Why is everyone freaking out this season? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Why is everyone freaking out this season?

Reaction Score
I don't remember ever seeing so much angst over an undefeated, #1 ranked team that's put on so many dominating performances in my life. I really do not get why some see disaster in every missed shot, impending doom in every turnover, and the team's imminent fall from the pinnacle with every narrow 30 point win. It's confounding.

Did these folks watch the games on tv this past week? How many of those other top 10 teams played a perfect game every single time? That's a rhetorical question because none of them did. The UConn team, and all of the teams, are made up of human beings who have good days and bad, just like you and me and every other person on this earth. If we expect them to be perfect every time, well, that's just unreasonable. Yet, invariably UConn fans will freak out if someone makes a mistake. It's stunning to me that we would expect 18-22 year old kids to be more perfect than we are ourselves.

I just don't get it.

It’s obvious that there are others that feel your pain, and don’t get it either. Anyone who has been involved in the field of working with young adults in sports will tell you that if you have, let’s say a 30 game season, you will play lights out great about 4 games, be flat 4 games, and the rest of the season will be somewhere in between. I would categorize the Texas game as one of those in between, and your team, at the end of a road trip, in a hostile environment, against a top ten team, won the game. Celebrate it, congratulate them & move on to the next contest while improving on the flaws you saw from the bench, or on film. Who has done that better than GA and CD in the modern era of women’s
collegiate basketball?

Boards like this are for opinions, no problem there, but for those who are convinced that they have a better idea of, let’s say, managing the bench minutes of a Division 1 basketball program, while you’re at it maybe give the staff some ideas about attacking a match up zone, or how to defend the screen the screener plays, or your thoughts on hedging ball screens versus switching. For those who are convinced that the current staff is mismanaging minutes, and the substitution pattern, I have only one question for you- who do you wish replace them with? You have your choice of any staff in the country. Your team has won 117 of the last 118 games and 99% of the fan bases in the country are envious of your team. Embrace it and enjoy it while you have it- it won’t last forever. JMHO

Reaction Score
Shocking... I actually feel really relaxed this season. If anything I am annoyed when our players are physically injured and there is no call... but with the ND game and again last night I just knew this team could handle the adversity. I knew come the 4th quarter our players would be fresher and better able to handle the flow of the game (unlike Notre Dame who fell apart in the 4th). I would like to see Collier out of her funk. It would be nice if Megan felt more comfortable in the game and/or was not still dealing with her illness from earlier. Seeing her develop will be nice. But overall, feeling good this season. Even if we do not go undefeated I like our chances come April. ;)

Reaction Score
1. ref bench - not much different than any other year 2. what do you reckon the likelihood is the "the top half fails"? Silly comment. 3. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Not sure where this scoring statistic comes from - "most opponents" ? - but some of this comes from using the bench in garbage time.

never understood why some stat geeks break games down to individual quarters.............I always wait for the loser's press conference where the opposing coach says he/she is proud of their team because they outscored UConn in the fourth quarter...........somehow I never hear a reporter say "but coach you still lost the game by 50 points"!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom