Who's the problem ??????? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's the problem ???????

Reaction Score
I understand. I have been on this board since 1995 as well as other boards. As Nan noted in another thread shes been on my case to use paragraph, spelling, proof reading before I post and punctuation. She applauded my now that Im starting to use paragraphs and Ive done better with my spelling now that I have spell check. LOL Thats just me. Im always in a rush to finish and to get my thoughts down before I forget and then just post. In the old days I never proof read my posts but that has changed too. I will work on it. My apologies for making your readin difficult and thanks for taking the time.

LOL! Hey, you are doing a great job, Tony. No need to apologize. We all family here.

Reaction Score
To all those criticizing Geno’s ”system”, particularly offensively it seems to me he does not teach “plays” or “set offenses” that must be run robotically for precisely the reasons mentioned. He used to, and I assume still does, teaches basketball and basketball theory - options to be used dependent on how the defense is reacting. He teaches his players to THINK, and I feel free to add, has been DARN successful at it !!!
There is nothing wrong with Geno's offense, Uconn players get drafted highly by the WNBA, and unless injured usually play well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I understand. I have been on this board since 1995 as well as other boards. As Nan noted in another thread shes been on my case to use paragraph, spelling, proof reading before I post and punctuation. She applauded my now that Im starting to use paragraphs and Ive done better with my spelling now that I have spell check. LOL Thats just me. Im always in a rush to finish and to get my thoughts down before I forget and then just post. In the old days I never proof read my posts but that has changed too. I will work on it. My apologies for making your readin difficult and thanks for taking the time.
Hi Tony. I can only speak for myself. I’ve been reading and enjoying your posts since Jan 2014. I’ve always been concerned about the content of those posts, not any grammatical deficiencies they may contain. Please continue writing your posts in the style and manner you’re comfortable with. We’ll get the gist of those comments. We always have. I like you just as you are. Please don’t change a thing. ;) You’re a boneyard treasure and one of the most read and respected posts here. Thanks.

Reaction Score
The Huskies have not been successful in running the half court offense this year.If I was an opposing coach I would pack my players inside the foul line and force them to shoot threes.

PvP

Reaction Score
The problem why UConn isnt looking like UConn teams of the past is not anybodys fault.

The problems with this years team is a direct result of not having enough healthy guards. Guards run the offense and control the team as well as the game and tempo. Tack on that UConn has lost our NPY and having to start two players Caroline and Dorka who are learning Genos system as starters and not as subs. As starters they have no one to turn to when they miss a play or make a mistake. As subs they have 4 other players with experience to run the team and they can play without any pressure on them. If they screw up Geno yanks them and the coaches explain to them why they were yanked and explain what they should have done. Now with all the injuries, the team has to live with those mistakes and play through those mistakes. Dont forget either UConn is playing without their point guards that run the show and are now depending on Evina to run the point which is not her natural position. All the above is a direct result of injuries and Covid.

We now have a short bench which also does not have enough experience playing within Genos system. Sometimes they look lost on the floor because of that. Until it becomes reflexive where they dont have to think about it, they may be a liability to the team in the game. By starting players who dont know Genos system and have to learn it on the go. well that aint easy as we are witnessing, sometimes players are looking lost because they arent where theyre suppose to be or they just dont see plays developing until its to late. Not being able to execute within the system, or having to think about where to be, or what play is suppose to run run, while playing with 3 seniors who do, hurts team chemistry, confidence and continuity. That all breeds lack of confidence and lack of confidence breeds hesitation to react and to run plays ala flow of the offense and defense. UConn has many times in the past always started the season with a good nucleus of players who could play within Genos system. New players would learn the system by coming in off the bench for a few minutes. In past seasons Geno would recruit kids to come in and come off the bench to play when they learned in practice what was expected of them. Geno wins because he gets players that are coachable and if theyre not coachable they see less minutes. These kids are coachable which is a good thing. FWIW our nucleus next season will be Dorka, AAliyah, Caroline, Paige, Nika, Azzi, Griff and Amari. Piath when shes learns.

UConn has an unbelievable roster of talent and some of that talent is young and needs to be developed and once developed they will play with confidence knowing what to do. All this talk about Geno has to change. Geno has adapted to game changes or else his teams wouldnt be ranked in the top 4 every year and every year be thinking of winning a NC not just making the NCAAs or just making the Final 4. His records are proof. Geno attracts top players while other coaches have to recruit recruit recruit and other coaches know that Geno has the upper hand in most cases when recruiting because of what he can offer and he can offer as based on his record of being on TV, being in the NCAAs and being in the Final 4. Please stop talking about Geno needs to change. Right now Geno does not have the horses, he has the talent and much of that talent has to get healthy and the others have to learn his system or else it wont run properly. You take Paige Nika Azzi and Griff out of the lineup and those are four positions you have to fill with players who dont know the system well enough and thats where we are right now and why we're not what many of us are used to seeing and frustrated about.

Fans are talking about the seniors not steppin up this season with all the injuries. Well Geno is playing Caroline and Dorka who were not expected to start right away. They were suppose to come off the bench and be worked into the lineup. With the injuries they were thrown in to the lineup and had to learn Genos system on the run. Usually Geno would work them into the lineup without any pressure as his nucleus of players knew the system and would run it. Now we see Caroline and Dorka playing better which will take some of the pressure off our seniors and allow our seniors to play more efficiently. Opponents left Dorka and Caroline alone for the most part daring them to do something. That most likely wont happen as much now as both Caroline and Dorka have proved they can play within Genos system.

Genos system may need to be tweated each year but it is a proven system that works. This year is an odd year with KEY players out with injuries and Covid. Some other teams are not suffering with Key injuries like UConn has. For example how bout you take Boston and 2 starting guards out of the lineup for SC. How good would they look? How bout taking the top player and 2 starters off LVille or NC State or any other team. The so called problems at UConn arent problems you can blame on anybody.. The problem is KEY injuries to Key players and lack of experienced players knowing and running Genos system who are replacing them By lack of experience I'm talking about lack of experience in Genos system not lack of experience playing BB.

I have said this many times. When Azzi and Nika get back and up to speed UConn is gonna be very tuff to beat and when Paige gets back....well UConn may not loose a game for the rest of the season. UConn has way to many really good outside shooters, and Paige will be very difficult to contain. Couple that with our height that is now showing they can rebound and Caroline and Dorka both look like they are almost up to speed which will make defenses have to play us one on one.

Watching other games and I hear that Stanford is hurting because of lack of a good point guard and the same with SC and LVille doesnt have really good offense so their defense creates offense and what announcers are saying about what other teams lack. Well when healthy we have it all. We have shooters who can shoot and create and we have ball handlers and most other top teams cant compete with that. So yeah I will continue to believe we will win it all when healthy and up so to speed and if because no other team can put up the numbers we can when were healthy
Let's call a spade a spade. The "experienced players" have been the one's who have looked lost while the two new players among the rest of the team have stepped forward. The experienced players, particularly CW, who one would have expected to fill the void, have looked the most lost, particularly in the 4th quarters.

I only hope that Geno has learned who he can rely on and doesn't instinctively look to the Seniors when the team is back to fully healthy. It's time to recognize that these Seniors have shown who they are and who they aren't!

I may be wrong but I would have the most confidence in a core 5 of Paige, Charmer, Dorka, Azzi and Liv.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Last three years (ex. ’21-‘22) 57-8. Yes, VERY successful except in the eyes of some jaded, entitled UConn fans.
What is an entitled, jaded UConn fan? Also, how many of those 57 wins were against the top 5 teams? One of the biggest complaints on the BY these last three seasons is UConn's struggles against the top teams. Most of those struggles were offensive. It used to be routine for UConn to score 75 points or higher, even against the elite teams. Prove me wrong unjaded, unentitled fan.

Reaction Score
What is an entitled, jaded UConn fan? Also, how many of those 57 wins were against the top 5 teams? One of the biggest complaints on the BY these last three seasons is UConn's struggles against the top teams. Most of those struggles were offensive. It used to be routine for UConn to score 75 points or higher, even against the elite teams. Prove me wrong unjaded, unentitled fan.
Easy. Name one team in America that wouldn’t swap our history, record or status in an instant. The definition of jaded and entitled fandom would be the fair weather fan who is ready to abandon ship if we don’t go 30-0 every year.

Reaction Score
Tony,
I think if we ever were to meet, I would like you!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Easy. Name one team in America that wouldn’t swap our history, record or status in an instant. The definition of jaded and entitled fandom would be the fair weather fan who is ready to abandon ship if we don’t go 30-0 every year.
One of the problems today is too many fans talk about history. Tennessee can do that and boast. What about lately. If your last sentence was true, there would be very few fans left. I have not seen any posts where a poster said they were abandoning the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let's call a spade a spade. The "experienced players" have been the one's who have looked lost while the two new players among the rest of the team have stepped forward. The experienced players, particularly CW, who one would have expected to fill the void, have looked the most lost, particularly in the 4th quarters.

I only hope that Geno has learned who he can rely on and doesn't instinctively look to the Seniors when the team is back to fully healthy. It's time to recognize that these Seniors have shown who they are and who they aren't!

I may be wrong but I would have the most confidence in a core 5 of Paige, Charmer, Dorka, Azzi and Liv.
Hmm. Charmer for Ducharme. Might catch on

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
All the fans who think Uconn is entitled to win every year, that every Uconn player should be generational or it is the is the coaches fault, every Uconn fan living in the past and judging the team, players and coaches, by once in a lifetime success absolutely and unrealistically impossible to sustain (read, championship or bust)!!!

Reaction Score
All the fans who think Uconn is entitled to win every year, that every Uconn player should be generational or it is the is the coaches fault, every Uconn fan living in the past and judging the team, players and coaches, by once in a lifetime success absolutely and unrealistically impossible to sustain (read, championship or bust)!!!
I totally agree with your comments.The standard UConn established cannot be substained.Championship or bust.There is so many talented girls on the High School level.I watched Northwestern defeat Iowa the other night there was a girl on Northwestern Veronica Burton went to HS in UConn backyard Massachusetts 25 points and 8 steals.She would start at UConn.It is only going to get harder for UCONN.Coaches like Kara Lawson and Dawn will put a fence around the south east states.Barnes out in Arizona will be a perennial power.Root hard for UCONN but realize the days of dominance cannot be substained

Reaction Score
Postie, FYI. Back in the day, the NCAA tournament was affectionately known as the UCONN Invitational. As pointed out, things have changed and those days are long gone. Still, Uconn basketball (women's) is still a joy for me personally to watch and be a fan of.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You have zero to apologize for, Tony. Ignore the posting police - literally, use the Ignore button. And you know-it-alls that get your panties in a bunch over grammar, you can use it too. It might save you some heartburn.

FWIW, I use an iPad as my PC and the stupid thing autocorrects so I may post some nonsensical comments if I don’t proofread. Keep in mind some issues you posting police might have are unintentional before you get on your high horse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the problems today is too many fans talk about history. Tennessee can do that and boast. What about lately. If your last sentence was true, there would be very few fans left. I have not seen any posts where a poster said they were abandoning the team.
You had asked me what a jaded, entitled fan was. At NO time did I say it was anywhere near a majority of the fandom. But to ME, it does seem that a TOO large segment of the Boneyard thinks Geno should be put out to pasture. As for your question of what has the team done lately, particularly against top teams, it’s ludicrous to expect them to continue unchallenged through the years. It has never happened in any sport in history. Most “dynasties“ last maybe a decade, we’e been treated to nigh onto thirty years of fantastic basketball. We should rejoice every day, not bemoan it’s inevitable, eventual demise.

Reaction Score
am happy for Olivia on the season she is having. Most people would have made her the easy target if Uconn had struggled, but she has shut the haters up and the Dorka should start over her posts have lost their internet connection. She definitely has answered the bell this season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well said, Plebe... we each can remember our own Mrs. McRae. Fortunately, she doesn't appear to be on the Boneyard.
Well, actually, in view of one person's love affair with the thumbs-down button, she may be alive and well ... :eek:

Mrs. McRae was an outstanding teacher with exemplary command over her classroom and craft — and most importantly of all, she truly cared — but she certainly had her "hobgoblins" (tip of hat of Theodore Bernstein's classic on the archetypal "Miss Thistlebottom").

Fan forums, IMHO, occupy a fluid middle ground between informal and formal language. In short, "come as you are" and "[everyone] be yourself". I'm reminded of Bob Ross's signature adage: "We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents" :)

Reaction Score
Bob Ross was “won’t” to say, indescribably appropriate!! Love(d) Bob Ross and your intentional (or not) original post!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bob Ross was “won’t” to say, indescribably appropriate!! Love(d) Bob Ross and your intentional (or not) post
:) Autocorrect misfire (gotta love that), though I wish with all my heart I'd intended it. Instead, it was promptly edited by yours truly, because Mrs. McRae would've had none of that.

Apparently spellcheck software, in its infinite wisdom, isn't wont to admit that "wont" is a perfectly lovely adjective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom