Who would want to play for Kim Mulkey ? ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who would want to play for Kim Mulkey ? ESPN

Reaction Score
The article isn't great, but it does have an interesting point. Yes, players will go to a coach, even if they're controversial, because they win. However, as we've learned through hindsight (e.g. Penn State football, Ohio State wrestling, Mich State & USA gymnastics, etc.), success doesn't mean things are great or should be celebrated. I think it was a fair question to ask, but the examples they referenced are weak at best.

Yes, the Griner situation is well documented but it's also a fair point. Some players may be able to handle the fact she doesn't approve, however others may not. Her dismissive attitude towards the sexual assault claims against Baylor's football team is also fair to question because as a coach of women, you'd like to believe she would have some empathy instead of her reaction. At the same time, she felt her school wasn't getting a fair shake. She's entitled to that opinion.

The main thing that stood out to me was the word "complicated" because it's the best description of her in my opinion. That's how she is and how she will always be. You either like her or you don't.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The article isn't great, but it does have an interesting point. Yes, players will go to a coach, even if they're controversial, because they win. However, as we've learned through hindsight (e.g. Penn State football, Ohio State wrestling, Mich State & USA gymnastics, etc.), success doesn't mean things are great or should be celebrated. I think it was a fair question to ask, but the examples they referenced are weak at best.

Yes, the Griner situation is well documented but it's also a fair point. Some players may be able to handle the fact she doesn't approve, however others may not. Her dismissive attitude towards the sexual assault claims against Baylor's football team is also fair to question because as a coach of women, you'd like to believe she would have some empathy instead of her reaction. At the same time, she felt her school wasn't getting a fair shake. She's entitled to that opinion.

The main thing that stood out to me was the word "complicated" because it's the best description of her in my opinion. That's how she is and how she will always be. You either like her or you don't.
The very first WBB game I ever saw on TV was the 1982 NCAAT Championship game between Louisiana Tech and Cheyney St. Even back in those days, I remember being impressed with Mulkey, her on-court demeanor, her fire..and I liked what I saw.

As an older adult, I do get tired of her histrionics on the sideline but do admire her for her straightforward way of speaking; she says what's on her mind, not trying to put lipstick on a pig, and, IMNSHO, we need more people like that, not just in WBB, but in all aspects of our lives.

And as a coach? She is in elite company. She gets the most out of her players. I wouldn't trade Wes Moore for anyone and am so pleased with what he has been able to do at NC State...but if the coach couldn't be Wes Moore, I would want it to be Kim Mulkey. Just imagining her verbal battles with that coach in powder blue who must have been dropped on her head when she was a baby would be worth every cent of entertainment value.

Reaction Score
Just a tawdry smear piece that reads more like a social media post by a South Carolina or Tennessee fan. The bar for "sports journalism" just fell another few notches.
The bar for
The very first WBB game I ever saw on TV was the 1982 NCAAT Championship game between Louisiana Tech and Cheyney St. Even back in those days, I remember being impressed with Mulkey, her on-court demeanor, her fire..and I liked what I saw.

As an older adult, I do get tired of her histrionics on the sideline but do admire her for her straightforward way of speaking; she says what's on her mind, not trying to put lipstick on a pig, and, IMNSHO, we need more people like that, not just in WBB, but in all aspects of our lives.

And as a coach? She is in elite company. She gets the most out of her players. I wouldn't trade Wes Moore for anyone and am so pleased with what he has been able to do at NC State...but if the coach couldn't be Wes Moore, I would want it to be Kim Mulkey. Just imagining her verbal battles with that coach in powder blue who must have been dropped on her head when she was a baby would be worth every cent of entertainment value.

Reaction Score
A big reason why recruits choose Kim is that she's real. She doesn't beat around the bush or cater to the masses, she says exactly what's on her mind even if it winds up being a PR nightmare. She's brash, honest and keeps players accountable. Most importantly, she knows her stuff and is an excellent coach with results to back it up. Players don't have to agree with everything she says, but if they want to go to a winning program and develop as players, there aren't many better options than LSU. Add in the NIL landscape with players reportedly earning 7 figures and it's a no brainer why she's recruiting as well as anyone.

She also shows them who she is, but sadly these kids don’t believe it

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No daughter of mine would play for Mulkey or for Chapel Hill. If she insists I'll tell her to go live with her aunt (my sister) :p

Anyway.. Ill be happy when all of this gets cleared up.. There is only so much national coverage that wcbb receives, hate that this is taking up any of that limited coverage.
Do you have a daughter that plays basketball?

I respect the coach that Mulkey is, but my dislike of her goes back 42 years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That is, indeed, a terrible article. My favorite part is when he uses an awful quote from Nicki Minaj, but attributes it to her in a different paragraph so that anyone casually scanning would believe the words came from Kim Mulkey.
Seriously. I'm imagining this discussion in the "Andscape" newsroom:

Editor: "This is a fantastic piece, Writer-With-An-Axe-To-Grind! But since you're framing the piece around the question 'Who would want to play for her?', journalistic ethics would suggest you should seek quotes from some of the many dozens of players who have actually played for her over the past 20-plus years."

Writer: "But that would defeat the purpose of my hit piece. Why don't I just include some random quote from a Nicki Minaj song and pretend that it's relevant?"

Editor (while eating another donut): "Okay fine, whatever."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm right there with you. I still have a lot of respect for Mulkey, but I just couldn't stomach her after the "punch 'em in the nose" event.

But then I saw her soon after her daughter Makenzie lost a baby. I just couldn't bring myself to continue such strong dislike for someone going through the pain Kim was so obviously feeling. I'm still not crazy about her, but she bleeds just like anyone else, and when her heart breaks, it breaks just like anyone else's.

Yeah, I guess I'm a softie, but I yam what I yam.

Reaction Score
I'm right there with you. I still have a lot of respect for Mulkey, but I just couldn't stomach her after the "punch 'em in the nose" event.

But then I saw her soon after her daughter Makenzie lost a baby. I just couldn't bring myself to continue such strong dislike for someone going through the pain Kim was so obviously feeling. I'm still not crazy about her, but she bleeds just like anyone else, and when her heart breaks, it breaks just like anyone else's.

Yeah, I guess I'm a softie, but I yam what I yam.
Correction, you're human and empathetic. Being empathetic doesn't mean you like everything about a person. It just means you can see the other side of things.

Reaction Score
You haven't a clue! At present there are only two schools who could possibly win three NCs out of the next five years! They are LSU and So. Carolina, but the odds of that happening are out of sight. The "turmoil" as you've referred to LSU's problems won't be a concern depending on how far the teams goes in March (with or without Reese). NIL, the transfer portal, and a coach's winning record will also be big factors in recruiting.
Now how did you pick those as the only two?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The problem I see with "she wins" is that there are many more options to WCBB programs that have raised their level of play and the universities are more apt to fund the right way. The days of Mulkey, Geno, and Pat Summit and those like them being able to dominate are gone. This is a new era and the old school way that used to work....won't. I really believe the NIL puts players in a stronger position than the coaches. It's coming to those who are not willing to change. That is my opinion.....
Wow, I like how you took what is a readily apparent hit piece against Mulkey as an opportunity to smear Auriemma by association.

Reaction Score
Pretty tacky article to be honest. Coach Mulkey said it best a few years ago about there being "a perception out there about me that everybody has that's so not real. But I'm OK with that because these kids that play for me, the coaches that coach for me, my family that knows me (knows)" That speaks volumes. Agree or disagree with Mulkey, love her or dislike her, there is something admirable about a woman being unbothered by the criticism and narratives others have written for her. Coach Mulkey is always going to keep it 100 with people.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There's an old saying, Every Knock Is A Boost. So I wouldn't look too badly upon this coverage hurting WCBB. And, I was just teasing you regarding your daughter.

I was amazed last week when the Reese/Mulkey saga was featured on a segment on CBS Sports Radio last week. A National Sports talk Show that is 99.9% about men's sports.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was amazed last week when the Reese/Mulkey saga was featured on a segment on CBS Sports Radio last week. A National Sports talk Show that is 99.9% about men's sports.
I know it got mentioned on Pardon The Interruption, might've been on Around The Horn as well. Daily sports talk shows on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Isn't Andscape one of ESPN's various divisions/brands of journalism? Like ESPNW?

I didn't realize it was a rebrand of the Undefeated.

I guess it's ESPN in the same way Grantland was ESPN, which is to say a separate editorial shop with a common owner who cross- promoted.

I didn't care for the article but much of what it presented are things that make me not care much for Mulkey so I guess it was a point of view.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize it was a rebrand of the Undefeated.

I guess it's ESPN in the same way Grantland was ESPN, which is to say a separate editorial shop with a common owner who cross- promoted.

I didn't care for the article but much of what it presented are things that make me not care much for Mulkey so I guess it was a point of view.
It wasn't written so that you would like Mulkey! Totally the opposite.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want my daughter to play for her.
Nor I. She does win but it takes a certain personality to want to play for her. Her biggest attraction now is LSU's nil pool, her history, willingness to schedule weak non conference, and her cut throat attitude towards opponents and any of her own players she's not pleased with. There are many coaches I respect more and not for their wardrobes.

Reaction Score
Just a tawdry smear piece that reads more like a social media post by a South Carolina or Tennessee fan. The bar for "sports journalism" just fell another few notches.
Totally agree. I think a post like that could be written about any top notch coach in any sport.

Reaction Score
Pretty tacky article to be honest. Coach Mulkey said it best a few years ago about there being "a perception out there about me that everybody has that's so not real. But I'm OK with that because these kids that play for me, the coaches that coach for me, my family that knows me (knows)" That speaks volumes. Agree or disagree with Mulkey, love her or dislike her, there is something admirable about a woman being unbothered by the criticism and narratives others have written for her. Coach Mulkey is always going to keep it 100 with people.
Not a Mulkey fan, but the article was a nothing burger with ketchup.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Totally agree. I think a post like that could be written about any top notch coach in any sport.
Uhm, no. What are they going to say about Dawn vis-a-vis her players? They all love her. Some have questioned Tara's substitution patterns or playing time choices, but I've never heard ANYTHING like this about Tara. Or Scott Reuck. Or Cori Close. Or Geno. Nor have (or would) any of them double down and defend their university in the face of a massive sexual assault coverup scandal.

Sorry, but Mulkey is not like the rest, and there's a reason why this narrative dogs her in a way it doesn't anyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom