Who's your list for next HC? | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Again, this is Benedict’s first opportunity to hire a football HC with no financial strings attached. He was limited in his options when hiring Edsall due to Diaco’s buyout and ??s of the AAC stability.

He is not going to hire Spanos. Benedict made a great hoops hire in Hurley and he is going for a similar success for football which would make him a top candidate for a P5 AD position.

Reaction Score
We are not capable of looking 2 inches past our nose apparently.
If only we looked under our nose in 2011 and hired Moorhead, we might be in the ACC right now.

Spanos in not TJ Weist, his resume is much better and whoever we hire is going to have a hard time finding themselves a OC as good as Mazzone.

Fingers crossed Spanos wins the next three games with the backup QB and makes this a legit debate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Benedict made a great hoops hire in Hurley and he is going for a similar success for football which would make him a top candidate for a P5 AD position.
The Hurley equivalent for this football team is Moorhead. If DB can pull that off more power to him.

Hopefully Moorhead is OK by the way after his "emergency surgery".

Reaction Score
I see no problem giving Spanos a year to recruit and build something. We have burnt 10 years on failures. What’s another year with guy who has some things start to work.

Reaction Score
I see no problem giving Spanos a year to recruit and build something. We have burnt 10 years on failures. What’s another year with guy who has some things start to work.
Don't think we can recruit with a coach who has a 1 year contract. I hope he wins enough games to make it a tough decision. That's a problem we want to have.

Reaction Score
Don't think we can recruit with a coach who has a 1 year contract. I hope he wins enough games to make it a tough decision. That's a problem we want to have.
Yeah, it’s a good point.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
The announcers in the Vandy game said the coaches will not be back..

Reaction Score
The announcers in the Vandy game said the coaches will not be back..

They're just using common sense, not any real inside information. When the head coach is terminated (or "retires"), the staff goes too. They'll have to interview/impress the new hire to stay on... and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that no one from a team/staff that has one FBS victory since October of 2017 is going to be retained.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We must play competitive FBS football to be a premier flagship state university. UCONN leaders know this. They will invest the money to make it happen.

Reaction Score
The Hurley equivalent for this football team is Moorhead. If DB can pull that off more power to him.

Hopefully Moorhead is OK by the way after his "emergency surgery".
Hurley did not have P5 HC experience like Moorhead does. Hurley came from a nice progression of success starting at lower levels prep school, Rutgers assistant, Wagner HC, URI HC and then UConn. Look for Benedict to focus on a similar candidate for football (energetic personality with some HC experience and known ability to recruit and develop a program).

Reaction Score
If only we looked under our nose in 2011 and hired Moorhead, we might be in the ACC right now.

Spanos in not TJ Weist, his resume is much better and whoever we hire is going to have a hard time finding themselves a OC as good as Mazzone.

Fingers crossed Spanos wins the next three games with the backup QB and makes this a legit debate.

Enough

This is some fantasy dream you guys have. I don't think we were that close to ACC. HOW in the world would the stakeholders of Connecticut - including the angry taxpayers - go for the grifting like Louisville did for that YUM Center and PapaJohn's Stadium. Even Rutgers pushed out some crazy money and helicopters. Football is ultimately about that pinching dollars and spinning graft. We did not have the decades of history: thus Pitt was far more a candidate. WE have better prospects - I think - as a fanbase than BC or SU; yet, nobody thought about State U. building and building ... they rather be in dumpy Carrier dome (which btw ... it ain't new - please stop the puffing facilites guy in 315) or Alumni. WE could be the New England Flagship for ACC or B1G. However, we are a State and University that won't go the extra mile that the Big Time sports league demands. We were never at the altar. And then the AAC would always have sunk our path

My view now

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It might not happen because Spanos himself might not want this headache and boy what a statement that would make about D-1 football in CT.
:rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enough

This is some fantasy dream you guys have. I don't think we were that close to ACC. HOW in the world would the stakeholders of Connecticut - including the angry taxpayers - go for the grifting like Louisville did for that YUM Center and PapaJohn's Stadium. Even Rutgers pushed out some crazy money and helicopters. Football is ultimately about that pinching dollars and spinning graft. We did not have the decades of history: thus Pitt was far more a candidate. WE have better prospects - I think - as a fanbase than BC or SU; yet, nobody thought about State U. building and building ... they rather be in dumpy Carrier dome (which btw ... it ain't new - please stop the puffing facilites guy in 315) or Alumni. WE could be the New England Flagship for ACC or B1G. However, we are a State and University that won't go the extra mile that the Big Time sports league demands. We were never at the altar. And then the AAC would always have sunk our path

My view now
The facts of this just aren’t accurate, but you know that. They’ve been discussed and documented here ad nauseam, so I won’t bother to do it again.

Reaction Score
There are lots of Hurleys out there us. With an interim and 2500 a week consultant we’ve seen positive growth. It’s not like Moorhead is the only hope.
The obsession with Moorhead is brutal to read. He's not coming. He went to Oregon to rebuild his reputation as an "offensive mind" after faltering at what was a bad cultural fit for him. He's positioning himself for another P5 Job. He may not get another bite of the apple if he falters again. He could go to Uconn turn things around and land himself a P5 Gig in 3 years. He could also go there, lose a bunch, and have the bloom come off the rose. He'll stay at OU for 2 years, go to 2 Rose Bowls, and then take over somewhere in The ACC like Pitt, Duke, or Cuse. If he goes G5 I could see Temple as he could recruit PA. Posters need to broaden their view. Young FCS HC, P5 OC, or underpaid G5 HC looking for a pay bump.

Reaction Score
The obsession with Moorhead is brutal to read. He's not coming. He went to Oregon to rebuild his reputation as an "offensive mind" after faltering at what was a bad cultural fit for him. He's positioning himself for another P5 Job. He may not get another bite of the apple if he falters again. He could go to Uconn turn things around and land himself a P5 Gig in 3 years. He could also go there, lose a bunch, and have the bloom come off the rose. He'll stay at OU for 2 years, go to 2 Rose Bowls, and then take over somewhere in The ACC like Pitt, Duke, or Cuse. If he goes G5 I could see Temple as he could recruit PA. Posters need to broaden their view. Young FCS HC, P5 OC, or underpaid G5 HC looking for a pay bump.
let's hope the Search firm UConn is hiring pays attention to this... I think you're spot on... We could potentially come here ... and stay ( a la Geno and Calhoun )... Would be nice for that to happen...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whole lotta if this and if that in here. Not surprising, there is no basis upon which to make a hire at this point. Nobody is offering Spanos the job until the season is over, if at all. Dave will also be contacting people and gauging interest. He will know what his budget is. From that he can build a picture of who might come (or stay) and what they would cost. When is the next open recruiting window? Does anybody have a sense of Spanos as a recruiter?

We can sit here and throw crap at the walls, but all of it is pointless because we, and even DB, don't have sufficient data, and won't for another two months.

Reaction Score
They're just using common sense, not any real inside information. When the head coach is terminated (or "retires"), the staff goes too. They'll have to interview/impress the new hire to stay on... and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that no one from a team/staff that has one FBS victory since October of 2017 is going to be retained.
Even when LSU kept Ed O, after being an interm HC, he brought in his own staff. I would think if Spanos gets the job he absolutely will bring in all his own guys.

Reaction Score
i feel like shawn elliot could be a decent candidate look what hes done to GA state that does not have any where near the facilities of Uconn his salary is only 604,000 a year as well. he would be more of a realistic candidate for the job. he did pretty well with a newer program that formed in 2010. since 2017 elliot has taken the team to three bowl games. his first recruiting class was highest in school history due to short announcement of hire. so hes come in before to a struggling program and was somewhat successful

Reaction Score
let's hope the Search firm UConn is hiring pays attention to this... I think you're spot on... We could potentially come here ... and stay ( a la Geno and Calhoun )... Would be nice for that to happen...

That won’t happen, the kind of coach who wants to stay here isn’t the kind of coach we need.

20 years ago Cincy was dreck. Temple was even worse. Now they are appealing jobs because the school made smart hiring decisions.

Reaction Score

You may be right, However that’s simply your opinion. We don’t know what Moorhead is thinking and how he views UConn. I know when Edsall left the first time he wanted to be the head coach here, he still may be interested. Do you have any contact to Moorhead to make a guaranteed statement like “ He’s not coming” ?

Edit: there’s sources out there I believe that says Moorhead is on the list of potential coaches, now will he accept if given the job is a decision he and his family would only know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be up to morehead. I would think PSU or Pitt could could be an option for him if that opens up.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Whoever UConn gets it has to be an improvement what has been here the last ten years and that coach needs some money to hire quality people to surround himself

Reaction Score
You may be right, However that’s simply your opinion. We don’t know what Moorhead is thinking and how he views UConn. I know when Edsall left the first time he wanted to be the head coach here, he still may be interested. Do you have any contact to Moorhead to make a guaranteed statement like “ He’s not coming” ?

Edit: there’s sources out there I believe that says Moorhead is on the list of potential coaches, now will he accept if given the job is a decision he and his family would only know.

It is my opinion, but it is the one most easily dictated by logic. If he's interested in coaching at the P5 Level again the easiest path is 2-3 successful seasons as OC at Oregon where he won't be exposed. Go to Uconn and he could potentially struggle for 3 years before acquiring the talent needed to win 7-8 Games. Struggle longer than that and he might have to take a "prove it" job at a different G5 School before he gets the chance to move up again. I could be completely wrong and he could be happy running The Huskies, however coaches at this level have enormous egos and it likely does not sit well with him how things ended in Starkville. He's likely chomping at the bit to prove he can get it done at that level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom