Why is everyone freaking out this season? | The Boneyard

Why is everyone freaking out this season?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't remember ever seeing so much angst over an undefeated, #1 ranked team that's put on so many dominating performances in my life. I really do not get why some see disaster in every missed shot, impending doom in every turnover, and the team's imminent fall from the pinnacle with every narrow 30 point win. It's confounding.

Did these folks watch the games on tv this past week? How many of those other top 10 teams played a perfect game every single time? That's a rhetorical question because none of them did. The UConn team, and all of the teams, are made up of human beings who have good days and bad, just like you and me and every other person on this earth. If we expect them to be perfect every time, well, that's just unreasonable. Yet, invariably UConn fans will freak out if someone makes a mistake. It's stunning to me that we would expect 18-22 year old kids to be more perfect than we are ourselves.

I just don't get it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think alot of us have our nerves on edge after last year's loss. Makes sense that every warning sign is discussed and assurances given. The fact that MSU looks better than last year is also on my mind at least.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think alot of us have our nerves on edge after last year's loss. Makes sense that every warning sign is discussed and assurances given. The fact that MSU looks better than last year is also on my mind at least.

MSU, the UConn of tomorrow? Perish the thought. It is our sacred and exclusive right to be terrific.

But seriously, GA has sometimes made going unbeaten look normal when it is very hard. If we lose, hopefully it won't be during the tournament. But as Nan said, humans aren't perfect and getting a ball to go through a hoop more than the other team is not guaranteed. The amazing thing about Geno's records is how really rare it is for them to suffer a really unexpected loss to a team that doesn't figure to belong on the same floor. We are lucky.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Worrying is a function of age to a degree, and some of us here on the BY are a bit long in the tooth. ;)

Nowadays, I worry about my family, my health, a growing list of domestic and global problems and whether UConn’s recent blowout win masked some underlying problem with the team. :oops:

When I was younger, my biggest worries were whether or not I had a clean pair of underwear and where to go drinking that night. :)

Reaction Score
I don't get it either. Frankly, it wouldn't bother me a bit if the Huskies lost tonight, or next week, if they learn something from it and gets them better prepared for March. That's. Why. Geno. Schedules. Tough. Teams. I could care less who gets however many minutes because I'm not qualified to make that kind of a judgement. And I'm certainly not so presumptuous as to wail about Geno's lineups, substitution patterns or recruiting. Yes it's fun to speculate. I do get that. But the hand wringing, teeth gnashing, we-must-be-perfect-mania is silly.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Rock on, Nan! One of the reasons I am not around here very much any more, is that it makes me sad that grown adults think nothing of tearing down young women and their coaching staffs for not perfectly living up to their arm-chair prognostications. Like you said, they are human, they are also students, they have families and concerns. All we can ask is that they do their best, which 99.4% of the time, they do. In spades.

is it legit to criticize? Yes, don't get me wrong. But some people on this board revel in misery and negativism.

Reaction Score
the team's unprecedented record of success over the past years has made many of us incredibly spoiled......................a really terrific season for most teams is a winning record and a trip to the NCAAs...............Geno & Co have set the bar so high that even one regular season loss is a disaster and not winning an NC unthinkable.......................perhaps a couple of regular season losses per year would be beneficial for the team and the BY...................

Reaction Score
Thank you Nan. I know people like to debate, and I find most dialog interesting and informative. But recently, there's so much nit-picking... It's not as enjoyable to come to the site. How can there be so many negatives when we are undefeated, and winning each game by a large margin??

Have a great week everyone :) Go Huskies :)

Reaction Score
Worrying is a function of age to a degree, and some of us here on the BY are a bit long in the tooth. ;)

Nowadays, I worry about my family, my health, a growing list of domestic and global problems and whether UConn’s recent blowout win masked some underlying problem with the team. :oops:

When I was younger, my biggest worries were whether or not I had a clean pair of underwear and where to go drinking that night. :)
Old or young, is it just sports related human nature to look for something to worry about? Since unlike most fans we essentially don't have to worry about losses we end up digging a little deeper to find something.

Personally, after the second game of the season I figured this team had about a 90% chance of winning it all and I've been on cruise control ever since.

Reaction Score
I think it's because it doesn't look as good as it did the last couple of years with the big three. It may never look that good ever again, so people need time to get used to that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nan - you got it right!!!!!!

We seem to have a "new" crop of posters who do not understand UConn basketball and its history. The angst over who plays and who doesn't, why aren't the frosh getting more minutes, questioning Geno's coaching techniques and a lot of other stupid stuff. I sometimes wonder if these negative posters have ever worked with children and young adults. I suspect the answer is no. And that it was irks me the most!

BTW - I'm with oldude, except I don't worry about some underlying problem with the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really do not understand the angst some have with "angst". I assume we want all our girls to experience the maximum of growth and reach the pinnacle of their sport (NC) so if we rightly or wrongly see potholes and barriers to these goals ,I do not think it is wrong to show concern. I believe I am always very appreciative of their efforts and the wonderful program that has been built and we are definitely spoiled but if Geno can feel angst at times, so can I. :confused:

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really do not understand the angst some have with "angst". I assume we want all our girls to experience the maximum of growth and reach the pinnacle of their sport (NC) so if we rightly or wrongly see potholes and barriers to these goals ,I do not think it is wrong to show concern. I believe I am always very appreciative of their efforts and the wonderful program that we built and we are definitely spoiled but if Geno can feel angst at times, so can I. :confused:
I tend to agree. Also, however, there is a big difference between pointing our "less than" performances by players compared to some of the angst that Nancy is alluding to.

For example, while everyone would generally agree that Crystal has taken a HUGE step forward and is a much better player in every aspect than last year, it's also fair to point out that Collier seems to have taken a step backwards and is not the same player she was last year. While Lou has made strides again this year, and Nurse is even better than last year, Gabby seems to struggle with picking up fouls which has limited her effectiveness on the floor.

Then there are the freshmen - Walker seems to have hit the wall, Coombs is struggling for consistency, Gordon is having typical freshman issues, and Espinosa-Hunter is gone - I would assume for academic issues since she has enrolled at a community college.

My point, in general, is that even Geno has been critical of the team at times this year. Most recently, he was not happy at all with the effort from all the starters in the first half vs. UCF - and that was less than a week ago. So I totally agree - don't get the angst, but I do get the criticism of poor play - heck, if Geno can lament it, then so can we! ;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There's both a social and health difference between constructive criticism and fretful negativism. I used to fret about some of the negative posts and posters, but now I rather constructively point out that they reveal people with greater statistical risk for hypertension, headaches, fibromyalgia, arthritis and other afflictions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't remember ever seeing so much angst over an undefeated, #1 ranked team that's put on so many dominating performances in my life. I really do not get why some see disaster in every missed shot, impending doom in every turnover, and the team's imminent fall from the pinnacle with every narrow 30 point win. It's confounding.

Did these folks watch the games on tv this past week? How many of those other top 10 teams played a perfect game every single time? That's a rhetorical question because none of them did. The UConn team, and all of the teams, are made up of human beings who have good days and bad, just like you and me and every other person on this earth. If we expect them to be perfect every time, well, that's just unreasonable. Yet, invariably UConn fans will freak out if someone makes a mistake. It's stunning to me that we would expect 18-22 year old kids to be more perfect than we are ourselves.

I just don't get it.

My working hypothesis: the oxymoron: social media. It is impersonal, anonymous and increasingly snarky. We are a stressed out and polarized society in which we react before we think as often as not.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Rock on, Nan! One of the reasons I am not around here very much any more, is that it makes me sad that grown adults think nothing of tearing down young women and their coaching staffs for not perfectly living up to their arm-chair prognostications.

Oh, on the Men's board we tear down young men with equal equanimity.

Reaction Score
Old or young, is it just sports related human nature to look for something to worry about? Since unlike most fans we essentially don't have to worry about losses we end up digging a little deeper to find something.

Personally, after the second game of the season I figured this team had about a 90% chance of winning it all and I've been on cruise control ever since.

Although I have not lived in CT for nine years remember a couple things regarding sports. When I left there were not pro teams in the state, so just like Alabama the college scene becomes the focus of many more sports fans. Secondly it was a war zone between Yankee and RedSox fans since it sits between the two teams/states.

That said, UConn fans are passionate and seem to be in the same mold as many SEC College fans that just love their respective teams and spend a lot of time thinking about them. A casual fan doesn't get into the level of thought and diagnoses as a passionate fan. So sometimes folks may come off as a little critical but I take it that they are just sharing more of their thoughts that run through their brain on a subject they think about more, in this case UConn Women's BB, and want to hear feedback from others because its interesting to them more than the casual fan. Heck, the only reason I even pay for ESPN is so I can watch most of the UConn games.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think it's because it doesn't look as good as it did the last couple of years with the big three. It may never look that good ever again, so people need time to get used to that.
I beg to differ on that. Go back and look at the game scores and the comments. This is almost Exactly like it was with the big 3's Soph, Jr and Senior year.
Honestly, the only "hiccup" was the first 3Q's of the ND game. Other than that, we parse every motivating quote Geno puts out as "our concerns" as well. Think of the Stanford game "hiccup" that Stewie and group had and how did they respond? How is that any different than this?
Personally, I think this team is better-deeper, more talent across and more tested against more ranked teams.
Eebmg hit the nail on the head-we are a bit spooked from last year with how much we dominated in an unexpected fashion and then lost. We are cautious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom