equal. And it is the "white-collar" kids by and large that are chasing

I'm not saying you are wrong - but we are a long way from that being a reality. Schools are still competing with each other by increasing amenities - not by providing value.

In short - we will have football long enough to figure out whether we will ever be good at it again.

Obviously I’m not talking about predatory garbage like Phoenix. The country would improve overnight if the feds stopped guaranteeing their loans tomorrow.

I agree there is an arms race at some schools - dorms/dining etc - but that is spending on themselves, not others.

What is going on at UConn makes zero sense: Hey let’s send 25-28 people to Houston to play a women’s soccer game. Costs a ton of money, takes a ton of time away from academics. There are 50 suitable schools you can play within van/bus driving distance.

The next few budgets are going to brutal and it’s going to put a huge spotlight on the subsidy. I think they have some runway still - but when they are talking about eliminating academic programs in 2-4 years and tuition is going up quickly there is going to be a lot of noise if Rentschler is hosting 40pt blowouts for paid crowds of 8k.

Reaction Score
Seriously, Bridgeport police dont want to slow down there
Are you serious? Not sure if you know, but Marina Village is closed down and partly demolished.

Reaction Score
Obviously I’m not talking about predatory garbage like Phoenix. The country would improve overnight if the feds stopped guaranteeing their loans tomorrow.

I agree there is an arms race at some schools - dorms/dining etc - but that is spending on themselves, not others.

What is going on at UConn makes zero sense: Hey let’s send 25-28 people to Houston to play a women’s soccer game. Costs a ton of money, takes a ton of time away from academics. There are 50 suitable schools you can play within van/bus driving distance.

The next few budgets are going to brutal and it’s going to put a huge spotlight on the subsidy. I think they have some runway still - but when they are talking about eliminating academic programs in 2-4 years and tuition is going up quickly there is going to be a lot of noise if Rentschler is hosting 40pt blowouts for paid crowds of 8k.

That certainly makes the case to go Big East / Football Indy. I could see that happening.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Not sure if you know, but Marina Village is closed down and partly demolished.
That area is improving and the police are not afraid to go there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't want to hear the crying about student fees from people who willingly decided to attend UConn. It's the height of hypocrisy when the only reason UConn is Uconn is because of...sports. The gravy train isn't a one way street. The school exploited "those people who are not your peers" for years to fund their research initiatives and the result was that it became both more expensive and harder to get into. If you're looking to roll those investments back now because the cheap labor is dried up and the state's facing a budget crisis, welcome to being a glorified UNH moving forward. It's what you deserve after years of making excuses for Herbst.

I’m pretty sure investment from taxpayers made UConn. Were they more open to it thanks to basketball.. sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom