Who's your list for next HC? | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
I agree with that. Moorhead also won quickly at Fordham and MISS ST.

Edsall on the other hand famously went to Maryland and benched the ACC freshman of the year QB who ended up transferring. Edsall took a winning team at Maryland and took them backwards. He pulled the same crap when he took over at UCONN from Holtz.
TBF he was brought in at Maryland to clean up the program from the previous regime. Everyone, but him knew he wasn't going to be successful there. LOL

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Sorry, I didn't. Sometimes it's hard to tell in print and I spend my life doling out sarcasm. To be fair, there are some interesting takes out here so I can't assume the crazy suggestion is automatically sarcasm. Toss me a wink next time. ;)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn will not find another coach under 55, willing to take less pay than a typical FBS coach (< 2.0 million, we also uhhh don't have money...)
Sigh...

UConn is $4B enterprise. The have over $350M is cash and cash equivalents. So just from cash on hand they can a coach $2M for 175 years. Longer, assuming that the cash isn't just sitting in a desk drawer somewhere.

But don't take my word for it.... Link to financials

Reaction Score
Sigh...

UConn is $4B enterprise. The have over $350M is cash and cash equivalents. So just from cash on hand they can a coach $2M for 175 years. Longer, assuming that the cash isn't just sitting in a desk drawer somewhere.

But don't take my word for it.... Link to financials
And those figures don’t include the $$$ in the Foundation!

Reaction Score
thanks for this post clarifying this info. Spanos has a great chance to be coach still and SHOULD BE. UConn will not find another coach under 55, willing to take less pay than a typical FBS coach (< 2.0 million, we also uhhh don't have money...), with NFL experience (20 years and 2 SB rings), College experience (UCLA, Alabama, etc.), and ENERGETIC and LIKED by the players and staff. Plus another change in leadership would mean another 1-2 extremely rough years as a mass exodus of young talent would be likely. Lou is young(ish) (comparatively speaking here to people with similar resumes) and this team is night and day from where it was the first few games. The energy, creativity, and experience he has brought is needed at a school like UConn. He checks all of the boxes and if he is retained there would be no aforementioned mass exodus and exhaustive "rebuild" again.. the current one would just continue....
Pass on Spanos. Ya’ll need to take off the rose colored glasses. Wish him well, but he isn’t the answer

Reaction Score
You only hire the interim when the previous HC had success and leaves for a "better" job. In that case the interim more than likely had success and everyone could support the hire. In this case the HC was for all intents and purposes fired and the interim was the coordinator of one of the worst defenses in the country.

Spanos is by all accounts a great person and generally successful coach, but he is not the answer now. That would be submitting to failure and Benedict and other major stakeholders have already stated their commitment to reviving the football team.

Reaction Score
Tim Lester of Western Michigan is impressive today. Ball control chain moving offense and develops QB with a nice MAC opening win over Buffalo on the road. His current QB has a rating in the top 5 in CFB. He beat Pitt this year on the road; beat FCS by 4 TDS; good solid San Jose Team beat; and the previous HC Fleck has done well at the higher level. Lester was a HC at a D2 level. Defense looked solid. Heady play in the last 3 minutes. well spoken and late 40s.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We're not hiring Spanos.
We have the money.

What kind of money?

Give a number for HC.

Give a number for coordinators.

Give a number for rest of asst. coach pool.

Reaction Score
We’ve seen some really bizarre calls from the sidelines.

We’ve also seen some really poor unforced penalties from the players due to a lack of winning IQ and discipline.

What I like is the high tempo hurry up offense. In two weeks Neil Mizzone (/s) did more to fix this offense than this staff could do in two off seasons!

I’m not saying hire Neal. But damn if he can do that then there are more coaches out there than can do that and more.

We’re never going to bring in 4-5 star talent by the boat load, so we need schematic edge that makes us a tough out on offense. A high tempo no huddle can give us that and we have the players that can do it. AND it looks super sexy. It will get fannies in the seats.

So I want to see a coach that will bring that philosophy and immediately build on what have in the roster. If that’s Neil or someone like him then fine. We’ve can do worse, heck we HAVE done worse.

We had a guy who woke up up every morning thinking Jack Zergiotis was better than Steven Krajewski and The Puma. Amazing right?

TLDR:Get someone who is ready to go out and compete with what we have. Go up tempo and instill a “ph&ck around and find out mentality” with this team.

Reaction Score
What kind of money?

Give a number for HC.

Give a number for coordinators.

Give a number for rest of asst. coach pool.
2-2.5 mil for HC. and 4-5 mil for entire staff (total) is completely reasonable for UConn, especially if they're serious about football.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Pass on Spanos. Ya’ll need to take off the rose colored glasses. Wish him well, but he isn’t the answer

While I am not on the Spanos train at all, he knows more about football than any of us. So not rose colored just the man has two super bowl rings and has a clue and why he brought in Mazzone to help with the offense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2-2.5 mil for HC. and 4-5 mil for entire staff (total) is completely reasonable for UConn, especially if they're serious about football.

$2.5 for staff is rough if UConn wants to succeed as an Indy.

Coordinators would be $500k-$700k each and at least 2-3 coaches are $250k each. There isn't any son of the coach discount. All other coaches are about $150k.

I think asst pool needs to be $3m minimum to hire a good staff.

Reaction Score
Tim Lester of Western Michigan is impressive today. Ball control chain moving offense and develops QB with a nice MAC opening win over Buffalo on the road. His current QB has a rating in the top 5 in CFB. He beat Pitt this year on the road; beat FCS by 4 TDS; good solid San Jose Team beat; and the previous HC Fleck has done well at the higher level. Lester was a HC at a D2 level. Defense looked solid. Heady play in the last 3 minutes. well spoken and late 40s.
Currently at $800,000, $1.1 million with incentives. He's got a good profile. Offer him $2 million with $3 million for staff..?

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I thought we would hear some names by now..

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Spanos. Here's why:
  • Continuity. The players seem to like him. He seems to have the team trending in the right direction. If he can grab two convincing wins in UMass and Yale and have the team put up a real fight in the last 4 that might be enough momentum to keep potential recruits and guys already here from jumping ship. And I'd just hate to see someone else come in and start all over again. This constant regime change is getting very old.
  • Smarts. NFL and P-5 experience. One of the first moves he made was to bring in Noel Mazzone and all of a sudden the offense starting scoring points. I thought that was great and something no one expected. I'd like to see what kind of a staff Spanos could put together if he is given the reins. Sure, some can point to what they consider "mistakes" he has made on the field but if those "chances" had paid off..... And why not take chances at this point in the season? See what works and what doesn't. Like having Rose pass the ball on a trick play. Now that's smart and something you'd never see Edsall come up with.
  • Style. Spanos is a breath of fresh air after the stagnant atmosphere the Edsall era left the program in.
  • Money. Spanos is here. He understands the circumstances the football program is in here in CT. If he is offered a competitive salary with G-5 HC's and is given a decent amount to hire "his" type of assistants along with incentives(bonuses for making a bowl game, filling the Rent, etc) then maybe it's a good hire for everyone concerned.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
  • Continuity. The players seem to like him. He seems to have the team trending in the right direction. If he can grab two convincing wins in UMass and Yale and have the team put up a real fight in the last 4 that might be enough momentum to keep potential recruits and guys already here from jumping ship. And I'd just hate to see someone else come in and start all over again. This constant regime change is getting very old.
  • Smarts. NFL and P-5 experience. One of the first moves he made was to bring in Noel Mazzone and all of a sudden the offense starting scoring points. I thought that was great and something no one expected. I'd like to see what kind of a staff Spanos could put together if he is given the reins. Sure, some can point to what they consider "mistakes" he has made on the field but if those "chances" had paid off..... And why not take chances at this point in the season? See what works and what doesn't. Like having Rose pass the ball on a trick play. Now that's smart and something you'd never see Edsall come up with.
  • Style. Spanos is a breath of fresh air after the stagnant atmosphere the Edsall era left the program in.
  • Money. Spanos is here. He understands the circumstances the football program is in here in CT. If he is offered a competitive salary with G-5 HC's and is given a decent amount to hire "his" type of assistants along with incentives(bonuses for making a bowl game, filling the Rent, etc) then maybe it's a good hire for everyone concerned.
Not happening

Reaction Score
I'd also like to add that if you gave Spanos an off season to recruit and hire a staff you'd see a much improved team heading to Logan, UT late next August.

Reaction Score

I am with you. Mazzone in particular was intriguing. I think WE all can get the fundamental reason WHY he isn't gonna advance to the HC slot if you listen to him on the Coach podcast with Crispino. We need a Personality ... kinda like the confidence with Calhoun / Auriemma. He has to sell. Bring the base fan and market beyond; bring kids in. Spanos is a breath of fresh air ... and the kids on this roster do obviously like him and love playing today. But ... HE doesn't bring the buzz

Benedict said Charisma. AND you know ... there are many nuanced components to that.

Reaction Score
Not happening
It might not happen because Spanos himself might not want this headache and boy what a statement that would make about D-1 football in CT.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know it's been said by quite a few but the coach has to want UConn and right now its definitely not one of the better houses in the neighborhood - without a doubt an extreme fixer-upper

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom