Why isn’t Clingan… | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Why isn’t Clingan…

Reaction Score
I don't know the exact play you're referencing, but players let up on plays all the time if they're in foul trouble and don't want to draw another foul that could put the team in a bad spot. How do you know Hurley didn't get in Adama's ear going into this game that they needed him to have a big day and stay out of foul trouble? In the Villanova game, the one right before this one, he picked up his 2nd foul right after he got back in the game from being benched for his first. God forbid you give one of the guys on our team the benefit of the doubt, but you jump right to calling him selfish and a "me first" guy. What a joke.
Rico no more with you, respect you too much. Agree to disagree, Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
No kidding 5 out aren't getting into the lane with those two in the game, they're standing outside three point line raining open looks on us. Shoving it down their throats on the other end sounds cool on a message board, but in reality it means more two point attempts in a crowded lane, zero spacing, less transition points.....

Did you see us try to force the ball into AS during the Nova game? Disaster. Our offensive works best when the floor is spaced with shooters and the ball moves quickly.
The reality is we don't know what would happen, we've seen it for about 3 minutes this season. On paper Freemantle and Nunge chasing around our 4 out should've yielded over 100 points, it didn't.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It's a decision on what you live with. McDermott was fine with letting Whaley shoot threes last year, Whaley made them and Creighton won. Miller was fine with letting Jackson shoot threes, he made them until he rushed them in the chaotic last 2 minutes and Xavier won. Hurley was not okay with Nunge shooting threes, it turned into a layup line and UConn lost.

I'll take any 7 footer we play shooting threes over constant rim runs with no rim protection.
It seems under JC when we ran into teams with good shooting bigs we would kind of let them shoot. The key was getting those same shooters to play physical defense by pounding the ball into the paint or slashing to the rim. Either creates foul trouble and then the problem is solved. And those legs get tired when they have 265lbs leaning on them for 30 minutes. For some reason in this game it seemed easier to get DC the ball in the low post than AS. Hurley should have saw that and used it. I like him as a coach, but I am starting to see perhaps a deficiency in making in game adjustments. Maybe this is a learning experience or maybe SJ is going to be so good when he gets back that he will be the solution and Hurley has set the rotations in his head and does not want to mess with the master plan. Just kidding on the last comment.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo had developed a mid range game this would not be an issue, Karaban, Hawk and/or AJax could take a breather.
I’m not sure that more midrange from anyone is what we need. Our fours don’t shoot from midrange. Sanogo is the only one who shoots far twos frequently, and while he’s better than the rest of our team from there, it still isn’t very efficient. Karaban is so effective because he shoots threes and close twos.

9DD857A5-D21A-4933-BEA1-002471729267.jpeg

Reaction Score
The reality is we don't know what would happen, we've seen it for about 3 minutes this season. On paper Freemantle and Nunge chasing around our 4 out should've yielded over 100 points, it didn't.
Because Karaban isn't a significantly better athlete than either of them, he wasn't shaking loose. Both on paper and in reality.

Reaction Score
Wait do your homework please this isn't the Nova of the past they don't rain 3s and X was 4 for 13 from 3 you know why? Because they were scoring at ease in the paint, taking our guys off the dribble.

I am not saying it's the ONLY way to go but to not try it is crazy to say the least. Especially when we aren't shooting or guarding well.

And yeah I watched us force the ball into Sanogo with some crappy passes, and he didn't get great position. Let me see they were fronting him, can they front DC? Please do
They were scoring at ease in the paint because their offensive spacing, based on their frontcourt pulling our center away from the hoop, let them isolate our defenders and drive without any rim protection. The solution is what, park AS or DC in the paint and let Kalkbrenner shoot wide open 3s? If you're playing man, what do you tell our 5 to do if they don't park theirs in the lane? Is the answer in your mind just to go to zone?

The problem with the offense revolving around our centers is that it makes us incredibly one dimensional and predictable, especially with two centers who aren't really amazing passers (AS definitely isn't and DC the jury is out).

Reaction Score
Because Karaban isn't a significantly better athlete than either of them, he wasn't shaking loose. Both on paper and in reality.
Makes no sense. Nunge and Freemantle aren't better athletes than Clingan, Sanogo, and Karaban. They start Nunge, Freemantle and Kunkel. Jones and Boum are the only guys you could maybe make a case are plus athletes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If the two of them are in at the same time, then the outside game isn't going to be the point of emphasis and Karaban is likely sitting. One is going to the high post and the other is going to the opposite block down low. Likely Adama at high post to give space to go by or create contact from an undersized 4. If guard help crashes, you kick outside and swing to Hawkins. If low help, easy dump to Clingan. If no help, then it's Sanogo one on one banging around for good position for a close shot. I don't see this lineup going more than 3 minutes though so you could sit Newton and let AJ run point for that time.
Agree. In the 3 minute scenario ti would be a gimmick offense to break things up. Some folks want it as a main focus of the offense.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
If Sanogo had developed a mid range game this would not be an issue, Karaban, Hawk and/or AJax could take a breather.
a breather would be appropriate. But this 'twin tower' approach can not be the mainstay of the offense for long periods.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Just for argument sake consider what that lineup could do on the defensive end against certain opposing lineups.

If we're down ten points against teams with four out good shooters and can drive to the basket or teams that play uptempo full court type of style this defense would be a disaster. But against a grind it half court team that iso a lot or want to drive to the basket like Nova and have one or more weak peripheral shooters when we're ahead by ten I feel it should be considered as an option.
As I've responded to others who have commented. Relegate the two big approach to a gimmick offense to shake things up in a unique situation. It cannot be sustained for a long period.

Reaction Score
He came in in the first half at 12:24. Creighton was leading 16-15. He went out at 8:32. Creighton was leading 27-22.
In the second half he came in with 14:57 left. We were leading 53-52. Went out at 11:25. We were leading 58-56.

Where are the runs?
We were leading 58-54 before made a basket Hurley had a temper tantrum, called a time out and pulled Clingan after Nunge beat him on a drive from the 3pt line to the basket.

DC was actually in decent position and Nunge made a tough contested layup.

Before that he affected the game on like two defensive possessions (I think) using his height to contest or block shots when Xavier drove into the paint.

It felt like a mini run and he was poised to continue to affect the game while making Xavier's starters work. Hurley should have left DC until at least the 8 min mark so that a rested Sanogo could have come in against Xavier's tired starters.

Reaction Score
AS, DC with Hawk , AJax and Newton. I would run this lineup against Xavier next game at some point. Switch Diarra with Newton or Hawk if we need a quicker player on Boum. As for tonight I do not know how this would match up but it may be worth a try.

Reaction Score
You can make your point without trying to get into Sanogo's head. There is absolutely zero indication that he didn't contest that play so he could "stay in the game to get his points." I hate when fans sitting on their couch try to get in a player's head like that and assume they're being selfish and only care about their own personal stats
I would guess more people see it @mauconnfan 's way than yours. I've noticed it too. Once Sanogo gets his 1st foul in the first half or 3rd in the second, he appears to contest shots on defense with less effort in instances that we've seen him makes plays out after the game on defense now strongly in the past.

Based on what we've seen, it looks like he's playing not to get his 2nd or 4th foul. I don't think it's out of being selfish but he clearly wants to stay in the court.

Coaches need to teach him that having DC on the bench is a strength of our team. Which allows AS to play harder in short spurts knowing that he's going to get a quick breather. And he should play the game focused on not making boneheaded fouls away from the basket so that he can save those fouls to contest strongly in the paint without fear because he knows Hurley can sub DC in if Sanogo does get in foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom