Why did Ollie cut his presser short? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why did Ollie cut his presser short?

Reaction Score
It’s comical to me that people still defend our 10 million dollar coach. Just open your eyes. This is arguably the most poorly coached team in America and it’s because Kevin Ollie didn’t put in the work to even be competent forget about great.

No one is defending him try to read it. You just elect to kick him while he’s down and most don’t respect that either.

Reaction Score
Sorry when you walk away with $10 million from a broke athletic department on the way out the door - there is going to be anger directed at you. Compassion? His dog didn't die - he murdered the program.
Ollie didn't hold a gun to anyone's head. He has every right to try for as much as he can get.

Reaction Score
DO and Whaley must be the best practice players ever. Marcus Williams got thrown out of 3 practices under Calhoun and i'm sure started every following game. I see the value in practice and working hard but when your on the hot seat and need victories you need to suck it up and play whoever can help you win.

Everyone here kills Williams but when he has gotten in he has rebounded even early in season. He had many breakdowns on defense early and lost his man and looked lost but he also rebounded hard. Almost everyone has looked lost on defense so get the kid minutes.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
how did that work out for Chillious at Washington? And he's tied to Fultz who has come up in the FBI reports. He's not irreplaceable

Chillious is the Associate Head Coach. I believe he held the same position at Washington.

His team lost their last THIRTEEN games last year and UConn is 13 and 16 this year. That means his team has only won 13 of the last 42 games where he is the Associate head coach.

He may be a real good recruiter, but if the talent doesn't win ballgames that won't cut it. I honestly don't fear losing any of the coaches on this staff. The program needs a clean slate.
He may or may not be an ace recruiter, I think even with the “success” at UW the jury is clearly still out. But if you’re changing the lead dog then the new guy gets to pick the rest of the team pulling the sled. And from what I’ve seen from the bench this year none are indispensable.

C

Chief00

He may or may not be an ace recruiter, I think even with the “success” at UW the jury is clearly still out. But if you’re changing the lead dog then the new guy gets to pick the rest of the team pulling the sled. And from what I’ve seen from the bench this year none are indispensable.
Probably correct - and I don’t know what went on at Washington other than getting top recruits and losing lots of games. But, I will throw out the idea that the skill set for bench coaching and recruiting can be very different. Whoever is head coach will need a combination of both skills on his staff. I for one, hopes he seriously considers Chill for his top recruiter.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If KO had tried and failed he would have been looked at as more sympathetic figure. The fact that that according to many accounts he mailed it in the past few years eroded a lot of that for me at least.

He'll always have 2014 but you have to think he's going to regret that he had the world (or at least CT) by the balls and squandered it.

I hear this a lot, and I'm not challenging what you're saying, but what are the sources saying that KO has mailed it in? I've only really seen that from BY posters

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Williams is literally the only big who actually tries to rebound. The others don’t fight for boards at all but go for moronic reach in fouls after the ball is secured away.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I hear this a lot, and I'm not challenging what you're saying, but what are the sources saying that KO has mailed it in? I've only really seen that from BY posters

Boneyard conjecture first and foremost, but then heard various things from other non-Boneyard people that align with what people are saying on here.

Reaction Score
Saw a few ask "what do you think he should say?

How about each and every-time he is up there is apologizes to the kids for failing them and to the fans for failing us. This is not some POS basketball school this is the most successful mens program in the last 25 years. That is why we look at him the way we do, he thinks this is the NBA and a #1 pick is about to come and save the day......well this is starting to be the Sad Sac Kings.

Im embarrassed for him but at this point just ready for it to be over. He shows NO FIGHT, the same fight he asks his players for?

Reaction Score
What the hell do you want the guy to say
He won't be here next year
So cut the freak'n BS
He should make a deal with with the school and leave. He keeps hurting the program. I can't feel sorry for a person making 3 mil. a year and not earning it. I also blame the administration for handing out these huge contracts to coaches who have not earned them. Benedict should pay the buy out fee!

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me but I will gladly take another coach who wins a national championship and then "mails it in" for a couple years. And then I will gladly celebrate his accomplishments when he's gone.

Let's not forget that he's won two titles as a coach at UConn. He joined the staff in 2010 - don't try to tell me that he didn't make an impact on the team. Then there's the part where he went a combined 32-4 in the Big East as an upperclassmen when he played here...

I don't know how hard he's worked. I imagine that where there is enough smoke on that sort of thing, there is some fire, but ultimately we don't know. If some emotional pain led him to transition from "hyper-active work machine who never sleeps" to "guy who still works hard but doesn't have his heart in it enough to lead a D-1 program" then I think I can find it in my heart to forgive him. But the way you all make it sound on this board, he's showing up to games at the first media timeout in a bathing suit. There are going to be fluctuations in how hard somebody works at their job and the fact that his job is important to you doesn't make him immune to that, regardless of how much money he makes.

People are frustrated right now but in five years they'll probably look back and feel stupid for ever thinking there was any ambiguity here. He's a UConn legend and to think otherwise makes you sound incredibly spoiled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom