Why is everyone freaking out this season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why is everyone freaking out this season?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
OK, I'll bite. What was the mechanism? A medieval wrack?
You're close. ;)

Are you referring to the chipper?

woodchip.gif

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I went to the game last night and I can't believe what I'm reading here this morning. Tons of threads with titles like, "UConn's Achilles Heel," "Why didn't UConn have a bench tonight?", "We've got some work to do", "So far... this looks a lot like last year (trouble)", etc. Not that each of those topics doesn't merit some discussion - this is not an attack on the OPs. But the reaction to last night's game just seems to be generally negative.

What I saw last night was a great college sports environment with a huge home court advantage for Texas, two great teams with great players who made great plays, a game that went down to the wire with the visiting #1 team making the plays necessary to win the game. Fantastic effort by Texas, but it wasn't quite enough. UConn prevailed, we are still undefeated and will undoubtedly still be ranked #1. I guess I would have enjoyed a blowout win, but that's not why I came. Put it this way - I ain't flying back to Texas for the SMU game. This was a great game and a great win - just don't know what all the worry and complaining is about. ??
You make fair points BUT, the expectations were so high this year. People (from Stewie to Rebecca to Kara to other hoops experts)were quoted (numerous times in different ways) that "you better get UCONN this year (2016-2017) because next year they will be unbeatable".

Fans as well bought into the hype. Heck, we were a hair-width away from making the NC game without Azura, and any of the improvements from the players. Fast forward to this year - we got down big to both ND and Texas. I don't know if any reasonable fan expected that we'd "struggle" they way we apparently have this season. I expect us to handle SC, but L'ville looks like it will be a huge test for us. I honestly never thought we'd struggle the way we did to beat ND and Texas.

And I totally agree - it was a tremendous environment. But the team is simply not living up to the expectations most of us had for them this year. Perhaps it's due to the steps back Gabby and Napheesa seem to have taken. Perhaps our expectations were just too high. But this really was a season UCONN fans expected the team to roll thru the entire schedule. Perhaps Geno did not, but most fans did. Now we are seeing that the reality is different from what was expected, and the reactions are a result of that... :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
But the team is simply not living up to the expectations most of us had for them this year. Perhaps it's due to the steps back Gabby and Napheesa seem to have taken. Perhaps our expectations were just too high. But this really was a season UCONN fans expected the team to roll thru the entire schedule. Perhaps Geno did not, but most fans did. Now we are seeing that the reality is different from what was expected, and the reactions are a result of that... :)

"Perhaps"

Reaction Score
You make fair points BUT, the expectations were so high this year. People (from Stewie to Rebecca to Kara to other hoops experts)were quoted (numerous times in different ways) that "you better get UCONN this year (2016-2017) because next year they will be unbeatable".

Fans as well bought into the hype. Heck, we were a hair-width away from making the NC game without Azura, and any of the improvements from the players. Fast forward to this year - we got down big to both ND and Texas. I don't know if any reasonable fan expected that we'd "struggle" they way we apparently have this season. I expect us to handle SC, but L'ville looks like it will be a huge test for us. I honestly never thought we'd struggle the way we did to beat ND and Texas.

And I totally agree - it was a tremendous environment. But the team is simply not living up to the expectations most of us had for them this year. Perhaps it's due to the steps back Gabby and Napheesa seem to have taken. Perhaps our expectations were just too high. But this really was a season UCONN fans expected the team to roll thru the entire schedule. Perhaps Geno did not, but most fans did. Now we are seeing that the reality is different from what was expected, and the reactions are a result of that... :)
'Expectation is premeditated resentment. ' It is so true. I bought the hype, couldn't wait to see it happen and now I'm a little disappointed.

Reaction Score
'Expectation is premeditated resentment. ' It is so true. I bought the hype, couldn't wait to see it happen and now I'm a little disappointed.
Same here, although I did say after the big three left that we'd never see that kind of dominance again.

Reaction Score
My expectation was that at this point in the season we'd be 16-0 and ranked #1. That's at least a fairly high expectation. In fact unrealistically high for everyone but us. And guess what - we're 16-0 and ranked #1. So we struggled against a couple top 10 teams - that's not allowed? (We did actually win both those games.) (And all our other games.) Hand wringing and complaining when we "struggled" against ECU and won by only 36?

I dunno. Texas played great last night - I was happy with the win.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My expectation was that at this point in the season we'd be 16-0 and ranked #1. That's at least a fairly high expectation. In fact unrealistically high for everyone but us. And guess what - we're 16-0 and ranked #1. So we struggled against a couple top 10 teams - that's not allowed? (We did actually win both those games.) (And all our other games.) Hand wringing and complaining when we "struggled" against ECU and won by only 36?

I dunno. Texas played great last night - I was happy with the win.
Hear hear. I also think that much of the angst is because Texas hasn't played particularly well all year. Their performance against Tennessee was so dismal, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. And most of their other play has been lackluster and disjointed.

Let's imagine that Texas had beaten Tennessee and TCU (as most expected they would) and entered last night's game undefeated. The expectations would have leaned more toward a close and hard-fought encounter, much like what we got. And while there would've surely been plenty of teeth-gnashing to go around, perhaps it would have had less of a bitter edge.

Expectations. They're a funny, and dangerous, thing.

Reaction Score
My working hypothesis: the oxymoron: social media. It is impersonal, anonymous and increasingly snarky. We are a stressed out and polarized society in which we react before we think as often as not.
Astute hypothesis, Rocky (as usual). The “ready, fire, aim” mentality triumphs over rational consideration. What are the consequences of blurting out whatever bubbles to the surface? Just deny you said it or point out something said that was worse.

Reaction Score
What bothers me most that half the team (now that AEH has departed) sits on the bench midway thru the season. What is the plan B if the top half fails? I did not enjoy at all when UConn trailed most opponents in 4th quarter scoring.

1. ref bench - not much different than any other year 2. what do you reckon the likelihood is the "the top half fails"? Silly comment. 3. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Not sure where this scoring statistic comes from - "most opponents" ? - but some of this comes from using the bench in garbage time.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Expectations are an odd thing...last year this team exceeded expectations and could do very little wrong...this year, expectations are so high that the slightest bit of un-UCONN type play raises questions....no worries on my end...

I'm of the same opinion. Last year the Huskies had graduated the first three picks in the WNBA draft, so there were no expectations. All those consecutive victories, the team was going above and beyond. Remember how before this season, there was speculation that the BENCH would be a top-20 team? Many fans have had unrealistic expectations, so anything that's not perfect is now a disappointment.

They're playing good basketball, they're winning, enjoy it. Texas has been jekyll-and-hyde, and jekyll Texas showed up to play last night. Good for them, good for us pulling out a tough victory.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Uconn second five would beat USF ,UCF this year or Tulane last year.I think they will have trouble with Baylor ,Texas, and some other big Teams . They Beat a Good and almost healthy ND team early on but many of the top teams they defeated have come down in the ratings since the beginning of the season.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Worrying is a function of age to a degree, and some of us here on the BY are a bit long in the tooth. ;)

Nowadays, I worry about my family, my health, a growing list of domestic and global problems and whether UConn’s recent blowout win masked some underlying problem with the team. :oops:

When I was younger, my biggest worries were whether or not I had a clean pair of underwear and where to go drinking that night. :)

Never worry about something over which you have no control.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm of the same opinion. Last year the Huskies had graduated the first three picks in the WNBA draft, so there were no expectations. All those consecutive victories, the team was going above and beyond. Remember how before this season, there was speculation that the BENCH would be a top-20 team? Many fans have had unrealistic expectations, so anything that's not perfect is now a disappointment.

They're playing good basketball, they're winning, enjoy it. Texas has been jekyll-and-hyde, and jekyll Texas showed up to play last night. Good for them, good for us pulling out a tough victory.

Very true. I saw Texas vs LSU in Las Vegas (The South Pointe Shootout) earlier this season. The Longhorns played very uninspired that afternoon, with nowhere near the level of intensity and focus they played with Monday. As you suggest, they played down to the level of their competition that day.

Reaction Score
There's both a social and health difference between constructive criticism and fretful negativism. I used to fret about some of the negative posts and posters, but now I rather constructively point out that they reveal people with greater statistical risk for hypertension, headaches, fibromyalgia, arthritis and other afflictions.

Reaction Score
I think that a few posters made the point that again is so crucial and ingrained in this amazing program.
They are just in many cases repeating the behavior and expectations of the coaching staff. It's no longer about just winning or even winning big, it's about striving for perfection.
I think this is mostly a good thing, except all need to "savor" those special moments for at least a little while, before they move on to the next goal and needed improvement.
From my eyes this win demonstrated some true grit on the teams part, and some excellent play especially from Z, CD and KLS. It also showed some of the teams weaknesses and areas that need improvement and shoring up.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom