Why don't UCONN fans travel to RU? | The Boneyard

Why don't UCONN fans travel to RU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never see a good amount of you guys at RU. Why? It is so close for you guys and I know we always bring good numbers up to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, but I only make the effort to go to 1 away game per year.
2004 - BC
2006 - Cuse
2008 - RU
2010 - Michigan
2012 - Maryland

I make the decision based on a combination of game interest, convenience, and whether or not I've been to a game there before.

I probably will hit up another RU game in the future when there is no other intriguing away games on the schedule... but it won't be this year.

Reaction Score
Timing just hasn't worked for me in the past. We're going this year.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
They don't show up to bowl games either... only like 5K showed up to the Fiesta bowl... For comparison we had over 25K show up to the insight bowl in Arizona (similar distance to the Fiesta bowl from the northeast)...

Reaction Score
I must say, it is a fair question. I made the trip in '06 and '04 and there weren't 1000 UConn fans either time. Given what a great job people did getting to Maryland just a few weeks ago, it will be interesting to see if that means we are going to travel better generally or just that this fanbase wanted revenge on Edsall that much.

Wish that I could go, but am not able to.

Reaction Score
They don't show up to bowl games either... only like 5K showed up to the Fiesta bowl... For comparison we had over 25K show up to the insight bowl in Arizona (similar distance to the Fiesta bowl from the northeast)...

That's completely wrong. UCONN had a lot more than that. We had 10-11k for the Insight Bowl. I was there.

Reaction Score
I do a yearly surf casting trip to Montauk with my father. This was the only weekend available, which sucks because (1) I would have otherwise gone to Piscataway, and (2) the entire world will be standing shoulder to shoulder with us this weekend, it being a holiday weekend. Hoping that the iffy weather will keep some people away.

Kudos to the board for not engaging this blitz8 guy, at least in this thread.

Reaction Score
That's completely wrong. UCONN had a lot more than that. We had 10-11k for the Insight Bowl. I was there.

Common Rutgers fan Hyperbole, you should be used to this. Making mountains out of mole hill accomplishments has become an art in New Brunswick

Can not achieve excellence on athletic field = resort to attendance and TV rating wars

Reaction Score
Hmmmm, whay would someone not want to travel to jersey .....

industrial-wasteland-new-jersey.jpg

Reaction Score
I never see a good amount of you guys at RU. Why? It is so close for you guys and I know we always bring good numbers up to the Rent.

The answer primarily concerns what, geographically, lies in between UConn and Rutgers.

It also doesn't help that, while every Rutgers trip to UConn has occurred on a Saturday, this is only the second time (the other being 2008) that the game in Piscataway was on a Saturday.

Reaction Score

Maybe the UConn fans (beyond the 5k on record) were smart enough to purchase tickets from outlets other than the school at significant discounts to face. As you recall the BCS championship game was in AZ that year and if you bought tix for that game you were forced to buy tix in a package including Insight and Fiesta Bowls. Lots of tickets were available at deep deep discounts. I guess we were intelligent enough to figure that out.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm afraid to drop anything walking around in nj

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I call BS on the 5k number and I call absolute BS on your 25k claim. I would love to see you prove any number within 1/3 of that.

I've only been there twice for our matchups but each time the UConn visitors section was filled with UConn fans. Considering the difficulty to get there, the unispiring opponent and the lack of legitimate tailgaiting lots our turnouts were quite good.

Reaction Score
My post in the "Rutgers Hate Week" thread applies very well to this new thread.

---------------------------
Rutgers fans-

'derp hey guys lol lets all get together on our awesome message board and talk about how rutgers is going to be the best in te next year. Its okay if we dont win the big east or never have because tats not rly wat college football is about its actually about gettin te recruits with lots of stars and the most number of cool guys to talk to online. LOLZ we have soo many internet fans its gr8. remember tat time when we stormed that field 7 years ago tat was so kewl everyone remembers us for that. were so relevant and the Big Ten is going to call us soon because were an AAU school and bcuz of all our internet fans hahaha were gonna be out dis stupid conference'

Repeat every college football year, except add a year to account for how long ago their magical season was.
---------------------------

Their focus on fan support is absurd. Basically, Rutgers fans like to circlejerk about how they can almost fill their 50,000 seat stadium once in a while. I guess it's all they can hang their hat on, so you can't really blame them.

Trust me, I'm also a Notre Dame fan (student) and football results are far more important than how many fans you can get to come to a game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If your athletic department was as deep in the red as the 'University of New Jersey', you'd be begging for paying fans too.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, but I only make the effort to go to 1 away game per year.
2004 - BC
2006 - Cuse
2008 - RU
2010 - Michigan
2012 - Maryland

I make the decision based on a combination of game interest, convenience, and whether or not I've been to a game there before.

I probably will hit up another RU game in the future when there is no other intriguing away games on the schedule... but it won't be this year.

For me, pretty much this. I have enough trouble getting to our home games, with a full family schedule.

Reaction Score
Interesting that no one can answer the question. Is it just apathy? I think it is a real shame. I understand weekyday games are difficult, but Saturday games?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The 2006 game was on a Sunday night, I was at that game and there were maybe 500 UConn fans. If that. I was a "maybe" for this game, but I am holding out in the hope that we go bowling as I am only going to get one shot at an away game trip this year because of my little UConn fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom