Who's your list for next HC? | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
I've got it, really though... Charles Huff... HC at Marshall making 755k. First season, yes. But of f to a solid start. Was Saquon Barkley's RB coach at Penn St with Moorhead. Went to Miss St with him where he was Associate Head Coach/ RB coach and run game coordinator. Then on to Alabama as Associate Head Coach/RB.

38 years young. Exciting coach with winning experience at top programs. From Maryland.

Reaction Score
Our current interim should be in the picture…no? He isn’t the most exciting guy, but hey, give him a chance.
He seems like a good guy, but no. This is a hire that 100% cannot be screwed up. Unless he magically wins 5 or 6 games with this roster, he is not a contender.

Reaction Score
Our current interim should be in the picture…no? He isn’t the most exciting guy, but hey, give him a chance.

Yes he is in the picture. Currently a longshot, but he has 8 more games to make his case, if he gets at least three wins and the players want him back he will be in the running. It is quite obvious he is doing everything possible to win the job and you have to respect that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes he is in the picture. Currently a longshot, but he has 8 more games to make his case, if he gets at least three wins and the players want him back he will be in the running.
Only way I see it is if AD David Benedict really likes him and hires a staff of great assistants and recruiters

Reaction Score
Only way I see it is if AD David Benedict really likes him and hires a staff of great assistants and recruiters

Certainly, and those rules should apply to any coach who is hired.

Ignoring Moorhead when he was here was a titanic mistake that we have hopefully learned from. If there is a qualified candidate in house you give him serious consideration.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes he is in the picture. Currently a longshot, but he has 8 more games to make his case, if he gets at least three wins and the players want him back he will be in the running. It is quite obvious he is doing everything possible to win the job and you have to respect that.
Certainly, and those rules should apply to any coach who is hired.

Ignoring Moorhead when he was here was a titanic mistake that we have hopefully learned from. If there is a qualified candidate in house you give him serious consideration.

Best thing Spanos has done to show he is worthy of being an HC (Not even necessarily at UConn) is bring in Mazzone. An HC can only do so much to improve the program. Surrounding himself with great assistants show an HC knows how to build a program.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Best thing Spanos has done to show he is worthy of being an HC (Not even necessarily at UConn) is bring in Mazzone. An HC can only do so much to improve the program. Surrounding himself with great assistants show an HC knows how to build a program.
Now he needs to find a $2500/week defensive analyst.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
My God, this is how far we have fallen. This is the mentality of a team of losers.
You are a bit of a jerk….guy has two Super Bowl rings and has been successful elsewhere…but hey…you know better. All I said is he should be considered, based on the rest of the season…who else you got?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For all of you who are touting Kevin Kelley: Let's see how his season goes. So far this season, his team has played 2 games against much lower level competition. It's akin to an FBS school playing against D-II or D-III. We all can better guage him as a coach after his FCS team plays some games against FCS tier schools.

Reaction Score
You are a bit of a jerk….guy has two Super Bowl rings and has been successful elsewhere…but hey…you know better. All I said is he should be considered, based on the rest of the season…who else you got?
Hiring an interim HC, elevated from a DC, whose defense sucks, is a bad idea. Running a program is much more than coaching some games. And his team is still getting whooped.

I'm not the AD. It's not my job to hire a person. But I don't think it's unreasonable to say that hiring the vaguely warm body currently dealing with this corpse of a team probably a bad idea.

Reaction Score
Hiring an interim HC, elevated from a DC, whose defense sucks, is a bad idea. Running a program is much more than coaching some games. And his team is still getting whooped.

I'm not the AD. It's not my job to hire a person. But I don't think it's unreasonable to say that hiring the vaguely warm body currently dealing with this corpse of a team probably a bad idea.

Closing doors on any and all possibilities at this point is just stupid. Cast a very large net that includes the current staff.

You are probably the type of person who didn't like KC Keeler because of his look in sunglasses or Don Brown because of the Western Michigan games.

Reaction Score

yeah the only way Spanos had a chance is if he won a bunch of games and landed a bunch of recruits in the meantime. It was always extremely, extremely unlikely. And now it's a 0% chance.

Reaction Score
Closing doors on any and all possibilities at this point is just stupid. Cast a very large net that includes the current staff.

You are probably the type of person who didn't like KC Keeler because of his look in sunglasses or Don Brown because of the Western Michigan games.
His teams are getting their brains beaten in. He's a defensive coordinator and Army was up 42-0 at half.

It's also not like he was hired post COVID. He's been here some time. Stop with this loser, small-time thinking. It isn't a radical idea not to hire a guy who hasn't been successful at his job. I get that you're being optimistic. We're fans. But we have to set hte bar a little higher than "Well, maybe we'll beat a really sh•tty team or two this year."

We're getting embarrassed every week. We need to wash off the stink with a new coach.

Reaction Score
yeah the only way Spanos had a chance is if he won a bunch of games and landed a bunch of recruits in the meantime. It was always extremely, extremely unlikely. And now it's a 0% chance.
Not if the admin looks at some our our fans who are okay with scoring 21 points against Army's 4th string after they're already down 42-0 at half. People finding a victory in the second half are the enemy of this program.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I don’t mean to argue with you and I agree with you to a point. All I meant was if he turns this disaster around, even slightly, he deserves at least a look at the job. That isn’t a mandate. I’m all for finding the best candidate.

Reaction Score
Not if the admin looks at some our our fans who are okay with scoring 21 points against Army's 4th string after they're already down 42-0 at half. People finding a victory in the second half are the enemy of this program.
90% of the problem with the fanbase is that the vast majority of fans left are delusional. it's hard to support the program otherwise unless you just really, really love football or have other ties. I'm giving it one more coach and if that's as big of a disaster as the last decade then I know I'm done spending any time, energy, or money on it.

Reaction Score
For all of you who are touting Kevin Kelley: Let's see how his season goes. So far this season, his team has played 2 games against much lower level competition. It's akin to an FBS school playing against D-II or D-III. We all can better guage him as a coach after his FCS team plays some games against FCS tier schools.
Follow-up:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
for spanos to get even a consideration he’d have to win the remaining games on the schedule with the exception of the 2 unwinable games. Otherwise he should be told thank you for your service.

You can’t be in consideration for HC when your primary responsibility is DC and you don’t prepare your team for the option. That’s an immediate disqualification. Even if our player were slower, they should have been in the right spots..LBs should have taken the proper angles… etc etc.

Reaction Score
I've got it, really though... Charles Huff... HC at Marshall making 755k. First season, yes. But of f to a solid start. Was Saquon Barkley's RB coach at Penn St with Moorhead. Went to Miss St with him where he was Associate Head Coach/ RB coach and run game coordinator. Then on to Alabama as Associate Head Coach/RB.

38 years young. Exciting coach with winning experience at top programs. From Maryland.

Huff's next job will be in The P5. If you are targeting a former Penn State Assistant Coach I'd consider Tyler Bowen. Currently The TE Coach in Jacksonville under Urban Meyer. Young bright guy, offensive play calling experience, excellent recruiter. He's a future HC somewhere without a doubt.

Reaction Score
Huff's next job will be in The P5. If you are targeting a former Penn State Assistant Coach I'd consider Tyler Bowen. Currently The TE Coach in Jacksonville under Urban Meyer. Young bright guy, offensive play calling experience, excellent recruiter. He's a future HC somewhere without a doubt.

Totally agree about Bowen.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
After yesterday’s game I’ve changed my mind.

No successful OC/DC will come here looking to prove themselves. It’s an absolute dumpster fire, you can go to any school in the country and have a higher chance at winning. Why the hell would Morehead or Lashlee or anyone relevant come to UConn? Even a 5 year $20/mil contract isn’t worth destroying your resume.

You need to hire someone that needs desperately a rebound. Coaches with good careers will laugh at us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom