Why did Ollie cut his presser short? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why did Ollie cut his presser short?

Reaction Score
Sorry when you walk away with $10 million from a broke athletic department on the way out the door - there is going to be anger directed at you. Compassion? His dog didn't die - he murdered the program.

Look Ollie is obviously not up to the task. No doubt he needs to go...but I'm pretty sure he is not sucking on purpose and it wasn't his goal to be a complete failure. All Ollie would have to do is listen to the announcers to understand how bad the accessment of this team is...

If you want to be mad at him then go ahead but it won't change anything. Fire him with class and move on...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
It’s pretty pathetic how he gave this presser! Those of you still in his corner should watch his body language and listen to the tone of his voice...this is a man who doesn’t care about the program he gets paid $3.0 million/year to coach. He should have been fired after he walked away!

I didn't see anything in the presser to suggest he doesn't care. He just seemed beaten down by all the losing. He's lost control of the program, or doesn't know how to coach, or hasn't recruited well ... whatever. If the presser is any indication, the losing is starting to get to him. It would certainly get to me if I were the coach.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty pathetic how he gave this presser! Those of you still in his corner should watch his body language and listen to the tone of his voice...this is a man who doesn’t care about the program he gets paid $3.0 million/year to coach. He should have been fired after he walked away!
It's a man who knows he's fired.

Jeez and people think I'm harsh.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If KO had tried and failed he would have been looked at as more sympathetic figure. The fact that that according to many accounts he mailed it in the past few years eroded a lot of that for me at least.

He'll always have 2014 but you have to think he's going to regret that he had the world (or at least CT) by the balls and squandered it.

Reaction Score
Life is all about 2nd & 3rd & 4th & 5th acts..........KO is still a young man & he will get more opportunities down the road, just too bad for all of us it hasn't worked out here after the early success.

If he's gone in the coming weeks I wish him well & great success down the road.....I'll remember the KO from his playing days & 2012-2014 coaching tenure and try to forget the rest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
STOP SAYING DOESNT CARE THAT IS JUST STUPID. EVEN THE BIGGEST CALLERS FOR CHANGE DONT BELIEVE THAT.
I think he cares about results and the university but he has not taken the job seriously enough. He has not been the same guy since 2014 and he hasn't put in the effort necessary to run a program of our caliber. If he cared as much as you say he would have hit the recruiting trail harder and not pushed away great basketball minds that he could have learned from.

Reaction Score
He has made a LOTof $$ from the athletic Dept so far and stands to collect $10 million heading out the door like @whaler11 just posted. He also makes $3 mill/yr and this is part of his job! Add that to the fact he has brought this all on himself..Inhave ZERO compasson for him as a coach having to answer to his performance! You don’t want to speak to the press have your SID hand out a list game quote sheet with the stats! That was ridiculous!
With the financial state of the school, he’s not going anywhere. No one has an extra $10M sitting around.

Reaction Score
I can assure you, money doesn’t make you impervious to pain or sadness. This guy isn’t losing on purpose. He’s tired, disappointed, embarrassed and more than anything, he’s likely really torn up that his legacy at UConn is tarnished. If you think money will erase that pain, you are kidding yourself. Will he wake up rich when all is said and done? Yes, but he was rich when he got the job. This sucks for KO.

Reaction Score
He answered every question asked of him but couldn't wait to get out of there. The press took it easy on him with some soft ball open ended questions. He knows it's over, press knows it's over, we know it's over, no need to pile on
If he’s gone. Maybe a few years out of the UConn shadow to grow is best. Guys like him do have pride. And if he does figure it out and prove he can build a program like he will at ECU (cuz that’s whats going to happen when they dominate the aac and get into the ACC in 5 years to keep the NC state, unc and duke rivalries going with football and baseball as well ) we will give him a chance to reconcile and get us titles 7&8(I am still an optimistic fan, and I feel he has some pride and a sense of a job left undone) I am sure we can all agree on that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Calhoun used to cut press conferences short. Nobody but perhaps some of the media in attendance ever complained about it.

Reaction Score
Life is all about 2nd & 3rd & 4th & 5th acts.....KO is still a young man & he will get more opportunities down the road, just too bad for all of us it hasn't worked out here after the early success.

If he's gone in the coming weeks I wish him well & great success down the road.....I'll remember the KO from his playing days & 2012-2014 coaching tenure and try to forget the rest.
We'll be hearing about Kevin Ollie doing great things for another team down the road, it just didn't happen to be a good fit at this particular time with us.

Reaction Score
Life is all about 2nd & 3rd & 4th & 5th acts.....KO is still a young man & he will get more opportunities down the road, just too bad for all of us it hasn't worked out here after the early success.

If he negotiates a buyout that allows his and our beloved program to hire a top flight coach then I’ll wish him well and know he’s the man he wants us to believe he is. If he walks with the $10m and we’re stuck with a half assed coach then my opinion will be less than loving and respectful.

Reaction Score
He even looks like a shadow of himself on the bench, he must know it's over. No way I can get upset about the press conference. He did a decent job under the circumstances. There are many reasons to be unhappy about the state of the program, but anyone being critical of the press conference is just letting all the other stuff carry over.

At this point, I am hoping for a mutually agreeable buyout where he can leave with some dignity. Then we can start over with a clean slate and bona fide hope.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom