Who's your list for next HC? | Page 55 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
the dude is 60. He either wants one last chance at a bigger program or is happy at his forever place. moving up a league isn't going to change that. it's also why I'm not sure if he'd come here. Do you want your last coaching gig to be at UConn?

That is a little older than ideal. But could still get some years out of him. Anybody younger with similar history?

Reaction Score
That is a little older than ideal. But could still get some years out of him. Anybody younger with similar history?

I’ve been looking at some successful D3 coaches. Trouble is, many are so young that they have only been to 1 or 2 places.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Chesney has a carpenter type vibe to him.

Look at what his prior schools looked like before he got there

Brought salve Regina back from the dead

He made assumption an over 500 team his first year after the prior 2 were losing seasons (3-7, 4-6, 6-5 the 3 seasons prior to him getting there)

It might be a touch early for him, he might not get the top assistants. He might be able to get a fun oc at a lower level though.

But the guy knows the art of the turnaround.

Reaction Score

He made assumption an over 500 team his first year after the prior 2 were losing seasons (3-7, 4-6, 6-5 the 3 seasons prior to him getting there)

It might be a touch early for him, he might not get the top assistants. He might be able to get a fun oc at a lower level though.

I don't think it's too early for Chesney, he's 44 with 12 years of head coaching experience. Success at 3 stops as you mentioned. Great resume!

Calhoun was 1 month away from 44 when he started at UCONN.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
So Chip Kelly is going to be available. My brain says no but a sliver of me thinks he can turn it around. He's from new england and still has friends in New Hampshire.
Chips got another year at UCLA before they can him, he started season good with high expectations but it’s leveled off lately losing to some winnable teams, love the guy though

Reaction Score
My concern about Chesney is that Holy Cross is the highest level of coaching that he has experienced as both a HC and assistant. He coached at several D-III schools, and D-II school and then Holy Cross. A guy like Cignetti was an assistant at Temple, Pitt, NC State and Alabama. He has seen how FBS systems operate. Same is true of Moorhead, Harasymiak, and to a lesser extent Lewis (a year at Syracuse). Being part of the coaching, recruiting, and operations of a FBS school is a different level of coordination and delegation and I would like to see somebody who has been exposed to how an FBS football team operates.

Reaction Score
My brain says yes.
Idk man. He hates recruiting. Hates it. UCLA was pulling top 10 classes before he got there. He's been in the 30s. That's a huge drop off. Maybe he realizes that he needs to do a better job of it if he doesn't want his HC career ended early, but I figured that would have happened at UCLA.

He has so many red flags. The ceiling with him is obviously enormous and he's won in the north east before but if I'm Dave idk if I can hitch my wagon to him.

I bet he'd take the job though.

Reaction Score
Idk man. He hates recruiting. Hates it. UCLA was pulling top 10 classes before he got there. He's been in the 30s. That's a huge drop off. Maybe he realizes that he needs to do a better job of it if he doesn't want his HC career ended early, but I figured that would have happened at UCLA.

He has so many red flags. The ceiling with him is obviously enormous and he's won in the north east before but if I'm Dave idk if I can hitch my wagon to him.

I bet he'd take the job though.

He also might be too loyal to his defensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
My concern about Chesney is that Holy Cross is the highest level of coaching that he has experienced as both a HC and assistant. He coached at several D-III schools, and D-II school and then Holy Cross. A guy like Cignetti was an assistant at Temple, Pitt, NC State and Alabama. He has seen how FBS systems operate. Same is true of Moorhead, Harasymiak, and to a lesser extent Lewis (a year at Syracuse). Being part of the coaching, recruiting, and operations of a FBS school is a different level of coordination and delegation and I would like to see somebody who has been exposed to how an FBS football team operates.

Point taken. To me that is less of a concern than someone who has never been a head coach at any level. The perfect candidate will be hard to get here. I bet Chesney would learn quickly. It's not like he is Gerry Faust coaching in high school.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Point taken. To me that is less of a concern than someone who has never been a head coach at any level. The perfect candidate will be hard to get here. I bet Chesney would learn quickly. It's not like he is Gerry Faust coaching in high school.

Totally fair

This would be where having a strong d1 asst pool would help.

Reaction Score

hell no....I'm not on board with Chesney.. Somebody else please....

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I don't think it's too early for Chesney, he's 44 with 12 years of head coaching experience. Success at 3 stops as you mentioned. Great resume!

Calhoun was 1 month away from 44 when he started at UCONN.
He would be great, my only concern is recruiting..

Reaction Score
D3 is such a weird place when you look at successful head coaches and their staff. Lots (not all) have been in position for 10+ years. Or have been in the program for that long.

Here are some names though...
Jeff Thorne @ North Central
Duke Greco @ Delaware valley
Geoff Dart @ Mount Union
Nate Milne @ Muhlenberg

Reaction Score
Ya, hard pass from me. Only former UConn guy I want is Moorhead.
I would be really dissapointed. Im ok with Golden, he has some history in northeast FBS and is respected greatly by high school coaches,

Reaction Score
They stumbled upon this thread on Google… we have lotsa options in these 55 pages!
Next thing we know, whoever the coordinators we're back then will magically be candidates. Even if they're long since retired.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Can someone give me a good reason why we seem to be fascinated with looking at people for this job that nobody else in college football would hire as a head coach?

What the hell are we doing here?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
A guy like Cignetti was an assistant at Temple, Pitt, NC State and Alabama. He has seen how FBS systems operate. Same is true of Moorhead, Harasymiak, and to a lesser extent Lewis (a year at Syracuse). Being part of the coaching, recruiting, and operations of a FBS school is a different level of coordination and delegation and I would like to see somebody who has been exposed to how an FBS football team operates.
I like your thoughts on this. I wouldn't eliminate an FCS guy with no FBS experience, but in ranking the possible candidates it would certainly add points in the candidates favor. Proven success as a Head Coach is a must, preferably at multiple schools. Everything after that is part of the resume.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom