Who's your list for next HC? | Page 56 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score

Not a big fan of this, BUT, have to admit, he checks a few boxes... not the sexy name (like Moorhead), but, even though he's been away from college football since 2015, he's been around football... at the NFL level for a bit.. His experience is undeniable... He's at a decent age (52)...

Again, not the sexy pic, but it makes sense... He's truly a football guy (comes from that background too.. Heck, maybe he's learned a thing or too from his past failures...just sayin)

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of this, BUT, have to admit, he checks a few boxes... not the sexy name (like Moorhead), but, even though he's been away from college football since 2015, he's been around football... at the NFL level for a bit.. His experience is undeniable... He's at a decent age (52)...

Again, not the sexy pic, but it makes sense... He's truly a football guy (comes from that background too.. Heck, maybe he's learned a thing or too from his past failures...just sayin)
I think this part in his Bengals' coaching bio ( The Official Site of the Cincinnati Bengals ) is what stands out:

"... Golden's first head coaching assignment came at Temple, where he sparked one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history. Golden led the Owls to winning records in each of his last two seasons, after the school had achieved just two total winning seasons over its previous 26 years. His 2009 Temple squad finished 9-4 and tied for the MAC East Division title (7-1 record), earning a spot in the EagleBank Bowl, which was Temple's first bowl game since 1979 and only the third in the program's 112 years of existence. The team's nine wins in 2009 were also the second most in school history (program started in 1894)...."

Reaction Score
Golden turned around a terrible Temple. I'd be ok with him coming here. It would be a 3-4 stop for him which I think the school needs to relegate itself to. We are going to be a stepping stone job and should hire accordingly. Cincinnati has knocked it out of the park on every hire except Tuberville. Look to their model and we will see the same success.

Reaction Score
Golden turned around a terrible Temple. I'd be ok with him coming here. It would be a 3-4 stop for him which I think the school needs to relegate itself to. We are going to be a stepping stone job and should hire accordingly. Cincinnati has knocked it out of the park on every hire except Tuberville. Look to their model and we will see the same success.
excellent point

Reaction Score
Just go to Hartford and ask Jeff if he wants the job. Dude is 96-19 since 2006.

Either that or find a coach with a link to Mount Union. Three successful coaches currently at the FBS level in Campbell, Candle, and Grinch (OU OC). And several other football alums coaching at the D3 and D2 levels. Larry Kehres not only built a powerhouse program, but also a future coaches program.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
excellent point
Not so sure about being a stepping stone.. He'll be 53..The salary will afford him a nice life in Connecticut, just be decent and their will be no pressure..

Reaction Score
11 years ago. That is a lifetime in football. We need new ideas.
yeah, 11 years ago, but the guy's coaching LBer's in the NFL... been coaching in the NFL since he left college football.. He's still learning... that's what that tells me...

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
This may be his agent trying to facilitate a dc job in NFL

Reaction Score
If considering Golden, UConn should also look at Mike London. He bombed out at UVA like Golden did at Miami, but was successful at Richmond before UVA, and has since turned things around at William & Mary. Guys go the the NFL for a reason and my concern with Golden is that the college recruiting/coaching gig is not his preference at this point. It is not like he took a break for a year or two from the college game. He has been in the NFL for 6 years now, which is the same amount of time Pasqualoni was coaching in the NFL before UConn called. I would rather stick with a guy like London who has stayed connected to the college recruiting game. Yes, London is 61 which is pushing the top of desired age, but Golden absence from the college game for 6 years concerns me more than London's age.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Between da genyus and these barely warmed over retreads there is a lot of sentiment against us having any sort of success. Fudge the haters, AD Dave.

Reaction Score
If considering Golden, UConn should also look at Mike London. He bombed out at UVA like Golden did at Miami, but was successful at Richmond before UVA, and has since turned things around at William & Mary. Guys go the the NFL for a reason and my concern with Golden is that the college recruiting/coaching gig is not his preference at this point. It is not like he took a break for a year or two from the college game. He has been in the NFL for 6 years now, which is the same amount of time Pasqualoni was coaching in the NFL before UConn called. I would rather stick with a guy like London who has stayed connected to the college recruiting game. Yes, London is 61 which is pushing the top of desired age, but Golden absence from the college game for 6 years concerns me more than London's age.

I agree. Golden has been away from the college game too long for my liking. Holtz on the other hand has 6 bowl victories in the last 8 years.

Golden has a lot more more in common with Edsall than Holtz does. Both fired form their last college job, both have defensive backgrounds and both coming from the NFL.

Heck Golden has a lot in common with PP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good point.. didn't think of the 6 years away thing that way...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When Golden got the Temple job in 2006 he hired George Deleone to be his offensive coordinator. In 2007 Deleone was also made the offensive line coach at Temple.

# automatic disqualification. Sorry, not sorry.
Without question that disqualifies him.

There should be a very brief questionnaire that all prospective head coaches would need to complete:

You need to urinate so badly that it is causing considerable pain. Directly in front of you is GDL, who is on fire. Do you:

A) urinate in his direction, possibly diminishing the fire.

B) walk as far away as possible, enduring even more pain and risking damage to your kidneys to ensure that you don't impact the fire.

Anyone who answers A is out of the running.

Reaction Score
Chips got another year at UCLA before they can him, he started season good with high expectations but it’s leveled off lately losing to some winnable teams, love the guy though
With zero winning records in 3 prior UCLA seasons, Kelly's likely jettisoned if his 5-4 Bruins lose to bad Colorado (2-6), blah Cal (3-5), and particularly SC (4-4) once AGAIN. 6-6 with an L to the Trojans? 6-6 beating SC, another year? Time will tell

Reaction Score
Just go to Hartford and ask Jeff if he wants the job. Dude is 96-19 since 2006.

Either that or find a coach with a link to Mount Union. Three successful coaches currently at the FBS level in Campbell, Candle, and Grinch (OU OC). And several other football alums coaching at the D3 and D2 levels. Larry Kehres not only built a powerhouse program, but also a future coaches program.

I checked out Mount Union’s coach last night. He’s only worked in two places. Very young.

Same with John’s Hopkins

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom