Why do you like UConn? | The Boneyard

Why do you like UConn?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Serious question. I've found that since I've joined the BY I've become a much more jaded fan of UConn MBB. The attitude of a lot of folks around here seems better suited for a team like Duke or UK. I recognize that as fans of a program of course it's fair to be critical, but it seems like most people here just hate UConn. With what this program has gone through in the past 5 years, of course it's going to be a slow road to recovery.

What happened to just enjoying a team, and school pride? I don't feel like I can simply watch uconn hoops and enjoy it anymore. If I defend enjoying UConn, which has given me lifelong pride of being a Husky, I'm an apologist. Maybe it would benefit all of us to take a step back and enjoy what we have.

I really don't know why I'm posting this or what I hope to get out of this. But why do you all like UConn over a team like Duke, UNC, or UK? The toxicity around here makes me think some of us belong in one of those fan bases.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
My older brother liked them and I just followed suit. Only applied to one school for college. You know who it is.

Reaction Score
Why do you think most of us like UCONN? Hint... It's not too difficult. Fandom chooses you, I don't think I necessarily made this decision.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Serious question. I've found that since I've joined the BY I've become a much more jaded fan of UConn MBB. The attitude of a lot of folks around here seems better suited for a team like Duke or UK. I recognize that as fans of a program of course it's fair to be critical, but it seems like most people here just hate UConn. With what this program has gone through in the past 5 years, of course it's going to be a slow road to recovery.

What happened to just enjoying a team, and school pride? I don't feel like I can simply watch uconn hoops and enjoy it anymore. If I defend enjoying UConn, which has given me lifelong pride of being a Husky, I'm an apologist. Maybe it would benefit all of us to take a step back and enjoy what we have.

I really don't know why I'm posting this or what I hope to get out of this. But why do you all like UConn over a team like Duke, UNC, or UK? The toxicity around here makes me think some of us belong in one of those fan bases.
Hmm, how can I say this tactfully? "Grow a sack."

The BY has always been a volatile place with some posters loving nothing more than being able to decry any problems. When I get sick of people bitching, I give it a break for a while. I rarely get on the night of a bad loss. Participation here isn't mandatory.

That said, I've been a fan Connecticut for nearly 40 years. I can't see anything changing that. There have been great highs and some tough times. Supporting the program through both is what being a fan does.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Many only have an affinity for the titles and the lottery picks. When those dry up, they won't know what to do with themselves.

Reaction Score
I think the board is prolly a little different for everyone. but no doubt all 100% don't miss a game Uconn fans. If everyone was the same and came on the board everyday with the same positive stuff it would be so lame. Like everything else we're all different and have different views and scope of what we're lookin at.

So "we" call you an apologist and you, question why we're fans....... some people believe in the potential to be the "duke, unc, uk" UConn has been there before, and some are happy being something else, 6th place in AAC.

Reaction Score
The answer gotta be Chief00 right? Duke don’t have a Chief. Kentucky don’t have a Chief. Only UConn BTW I added some dumbed down English for Hans to enjoy

Reaction Score
Many only have an affinity for the titles and the lottery picks. When those dry up, they won't know what to do with themselves.

TO BE COMPETITIVE!!! You're talking like people are mad because UConn keeps losing in the elite 8. Is being a top three team in AAC to much to thrive for?

No one cares about lottery picks.... how did the two last #1's do in their one and done.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
TO BE COMPETITIVE!!! You're talking like people are mad because UConn keeps losing in the elite 8. Is being a top three team in AAC to much to thrive for?

No one cares about lottery picks.... how did the two last #1's do in their one and done.

You see, I would take this post seriously if you weren't talking about how you expect UConn to be Duke/Kentucky/UNC earlier ITT.

Folks like you try to make others look foolish for questioning "reasonable" expectations, but the mask always slips.

Reaction Score
Why?
  • Beast of the East
  • Big Monday battles
  • Top talent + IDGAF attitude
  • Salty curmudgeon coach
  • Unique home court (half the time)
Now, the tough part - how to remain relevant in a world with more quality players, coaches and a conference that doesn't offer marquee, regional games

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

I saw a lot of people complaining specifically about the lack of NBA prospects on our roster a few nights ago.

Reaction Score
Yep. Jalen's borderline and he's probably our best talent. Times are a changin

Reaction Score
I am a UConn fan because it is so ingrained in me, it will never leave. Nor would I want it to.

I watched UConn games when I was in high school and that's how I began to think about going to school at UConn. I wound up going to school there and eventually became an orientation leader and a campus tour guide because I grew to love the campus and did lots of things all over the place I felt very comfortable leading people around. It was a pretty cool thing as a result of doing that I could Usher at the basketball and football games which was a nothing job you helped about 6 people and pointed them toward the section they were in and in return you got like 25 bucks and you got to see the game for free. I had classes with some of the players and they were good guys, Besselink and Economou were the two I knew pretty well and they were real good guys. I was also what they call the a Bus Captain when they had trips down to the Civic Center and me and my roommate who was the Student Union Board of Governors president who organized these things would sit in the front row right behind the basket for the whole season. It was great. Since then I've had season tickets for decades and I really enjoy still going back to campus and seeing the games at Gampel. I love UConn basketball and it would thrill me so much just to be relevant again and be a team that's likely to make the tournament and might be a dark horse candidate to make some noise. That would absolutely thrill me.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I was raised this way. My old man came from Jersey without a team to latch on to until our boys rose to the occasion in the late 80's. From there its been the center of our relationship, especially more so after he and moms split. There wasnt another college i wanted to attend. Uconn or bust. Im hoping to continue the relationship now with my son. Win or lose, good years and bad years, im Uconn made through and through.

Reaction Score
I like UCONN because Jim Calhoun made us proud of what he built into a national power with incredible basketball moments in NCAA men's basketball history with many great players produced. UCONN basketball was magic. UCONN basketball created for 25 years created fans all around the country.

Right now since 2014 Ollie has us performing at the same level as Tulsa. That's the problem. Right now we look weak, raggedy, and lacking any semblance of a high tier D-1 basketball team. Some of us refuse to accept this as UCONN's fate because we believe it's potential to be a hell of a lot higher.

Reaction Score
It's mostly school pride for me. I'm not even a huge basketball fan, I pretty much only watch UConn and then the occasional other game every couple weeks until conference tournaments and march madness start.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
krinkle...you probably read a lot more threads than I do but overall your original post, to me, is strange. Dook and Kentucky fans do not know NIT seasons or bans. We do. To equate some UCONN fans to Dookies and two-teefers is nuts.

After some minor glory days with Karl Hobbs, Corny Thompson and Mike McKay I remember watching Terrance Warren piss himself dribbling upcourt against GTown. But I was still there rooting for him. T. Coffey, Earl Williams and Gerry Besselink every night. Then Jeff King, Phil Gamble and Tate, "Wanna Invest?" George. UCONN fans in their 50s were hardened by Dom Pernos waning years. These are your unwavering fans.

The JC years brought the fans you must be relating to. 30 years of near excellence. You are now experiencing a crack withdrawal by the "young" fans. It ain't easy.

Reaction Score
Was a student when we first joined the Big East and fondly remember the sweltering games in the Field House with everyone jumping up and down on the bleachers. It was hot and loud and we would get thumped night in and night out by the likes of even Seton Hall, but the enthusiasm of the fan base and the vision of an Irishman from Boston created something special. Initially we won a few games here and there in the Big East. Next it was the occasional upset of one of the heavyweights. And then there was hope that we could compete in the Big East, and compete we did. Once we won the 1st Big East tournament championship in 1990, I knew we had arrived. Rest is history! Proud to say my daughter is a current UConn student carrying on the legacy. Huskies forever!

Reaction Score
Is this really that complicated? I like UConn because I grew up in Connecticut. They are the home-state team.

Being a fan does not mean waving pom-poms and spouting optimism for the sake of optimism. Being a fan means that you want the team to succeed. I don't think any of us wants the team to fail, and we are frustrated with rampant failure over the last 3 years.

Reaction Score
Maybe it would benefit all of us to take a step back and enjoy what we have.
I still have my University of Connecticut rear windshield decal, through my time in Boston, Vegas, and now here in San Diego. I have a ton of UConn pride, way more than most of my friends in hindsight. It’s been awful to see where the AD is now.

But I was at UConn 08-12, I’d argue one of the better windows of UConn athletics: peak Edsall football and Fiesta Bowl bid; the last truly UConn-great basketball squad in 09; one of the most incredible postseason runs in the history of sport; and of course watched the women dominate. I was on campus to live and celebrate all that. And nothing can take that away. The kind of spirit that gets ingrained in you through that doesn’t just go away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom