Who's your list for next HC? | Page 35 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
The triple option makes a lot of defensive coordinators look bad.
Now do Fresno, Purdue, and Holy Cross.

Every team we've played has made us look bad.

And... Air Force lost, which meant that they had their first team in and were trying to score the entire game. How many points would Army have put up against us if they tried the entire game? Considering they were only a field goal behind Air Force's total after one half, I'd suggest our defense—and our coordinator—have something other than just the "triple option" holding them back.

Reaction Score

Turned Princeton from laughing stock into a consistent top 25 FCS team, all while dealing with the Ivy League's restrictions (i.e. no scholarships and no post season). Only 53, so not a soon to be retiree by any stretch. Has shown that he can recruit at a high level (Beat Bama for their current starting QB IIRC). One concern is if he'd be willing to leave his alma mater.

Reaction Score
He made a point I agree, great not really. But he didn’t agree with me so my post is stupid and I’m a dolt? So overall he didn’t make a valid point. But i hope they find a great hire just not sure now being an independent and not winning for so long. Hope I’m wrong I do but rough road ahead for whomever.

you should have some compassion for the suffering of your fellow Boneyard members

Reaction Score
I don’t have a favorite really. But I do think this could be a solid gig for:
a. A guy on his way up and looking for his first D1 job. I don’t have a list of these guys. I assume Dave does;
b. A youngish guy trying to rehab his reputation after making a change to a job either he wasn’t right for or he didn’t succeed at the level the fans demanded. Maybe a Tom Herman or a Scott Frost type (who will probably be fired this year). Or Fuentes at VaTech Guys like that who were successful until they got those big gigs where 8-4 is failureeven under impossible conditions.

Reaction Score
you should have some compassion for the suffering of your fellow Boneyard members

I do for those who love the football program as much as I grew up loving the men’s basketball team. Just going with what I see by no means do I think I’m right but it’s painful to watch as of late. The Purdue and Army coaches were being respectful too.

Reaction Score
Kellen Moore

Currently OC for Cowboys. Incredible offensive mind. Shined in college at Boise St. Will be a great head coach one day, whether it’s in college or at the pro level.

Reaction Score
I do for those who love the football program as much as I grew up loving the men’s basketball team. Just going with what I see by no means do I think I’m right but it’s painful to watch as of late. The Purdue and Army coaches were being respectful too.

do you remember VENN Diagrams (widely used diagram style that shows logical relationship between sets)

Let's remind each other that there are basketball fans of UCONN MBB and WBB. Hockey + Soccer too. I think it is pathetic for some here on dear ol' BY ... to call out FB optimism and the best intentions of the FB fan

Let's take a walk. WE are a University that has created National Championships in multiple sports. A superior baseball program - one of the best in the North. A Hockey program from scratch. Got into a conference - via football - that wasn't good for our BRAND; and return to the BIG EAST and MSG. We are a Hoop school. But WE can have a solid Football program. Benedict proved that we can schedule effectively and broadly for 8 years in the future. With solid TV (at least for me). WE need to return to a raucous fun Rentschler. That has to come.

btw ... could the CBRE commercial real estate broker with the package on the Sale of the ancillary property send one to me Guess what they are talking about now. AFTER missing out on the Outlet boom by about ten years.

Reaction Score
Kellen Moore

Currently OC for Cowboys. Incredible offensive mind. Shined in college at Boise St. Will be a great head coach one day, whether it’s in college or at the pro level.
Can we stop with the 100% unrealistic options? Put yourself in his shoes. Why on God's Green Earth would he leave OC of the Cowboys for Storrs/East Hartford?

Reaction Score
Lashlee did a solid job here and at SMU. The season is still young, maybe Miami's QB stinks. They go up against Central CT next week.

The biggest knock against Lashlee is that he left here saying he didn't like living in the Northeast.

King was a preseason Heisman Candidate, so I'm not sure he's the problem. Their entire offense has been atrocious and Lashlee is in charge of it... I do agree that he was good at SMU, but he had the benefit of an experienced QB and very good receivers.

All fan bases have a soft spot for "their guys." Former players, coaches etc. That said this fanbase seems to prop up any mediocre candidate as long as they stepped foot in the state of Connecticut. You want a good coach? Pay 2+ Million. Guys making 500K at Sunbelt or MAC Schools are going to look really hard at an opportunity like that. Especially when you factor in better facilities, interesting scheduling opportunities, access to East Coast Recruiting. etc

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I do agree that he was good at SMU, but he had the benefit of an experienced QB and very good receivers.
And he had Sonny Dykes looking over his shoulder at SMU, and at Auburn he had Malzhan. Both offensive minds.

Reaction Score
And he had Sonny Dykes looking over his shoulder at SMU, and at Auburn he had Malzhan. Both offensive minds.
No sounding board for offensive strategizing working under Manny Diaz.

Reaction Score
I believe he didn’t call the plays in either place. First time he called plays was at UConn. And despite all the hype he gets here, he Hasn’t been offered any head coaching jobs. So you have to wonder.

Reaction Score
King was a preseason Heisman Candidate, so I'm not sure he's the problem. Their entire offense has been atrocious and Lashlee is in charge of it... I do agree that he was good at SMU, but he had the benefit of an experienced QB and very good receivers.

All fan bases have a soft spot for "their guys." Former players, coaches etc. That said this fanbase seems to prop up any mediocre candidate as long as they stepped foot in the state of Connecticut. You want a good coach? Pay 2+ Million. Guys making 500K at Sunbelt or MAC Schools are going to look really hard at an opportunity like that. Especially when you factor in better facilities, interesting scheduling opportunities, access to East Coast Recruiting. etc

King completed 38 passes for 388 yards last week against a good defense. This idea that Lashlee is suddenly a failing offensive coordinator is classic Boneyard. It's like saying Don Brown is a bad defensive coordinator because of Western Michigan.

That said my preference for a head coach is a current head coach at a lower level with a track record of success. I think that minimizes the chances of brining in another dud. If we do go the coordinator route again I definitely prefer an offensive coordinator.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other thing we need to just accept is that it is pretty likely that if the next coach is successful, he will be gone in 3 years. Especially if he is very successful.

The 3rd option, I guess, is to go the MAC route and find a good experienced head coach who was fired for not meeting “unrealistic expectations”. Frank Solich has been at Ohio for 10 years after going 58-19 at Nebraska with 12, 10, 11 and 2 9 win seasons in 6 years. Jim Mcelwain is at Central Michigan after failing to win a national championship at Florida. Im not sure who is out there, and after Edsall I doubt they go that direction, but his resume wasn’t exactly comparable.

I know there is a lot of support for Morehead, but he was kind of a mess in his last head coaching gig. He had player issues as well as other issues.

Reaction Score
The other thing we need to just accept is that it is pretty likely that if the next coach is successful, he will be gone in 3 years. Especially if he is very successful.

The 3rd option, I guess, is to go the MAC route and find a good experienced head coach who was fired for not meeting “unrealistic expectations”. Frank Solich has been at Ohio for 10 years after going 58-19 at Nebraska with 12, 10, 11 and 2 9 win seasons in 6 years. Jim Mcelwain is at Central Michigan after failing to win a national championship at Florida. Im not sure who is out there, and after Edsall I doubt they go that direction, but his resume wasn’t exactly comparable.

I know there is a lot of support for Morehead, but he was kind of a mess in his last head coaching gig. He had player issues as well as other issues.
I think these types of coaches would do great up in Storrs... like it or not we're in a similar boat as the Ohio U's and CMU's when it comes to football.... which is waaayyyyyyy better than where we are now...

.... back to bowl games at the very least.. that's a big part of what college football is all about...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pete Shinnick West Florida top team D2...Has won everywhere he has been started the program at West Florida..Would have a strong recruiting base in Florida..

Covered that on Pg. 9. Would be interesting.

1632405996102.png

Reaction Score
Can we stop with the 100% unrealistic options? Put yourself in his shoes. Why on God's Green Earth would he leave OC of the Cowboys for Storrs/East Hartford?
I recall the Defensive line/Co-Defensive Coordinator of the Cowboys who left to become the Head Coach at UConn a few years back...

Reaction Score
To his home-state; after a trip to a BCS game. It's a different situation entirely now... and Moore doesn't have the even a home region draw to Storrs

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I’m amazed with some of the bigger assistants names being thrown around. This is not a stepping stone it’s a rock in a stream that will turn and drop you in the
Water. Please head backwards get out of D1 immediately this is an embarrassment no coach who has a future will consider if he’s not on major drugs.
How did I miss this literary genius? "It's a rock in the stream that will turn and drop you in the Water."
A rock in a stream. Turns. Drops you in the water.
Your next poorly punctuated run-on sentence doesn't even bear repeating.
We'll close the door for you.
Thank you for your interest in UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
Pete Shinnick West Florida top team D2...Has won everywhere he has been started the program at West Florida..Would have a strong recruiting base in Florida..

He is 56 but if he gives us 5-7 good years why not. What do we know about his staff?

West Florida Staff

Reaction Score

Shinnick has the perfect resume IMO. He is exactly the type of guy we should be going after. Proven track record as a head coach at three different schools. Chesney at Holy Cross has also been successful at three different stops. These are the types of proven winners that we might have a shot at. The Yale coach is another guy who interests me.

We need to find our Lance Leipold.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shinnick has the perfect resume IMO. He is exactly the type of guy we should be going after. Proven track record as a head coach at three different schools. Chesney at Holy Cross has also been successful at three different stops. These are the types of proven winners that we might have a shot at. The Yale coach is another guy who interests me.

Moorhead has to be target #1. If not, we should be going after Cignetti or Entz. Both are proven winners and do more with less.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

100%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom