Who's your list for next HC? | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Golden isn’t sexy but we could do much worse. I’d prefer an offensive minded HC.

Reaction Score
I agree. Golden has been away from the college game too long for my liking. Holtz on the other hand has 6 bowl victories in the last 8 years.

Golden has a lot more more in common with Edsall than Holtz does. Both fired form their last college job, both have defensive backgrounds and both coming from the NFL.

Heck Golden has a lot in common with PP.

Golden didn’t exactly bomb out. He went 32-25 at Miami. But I’m more interested in what he did at Temple.

Reaction Score
I checked out Mount Union’s coach last night. He’s only worked in two places. Very young.

Same with John’s Hopkins
I'd definitely prefer Alex Grinch if we're talking about Mount Union. Or Jason Candle. He needs a change of scenery before he becomes stagnant and old hat. But Mount Union or rather Larry Kehres, seems to be able to breed coaches.

Nick Sirianni went to Mount Union. His brother Mike coaches Washington and Jefferson and he went to Mount Union. Iowa States OC Tom Manning (who despite no HC experience, I would hire) went to Mount Union.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
We need either a coach who exudes offense or someone who is willing to let someone take the reigns and be as creative as they want. To make this place a destination for prospects we have to sell them on a vision that this team is going to be and the make it happen. Defense first is not that vision!

Reaction Score

Cignetti's track record on "turning losers to winners"

IUP

IUP had a 4–10 conference record prior to Cignetti's arrival in 2011. In his first year as head coach, the team won 6 of its last 7 games, by an average of 28 points per game, to finish 7–3. In 2012, The Crimson Hawks won the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference and advanced to the NCAA Regional Finals, finishing 12–2. Cignetti’s 2013 team finished 9–2 and he led IUP to the NCAAplayoffs in both 2015 and 2016. His 2016 team finished 10–2. Cignetti finished 53–17 at IUP with three NCAA playoff appearances and two conference championships. On December 31, 2016, he accepted the head coaching position at Elon University.

Elon

The Elon team had had a 4–20 conference record and suffered through six straight losing seasons prior to Cignetti's arrival, but in his first season the squad won eight games in a row after an opening season loss to MAC Champion Toledo. The Phoenix were ranked as high as 6th nationally, played James Madison for the conference championship and were selected for the NCAA Playoffs for the first time since 2009. Cignetti was named CAA coach of the year and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year. In 2018, Cignetti led the Phoenix to a 27–24 win over James Madison, ending JMU's 22-game CAA Football winning streak and then FCS-best 19-game home winning streak. The win marked Elon's first over a top-five FCS opponent.[2] The Phoenix earned back to back NCAA playoff appearances for the first time in program history.

James Madison

Curt Cignetti was named Head Football Coach at James Madison on December 14, 2018. In his first season, Cignetti led the Dukes to a seven game improvement over 2018, finishing 14–2. The Dukes won the CAA Conference with an 8–0 record and advanced to the 2020 FCS National Championship.
Great summary!

Entz, OTOH, stepped into a defending national championship program, and has only been a head coach for 3 years. Cignetti is used to competing with the ACC for recruits; many on the JMU roster are from the mid-Atlantic and South. Most of the guys on the North Dakota State roster are from the upper Midwest.

Benedict should just pack the $2 million and fly down to Harrisonburg immediately, before someone else swoops in.

Reaction Score
One tweet and the fuse is lit…

Sounds like Golden is out as he is being mentioned as a future DC in the NFL. If Helton goes to Georgia Southern, I think that bodes well for us as maybe a larger name will be willing to take a chance. The money is there, we just need someone to take a chance on us. And like I said, expect them to be here for 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Great summary!

Entz, OTOH, stepped into a defending national championship program, and has only been a head coach for 3 years. Cignetti is used to competing with the ACC for recruits; many on the JMU roster are from the mid-Atlantic and South. Most of the guys on the North Dakota State roster are from the upper Midwest.

Benedict should just pack the $2 million and fly down to Harrisonburg immediately, before someone else swoops in.
Not to mention, Cignetti has been a recruiting coordinator; among many others, he recruited Russell Wilson, Mark Ingram Jr., and Dont’a Hightower. He also coached Philip Rivers, and he’s worked under Johnny Majors and, immediately before becoming a head coach, Nick Saban.

Reaction Score
yeah, 11 years ago, but the guy's coaching LBer's in the NFL... been coaching in the NFL since he left college football.. He's still learning... that's what that tells me...

I guess I'm cool with it, Golden isn’t the best name out there, but he recruited well at Temple and had two good winning seasons.. although 11yrs ago. Idk

Reaction Score
Guys, I tell yah.. I thought bye week # 2 would be borrrrring... But with all the speculation going on, makes for a fun week off from the team playing... 4 weeks away from finding out who's gonna run our ship going fwd...

Reaction Score
Why wait 4 weeks. Let’s hire a coach before Dec.1st
I fully expect an announcement before the final home game. It gives the future head coach time to assess talent on the roster, among the oral commits, & who to target in time for early signing day.

Reaction Score
I'd definitely prefer Alex Grinch if we're talking about Mount Union. Or Jason Candle. He needs a change of scenery before he becomes stagnant and old hat. But Mount Union or rather Larry Kehres, seems to be able to breed coaches.

Nick Sirianni went to Mount Union. His brother Mike coaches Washington and Jefferson and he went to Mount Union. Iowa States OC Tom Manning (who despite no HC experience, I would hire) went to Mount Union.

Tom Manning would be a huge get for us. when I started researching D3 last night Mount Union was the first place I looked. They are always up there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I fully expect an announcement before the final home game. It gives the future head coach time to assess talent on the roster, among the oral commits, & who to target in time for early signing day.

I said I think it would be awesome to put out a press release as team goes on field for second half against Houston and then an announce the HC as the Houston game ends and give the new HC the mic at the Rent when the clock hits 00:00.

Reaction Score
I said I think it would be awesome to put out a press release as team goes on field for second half against Houston and then an announce the HC as the Houston game ends and give the new HC the mic at the Rent when the clock hits 00:00.
That would be cool but I would feel bad for Coach Spanos.

Reaction Score
Great summary!

I like cignetti, but I’m sure that is not happening. Entz stepping into a defending national championship program is not a negative. For one, he knows what a championship program looks like, plus he’s doing a great job with continuing to win the THREE years he’s been coaching there which isn’t an easy task. At first I was all for cignetti and still am, but he may not want to leave JMU do to his age and success there and aren’t they moving up to fbs?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That would be cool but I would feel bad for Coach Spanos.

Yes,but if you tell him ahead of time, you can do it right. Give Spanos a PA announcer send off thanking him for taking over team mid season and taking care of players. Let him walk off head held high.
Then get the momentum going for the future and bring on the next head coach.

Reaction Score
Yes,but if you tell him ahead of time, you can do it right. Give Spanos a PA announcer send off thanking him for taking over team mid season and taking care of players. Let him walk off head held high.
Okay that sounds good. Right way to do it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But will the mic work?
This is UConn.............................................................. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Let me say I enjoy D3 football a lot. But I’d stay away from D3coaches. Might be very good coaches for sure, but it is a whole different animal. Within the same conference you can have schools who take it seriously as say Trinity does, and those who take it much Less so. There are schools in the NESCAC, for example, who want The football team to reflect the general student body and others like Trinity, who aggressively recruit guys who meet but rarely exceed NESCAC admission standards. It may change over time, see recent Wesleyan performance and how it changed when the coach’s wife becomes an admissions officer.But it’s there. Some recruit kids who get lots of financial aid. Others don’t. Some don’t let players uses sports as a justification for scheduling semesters abroad in the Spring rather than fall so lose a few Jrs. Every September. There are schools who have gone 10-15 years without beating others. It would be one thing if they were in different leagues, but they aren’t. And lots of D3 leagues are like that. Different world entirely. So I’d vote no on a d3 only guy.

Reaction Score
That would be awkward since almost no one will still be there. I might be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom