Why isn’t Clingan… | The Boneyard

Why isn’t Clingan…

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’ve said for awhile Hurley doesn’t like playing freshman unless he absolutely has to (Karaban). It’d be cool to see Clingan be the case where everyone starts seeing it too and holding him accountable for it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as the founder, chairman, president, ceo and coo, chief cook and bottlewasher of the 'play donno early and often, if not, it will be prima facie evidence for coaching malpractice' fan club (u can look it up), i too fear him not being a fundamental piece of our team this year, a year when we have a real opportunity in the season of el stinko teams.
i do not care one wit for next season when such an opportunity has been placed before us now.

ok, blowhard beagles, now it's ur turn to tell us how the obvious isn't obvious. this should be good......

Reaction Score
It’s once again Hurleys proclivity to ry on his starters and not coach to the game. It’s why unless and until we just have more talent than anyone else, we ain’t winning anything. We have more talent now, that’s why we’ve been winning. In close games, he’s still gonna get exposed for being paralyzed and immature.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I’ve said for awhile Hurley doesn’t like playing freshman unless he absolutely has to (Karaban). It’d be cool to see Clingan be the case where everyone starts seeing it too and holding him accountable for it.
Well I think that time was late in the game.

Reaction Score
Because he's a developing freshman playing behind the Big East Pre-season player of the year. Yeah, Sanogo was not great today, and Clingan could have played a little more today, but I didn't think Clingan was great when he was in today either. We'll work out the appropriate balance by game hopefully by March. It definitely differs from game to game.

Reaction Score
The offense and defense were good with Clingan on the floor little that he was. If you played him 30 minutes he has 18 points and 10 rebounds. He deters their offense from coming inside which by the way is what happened when he wasn’t in.

Reaction Score
What Clingan does - that we needed more today - is clean up those rebounds on defensive glass. Take one shot and if you don’t make it, you;’ve got huskies coming at your downhill. He also is more of a deterrent for guys driving to the hoop.

Dan made some errors today which I am sure he is aware of and not using Clingan more was one of them.

Reaction Score
What Clingan does - that we needed more today - is clean up those rebounds on defensive glass. Take one shot and if you don’t make it, you;’ve got huskies coming at your downhill. He also is more of a deterrent for guys driving to the hoop.

Dan made some errors today which I am sure he is aware of and not using Clingan more was one of them.
Yeah but this was not an isolated incident with Clingan. He’s been getting shorted on minutes all along, more so lately.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah but this was not an isolated incident with Clingan. He’s been getting shorted on minutes all along, more so lately.
Espn has the minutes played. Starters (except Karaban) played between 33-37 minutes. Karaban played 20 minutes. They went at him and got him in foul trouble. Diarra 12 , Joey C. 11 and Alleyne 14.

Clingan 7 minutes.

I don't think they had an answer for him at the rim from what I saw as well as his passing ability and rebounding. This also would have given Sanogo a breather down the stretch.

They outrebounded us 38-31 and we had more turnovers 16-12.

Seems they used the same tactics as Villanova by packing into the paint to deny Sanogo and give us the outside shot. Jackson shot 12 threes. He made 4 (33%). Normally 12 seems like a lot for him but you have to take what they give you or put someone else in for that. On the bright side the more he shoots the more confidence and better he'll get; especially if they give him free ones.

Let's hope they can learn and adjust from this one. More tough games ahead.

Reaction Score
Clingan in my opinion scores much easier than Sonogo. I know Sonogo scores. But in crunch time I wanted to see Clingan. My opinion.
This is insanity, Clingan does not have his own offensive game like Sanogo does. He can throw down an alley oop, he can finish when he gets the ball 2’ from the rim, but he is not a player we feed in the post and he makes his own move and scores, at least as far as we have seen.

I felt that with about 7 min left today Sanogo looked tired and Danny should’ve put in Clingan for a few minutes so Sanogo could come in for the home stretch ready to dominate

Reaction Score
The scout is out on UConn--particularly on how to slow down Sanogo. Clingan disrupts that narrative, and we should be using him at least 15 minutes a game.
I’d love to see the +\- for Clingan today. He did a great job of intimidating and neutralizing both Nunge & Fremantle. His offense looked on point.

Riding Sanogo too long in the 2nd half is the main reason why we lost that game, imho

Edit- I should add that I don’t thing Sanogo played horribly, just that Donovan showed himself to be more effective against what Xavier was bringing today…

Reaction Score
I’d love to see the +\- for Clingan today. He did a great job of intimidating and neutralizing both Nunge & Fremantle. His offense looked on point.

Riding Sanogo too long in the 2nd half is the main reason why we lost that game, imho

Edit- I should add that I don’t thing Sanogo played horribly, just that Donovan showed himself to be more effective against what Xavier was bringing today…

I don't even think Donovan needs 25 minutes a game or anything. 15 would do it. Just enough to mix it up on both ends of the floor. If he had played another 7 minutes from the under 12 until the 4 minute mark, we may have won it.

Reaction Score
This is insanity, Clingan does not have his own offensive game like Sanogo does. He can throw down an alley oop, he can finish when he gets the ball 2’ from the rim, but he is not a player we feed in the post and he makes his own move and scores, at least as far as we have seen.

I felt that with about 7 min left today Sanogo looked tired and Danny should’ve put in Clingan for a few minutes so Sanogo could come in for the home stretch ready to dominate
Alley -oops and 2 ft shots from the rim are about as efficient as you can get in basketball. With hands as good as his you can just lob it up to the rim and it’s a high percentage play. He came out and blocked Freemantle’s shot. He’s a disruptor and not something you can gameplan for. That is why he warrants minutes.

Reaction Score

Clingan was -3 in his 7 minutes

Reaction Score
Sure didn’t seem that way. Numbers are numbers I guess
Nobody was particularly great, Sanogo was -6 so not any better. Diarra at +2 was the only positive player, Karaban was at -10 in 20 minutes and Calcaterra was -15 in 11 minutes. Flipside, Nunge killed us despite having a mediocre game overall, he was +23

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
With this new game plan teams are running out against us, I think you have to switch it up more than Hurley is. Clingan should play 15 minutes a night unless Sanogo is dominating. At least if they're packing it in, you can get the ball to Clingan over the top if you can get the right angle. It gives defenses a different look and makes us harder to defend overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom