Why don't UCONN fans travel to RU? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why don't UCONN fans travel to RU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not buying a ticket and helping fuel the Rutgerocopter.

Reaction Score
UConn travelled very well to S. Bend for the ND victory. Also, this year to MD for the win there. Those are nice places to go to. Piscataway??? Not really....

Reaction Score
Both statements are untrue, look at my post correcting my fellow RU friend on that. We brought 10-11k for Insight. We brought 30k to NYC. Iowa St brought 8k.
Ah, well good to see some of you have some sense. I don't know how many were actually there at Yankee Stadium, I'm only going off the ticket sales reported by the RU ticket office that ESPN wrote about. This was the sole measuring stick used by the RU poster who originally brought up bowl ticket sales so I deemed it a good common denominator for my comparison.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
I'm catching your drift with building up the rivalry. I think the potential is there and will continue to develop. Definitly don't agree with you on the whole noon game is easist. Not exactly a hop skip and a throw away when stinking NYC is in the middle of the two schools. For a solid tailgate you'd probably have to leave around 5 from hartford.

I've been there in 06 and 10. Really wanted to go to this game as a close friend of mine's brother is a starter on the squad and it will likely be my last chance to see him get beat before he leaves for the next level. Just not going to work out this time unfortunately.

Which starter? DT Vallone, LB Greene, LB Beauharnais, CB Cooper, CB Ryan, CB Jones, FS Harmon, WR Wright, WR Harrison, RT Dill, TE Jefferson (all of them should be in the NFL barring injury in 2013)?

Reaction Score
I think a better question to ask is why didn't RU travel well to Uconn for last year's game? I was there but if there were Rutgers fans in attendance they must have been pretty quiet. I didn't hear them cheer at all.

Reaction Score
Interesting that no one can answer the question.

Actually, some people have tried. There is some apathy. Most of us will pick one away game to travel to every year. We've shown that, while we're not a consistently good traveling fanbase, there is a solid group of hardcores that will travel to that "marquee" away game on a regular basis. Army in 2005, ND in 2009, Michigan in 2010, Maryland this year. We had good numbers at USF in 2006. With respect to RU, I see two reasons why we haven't shown there in large numbers. The first has been the lousy timing of games at RU. The second has been that RU has never been the marquee away game on the schedule. When they have been, it's been at an odd time (like a Sunday night, or on Thanksgiving Day).

Reaction Score
Which starter? DT Vallone, LB Greene, LB Beauharnais, CB Cooper, CB Ryan, CB Jones, FS Harmon, WR Wright, WR Harrison, RT Dill, TE Jefferson (all of them should be in the NFL barring injury in 2013)?

i purposely left his name out as I would prefer not to mention it here and give away my super secret internet identity, but he is one of the CBs you listed.

Reaction Score
I've been to away games at Army, USF, Notre Dame, and Michigan. And I've been to every single bowl game. I haven't yet been to a Rutgers game because of the timing. Most of the games have been on weeknights (or Sunday night), and this year I had a prior commitment. I have a family, and unfortunately people up here still plan birthday parties, weddings, etc, without regard for UConn's home schedule. It's difficult enough making all of the home games (missed one this year).

I will make it to Piscataway for a game eventually, but not this year.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
i purposely left his name out as I would prefer not to mention it here and give away my super secret internet identity, but he is one of the CBs you listed.

hmm...
confused0006.r191677.gif

then... it MUST be CB Marcus Cooper since he is the ONLY other current RU player from CT... We only have 2 players from CT on roster (both starters and both seniors and both NFL bound in 2013 interestingly enough)... CB Marcus Cooper and WR Mark Harrison...

Reaction Score
Relax. There will be a bigger Husky presence than you think. I'm coming with lots of folks and we haven't bought our tickets yet. There will be lots of blue among the red...oops..black in the stands. I love our rivalry. I even like your governor. Lets's enjoy a great game in a great atmosphere. That's what college football is all about. Now, just keep the rain away, please.

Reaction Score
Relax. There will be a bigger Husky presence than you think. I'm coming with lots of folks and we haven't bought our tickets yet. There will be lots of blue among the red...oops..black in the stands. I love our rivalry. I even like your governor. Lets's enjoy a great game in a great atmosphere. That's what college football is all about. Now, just keep the rain away, please.
But if it rains, the inevitable 239234689 runs up the middle will seem to make sense!

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
umm... no more seats in the visitor section are available... UConn returned part of their 3K seating allotment... that portion was then given to students since there wasn't enough time to properly sell those seats off (they gave back the seats this week and student ticket demand is currently very high with over 11K students expected)... so unless you are ok with sitting in an RU section then you are out of luck with tickets... It was already tweeted today that less then 1K tickets remain out of the 52.5K total tickets... that should be gone within the next day...

Reaction Score
It is a legitimate question. We just have not ... and many here won't admit it ... reached the full maturation as a fanbase. We can still grow this Program. (however, it seems the AD & our 2nd year HC seemingly miss many opportunities)

Pudge - not trying to be adversarial but help me understand lumping our current AD (who's been on the job 6 months) in w/ HCPP in regards to your statement regarding "missed opportunties"? (Outside of the "he should fire HCPP argument").

Reaction Score
I never see a good amount of you guys at RU. Why? It is so close for you guys and I know we always bring good numbers up to the Rent.
We have a family get together to attend, I also do know that Leandro Bonilla from Jewett City has plans that day so he won't make it either. I can't account for anyone else. Maybe the others in this board can give you their reasons.

Reaction Score
We have a family get together to attend, I also do know that Leandro Bonilla from Jewett City has plans that day so he won't make it either. I can't account for anyone else. Maybe the others in this board can give you their reasons.
I can't find New Jersey on the map.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's tough to me get up for a rivalry against Rutgers, because they are, well to be indelicate,
.... Rutgers. I do enjoy messing up their occasional runs at a successful season. Hopefully, this weekend be another of those. I don’t know, maybe if they had a basketball team, a rivalry might develop. I do, sort of like their fan base. They are entertaining in a nonthreatening kind of way.

Reaction Score
To try to answer the question seriously - UConn fans travelled in droves in the 90's for both Men's and Women's B-ball. MSG, Meadowlands Arena, The RAC, Conte Forum, the arenas in Philly and DC and obviously the Final 4 games would be packed with UConn supporters. For some reason (perhaps winning fatigue? - yes, it's pathetic) UConn's traveling horde started dwindling in the 00's and it was in the 00's that UConn football jumped to FBS. Also many of the B-ball fans (especially women's B-ball) have not really jumped on the football bandwagon.

Furthermore, while we've had decent success in football, we've had pretty uninspiring coaches and an unattractive offense for the past decade. Add to that a former AD that was absolutely clueless when it came to marketing.

The consensus on these boards has been that UConn needs a "dream season" - similar to what UConn basketball did in 1990 (or I guess the 2006 Rutgers season) to get this fan base jumping.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To try to answer the question seriously - UConn fans travelled in droves in the 90's for both Men's and Women's B-ball. MSG, Meadowlands Arena, The RAC, Conte Forum, the arenas in Philly and DC and obviously the Final 4 games would be packed with UConn supporters. For some reason (perhaps winning fatigue? - yes, it's pathetic) UConn's traveling horde started dwindling in the 00's and it was in the 00's that UConn football jumped to FBS. Also many of the B-ball fans (especially women's B-ball) have not really jumped on the football bandwagon.

Furthermore, while we've had decent success in football, we've had pretty uninspiring coaches and an unattractive offense for the past decade. Add to that a former AD that was absolutely clueless when it came to marketing.

The consensus on these boards has been that UConn needs a "dream season" - similar to what UConn basketball did in 1990 (or I guess the 2006 Rutgers season) to get this fan base jumping.

If finishing third in the conference but feeling as if we've immediately become a national power due to one win against a top five (at the time of the game, not end of season) opponent happens here I will be pissed beyond description at our fan base. We should have high enough standards not to celebrate until something worth celebrating occurs.

Reaction Score
I never see a good amount of you guys at RU. Why? It is so close for you guys and I know we always bring good numbers up to the Rent.

I have made trips to most of the bowls (not fiesta), and Ann Arbor. Not much of a method of it, other than I have traveled for the "event" games, as long as I have not explicitly had a conflict (as in the Fiesta bowl). Long and short is this - I travel almost every home game as I am coming from Boston. And I have a marriage and familly that I value, such that I only have so many chips to play.

Reaction Score
Interesting that no one can answer the question. Is it just apathy? I think it is a real shame. I understand weekyday games are difficult, but Saturday games?

No apathy for me. I love hating Rutgers. They are a good sports rivalry that I value. The tri-state rivalry extends beyond sports, hatable fans (I know this goes both ways), etc.

Reaction Score
I've been to away games at Army, USF, Notre Dame, and Michigan. And I've been to every single bowl game. I haven't yet been to a Rutgers game because of the timing. Most of the games have been on weeknights (or Sunday night), and this year I had a prior commitment. I have a family, and unfortunately people up here still plan birthday parties, weddings, etc, without regard for UConn's home schedule. It's difficult enough making all of the home games (missed one this year).

I will make it to Piscataway for a game eventually, but not this year.

This is basically it for me. But I'm going Saturday. And pissed off my son's baseball coach cause I'm bringing him with me. Problem is it burns the entire day.

Reaction Score
I want great things for UCONN because I think we have a nice rivalry going and if one of us left for greener pastures I'd like it to be a package deal. I think we need to play for a rivalry trophy. Battle of I-95. However, you guys just need to continue to step it up with attending a game at RU. Honestly Saturday is perfect for you guys because it is at noon. You leave stadium at 4 and get home by 7-8 and can still watch the big games at night, eat dinner with family, go to bed early, etc.

Ruskoolie- listen, we all want this rivalry to continue to grow but it will take time. The real reason many on this board can't make it is because we went to the Maryland game which as you know was a big one for us. Many can't travel to more than one road game whether it's a financial issue or in my case, family commitments w/ the kids. I think Cuse and Pitt leaving the conference will only help this rivalry grow, but we can help ourselves by improving our performances on the field. I think the first Uconn/Rutgers game where we are both ranked could be epic! Good luck to you guys this season, I hope you only Finnish with one loss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom