Why do you like UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why do you like UConn?

Reaction Score
Got time for a story? Connecticut born and raised, New Britain and Wolcott. Went off to college upstate NY (RPI '76) but ended up in NYC for work '76-'86. Got hooked on Big Monday WPIX channel 11 on a little B+W TV with rabbit ears watching Corny Thompson. Met my bride and moved back to CT in '86.

Designed a couple of Hartford hot spots (The Brickyard, Black-Eyed Sally's) got a call from the partners putting together a sports bar on Allyn Street trying to get JC involved . It worked. Investor shares were $25,000. Each partner was in for one share, JC was in for two plus a % of the gross. Meetings with JC were fun, less about design and more about getting investors. The sales pitch was that it would be a great place to bring recruits and close the deal.

Coach's got built and had a great run. Donyell stepped on the fresh poly on the floor a couple days before opening. Never forget my mom and JC having a laughing encounter at the grand opening.

Got a call from Corny and I was the guy to design his new restaurant/jazz club at the Linden on Main Street Hartford. Corny was a super nice guy. He had a huge entourage most of whom were on the payroll. Hired a grandma for head chef who cooked out of her kitchen. Brought some NYC homies to do decor and faux finish at great expense. Place was doomed from the start.

UConn fan since 1980, bleed blue via transfusion.

Reaction Score
I still have my University of Connecticut rear windshield decal, through my time in Boston, Vegas, and now here in San Diego. I have a ton of UConn pride, way more than most of my friends in hindsight. It’s been awful to see where the AD is now.

But I was at UConn 08-12, I’d argue one of the better windows of UConn athletics: peak Edsall football and Fiesta Bowl bid; the last truly UConn-great basketball squad in 09; one of the most incredible postseason runs in the history of sport; and of course watched the women dominate. I was on campus to live and celebrate all that. And nothing can take that away. The kind of spirit that gets ingrained in you through that doesn’t just go away.
I was there 2010-2014. Bookend championships was pretty awesome. Football fell off a cliff though after my freshman year

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love UConn because of what we've accomplished, especially considering where we started

I love the national championships, watching kids grow, alumni being successful, the great exposure it has given our state, one of the best programs in the BEAST after spotting everyone else a decade, amazing record in the BET and the dance

and the fact almost the entire country wishes to have what we have, and I wouldn't trade places with any of them

the bad years make you appreciate the WINNING even more

Reaction Score
Serious question. I've found that since I've joined the BY I've become a much more jaded fan of UConn MBB. The attitude of a lot of folks around here seems better suited for a team like Duke or UK. I recognize that as fans of a program of course it's fair to be critical, but it seems like most people here just hate UConn. With what this program has gone through in the past 5 years, of course it's going to be a slow road to recovery.

What happened to just enjoying a team, and school pride? I don't feel like I can simply watch uconn hoops and enjoy it anymore. If I defend enjoying UConn, which has given me lifelong pride of being a Husky, I'm an apologist. Maybe it would benefit all of us to take a step back and enjoy what we have.

I really don't know why I'm posting this or what I hope to get out of this. But why do you all like UConn over a team like Duke, UNC, or UK? The toxicity around here makes me think some of us belong in one of those fan bases.

I follow UConn because I really like Fraud00 posts. Nah. I grew up in CT and one of the best memories in my life was; its late, it's fate, its Tate. Hooked.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Lifelong CT resident. Didn't attend UConn. (BEI, nights, but ended up dropping out.) Played BBall though my teens. Just fell in following the Huskies -- probably because Tommy Penders, who I played pickup ball against on occasion, went there. Didn't hurt that he eventually went on to start his HS coaching career at my alma mater.
But my first Husky hero was his teammate, Toby Kimball.
Endured the lean times under Rowe and enjoyed the great times under JC.
Been a UConn fan for more than 50 years. I think I'm in it for the long haul.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Fan since early teens, than 83 alumnus. Bought season tickets days after JC hired, because we knew. I will still be a fan after we're relegated to a10, but if we roll a fresh turd out there each game, I'm calling it a turd.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Connecticut had no professional teams after the Whalers left.

UConn men's basketball was the highest level sport that was played within Connecticut's borders.

I've been a fan since being a fan was a thing for me... I can remember going to games in the field house with my older brothers in 1987, as a 14 year old. I was at the Civic Center for two of the games of the NIT run in 1988.

UConn held a special place, the only truly genuine home team for a Connecticut resident.

It feels like someone is trying to take it away from me now.

I'll never root for any team, pro or otherwise, in any sport, other than UConn. I can't identify with New York or Boston teams. I just don't care about them. Nor do those franchises give a crap about anyone in Connecticut.

I went to UConn. My brother went to UConn. I met my wife while at UConn. Her whole family went to UConn. I worked for UConn in the athletic department. I've been a Mansfield resident for 25 years.

I've watched the whole magical parade of stars from Cliffy to Shabazz from just a few dozen feet away. I played darts with Donny, ate pizza with Kirk, and rode in the back of Jakes pickup.

It's been such a big part of my life that it's hard to imagine it fading away.

I guess I've been lucky, and I should appreciate what a ride it's been.

I don't know. Such a confusing time to be a long time fan.

Reaction Score
Started listening to George Erlich. My Dad took me to first game at the Fieldhouse with Wes hitting for forty plus points against New Hampshire his senior year. Only college choice was UCONN. Always hoped we could be on the bigtime map with the rest of the State U's in the country. It started with Corny and Mike Mckay and was elated the day JC was hired. Always followed football as well, from Vin Cements to Eric Torkelson to the present day. Games at Memorial and watching on Tom Jacksons freebe hill. Driving to New Haven hoping we would finally be able to beat Yale. With Edsall back and a real offensive coordinator we are back on the right track for football. Hoops is a concern as there seems to be a lack of a plan and we are at at physical disadvantage against teams in our league year after year, Cinci, SMU it is man vs boy strength wise. You go to UCONN games and it is great to be with the other fans trying to give the home court/field advantage to the team. We have hit hard times but I have to hope that good times will return and I am not walking away. They are my team.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I started as a fan rooting for the hometown underdog, during the days of Earl Kelley and co. I watched commercials with folks like Gerry Besselink on tv, singing, "You can't sit down!"

In 1988, the "little engine that could" went out there and actually won the NIT tourney! Awesome!

In 1990, I didn't turn off the tv, even though my annoying Cuse-loving brother was ragging on me for losing to Clemson in the NCAA tourney with 1 second left. But I didn't turn off the tv. Burrell threw the ball to Tate without a chance in the world....but I didn't turn off the tv!!!

In 1993, I was fortunate enough to get into UConn. I learned my trade there. I met my wife there. I had some of the best times in my life there.

In 1999, Khalid and company shocked the world! They would go on to shock the world another 3 times, to the point where nobody was shocked any longer. UConn and Greatness meant the same thing, and they still do.

UConn is a part of me. It's been a part of me since I was a kid, and as long as I can remember watching sports. It will always be a part of me. And Husky Nation is my family, even with the "weird cousins" included and all... ;)

Pride. Heart. UConn.

Reaction Score
I was a freshman in 1987. Hardly paid attention early. Was learning about classes, girls, beer etc. As the year wore on started to go to some games with friends. Got into it. Remember that NIT win vs Ohio State fondly. Was in the Jungle, Tolland Hall. Remember all going out to the quad to celebrate. Got out of hand, but fun. Started going to games as a student more often, the lottery. Then a letdown year then it got good. The 1990 season had promise. No one liked us. We played great D. Watched the BE championship at Teds, beat really good Cuse and Gtown teams I think. Was amazed when we beat Mutumbo and Mourning (that was same year right?). Then watched "The Shot" for the win at Clemson and the horrible last second loss to Duke at a friends apartment at Woodhaven ( I think it was called). Drove past a huge banner on the way back to campus hung over the next day stating that "Laettner Must Die". I was hooked. I have watched either in person or on TV every single game since that year other than games I couldn't because of work. Once streaming became an option I have streamed the games. I'll never give up now, whether they break my heart or make it proud. I can't go to games much due to my job (on call after hours a lot, have to be able to answer my phone) plus I live north of Danbury so a big drive to get there for weeknight games and the job thingy, but I still watch every single one. Go Huskies!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thanks for the thread. I really appreciate the variety of perspectives & histories, especially from posters who sometimes annoy me, including those I Ignore. I'm glad I showed Ignored content. It's good to feel a bond & know we want much the same thing.

My history goes back to Ed Slomcenski & Toby Kimball. I have the latter's scratchy autograph. In those days, I accompanied my dad and 2 other taciturn men out to the Field House, pre-I-84, on school nights. I got to tear the brightly colored season tickets out of their booklets. Saw Dave Bing & Dr. J. Bar none, this is my most powerful father-son connection. It's the WHY that was asked.

At this point, I have jettisoned most major sports fandom - better things to do with my time.
Pro seasons begin with round two of the playoffs, and even then I really just want to see the game played well. I used to follow all major sports majorly and have some pretty good ticket stubs to show for it.

I follow UConn Men's Basketball 12 months a year. For that, I blame all of you collectively. Because of so many competing interests, I get frustrated when I see lousy basketball being played. But I plan my days and watch the games, and I look to see team development from day one until the season ends.

Last year I looked for the 'lesson' within the recognition that I was paying close attention to a bad team at a time on my life when I'm highly focused on letting go of what doesn't work and increasing what does. It reminded me of times that I accepted unpleasant family members as a 'gift' of sorts because it's otherwise so easy to eliminate or reduce the presence of difficult people from my life.

Rambling now, but you get the idea. I'm a lifer. I don't want the good times to end.

Evert year, I want to see a team that comes together and plays well, protects the ball, makes defensive stops, hits its free throws, and makes our little state proud for the same silly reasons that it does so for bigger states that might not offer as much as where I was raised & now live.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I began to love UConn when I was 9yrs old. I remember sitting in my kitchen with my dad watching Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor beat the breaks off of G Tech. I've never stopped loving UConn after that moment. My dad has been a die hard since the 70's and knew a few of the players throughout the yrs(he was a frequent visitor on UConn's campus a.k.a. he was a party animal) he actually grew up with earl Kelley. I can't imagine not being a UConn fan. My love for the team is embarrassing at times lol. I get mad when we lose and super excited and irrational when we win. I'd never want to root for another team.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What happened is we won 4 Naties and expectations changed. That's what.

Your expectations should have changed when Calhoun retired and the conference shift happened.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Your expectations should have changed when Calhoun retired and the conference shift happened.
Those things that were expectations should have become wishes when Calhoun retired. I know that I wasn’t “expecting” national championships and top 10 teams right away. And then we went out and won the damn thing in ‘14! So it’s not unreasonable to want those lofty heights again so soon, neither is it unreasonable to have some patience and see if Calhoun’s hand-picked successor can right the ship.

I grew up in CT loving the game of basketball, playing it every chance I could, but never being either big enough, strong enough, or quick enough to play at a high level. Started following the Huskies in the early 70’s in grade school and never stopped. Much easier then. You only found out about recruits after they signed. Yankee Conference, then miraculously joining the best hoop conference in history. I didn’t attend UConn, but they were my team.

I followed basketball closely enough that when UConn was looking for a new head coach in the 80’s Calhoun was the guy I wanted. And they got him!! I started going to Big East tournaments in New York in ‘91 and made it to the next 20, always wearing my UConn gear. The most thrilling moment was the late game comeback against Iverson and Georgetown in ‘96. That was magic.

Now I’m not as worried about the recruiting as I am the coaching. The kids coming out of high school need guidance to become better on the court, to understand the offensive and defensive sides of the game better, to know where to be instinctively and how best to attack the opponent on both sides of the ball. It can’t just be about talent, it’s not likely that we will ever have the most talented team in the country. But we can play the best brand of basketball.

After all, we’ve done it before. Enjoy the season. This is a young team. I won’t be as bothered if they miss the tournament if I see great player development and that kind of smart, tough, basketball I saw before show up as this year progresses. That’s on coaching.

Reaction Score
Going to the Field House with dad and my brother. George Erlich on the transistor under the pillow on a school night. Wes B, Bill Corley, Ron Hrubala, Bobby Staak, Bobby Boyd and then so many others to follow.

Dee Rowe, JC. Winning and winning BIG only came with what was already being a fan of a school in a state I lived in. I appreciate the whole ride and it's still going, bumpy as it is I still love the ride.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom