Who would want to play for Kim Mulkey ? ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who would want to play for Kim Mulkey ? ESPN

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So let me chime in here. Above all else, Kim Mulkey is a fierce competitor that will do just about anything to win. The situation with Reese being suspended for 4 games against a tray of cupcakes, and then being eligible tonight for the game against 9th ranked VA Tech brought to mind another Mulkey decision a few years back.

In the 2021 Elite 8 game, with Baylor holding a double digit lead over UConn, Didi Richards went out with an obviously bad injury to her hamstring. Led by Paige, UConn went on a 19-0 run to retake the lead. During that run, Mulkey was frequently shown on camera screaming at Baylor’s trainer to get Richards taped up and back in the game.

Richards was subbed back in the game, dragging her leg around the court for several minutes before Mulkey realized she wasn’t very effective and mercifully took her out. The potential to Richards of incurring a more serious injury was clear. I was shocked that Mulkey would put a player’s health and safety at risk, regardless of the situation.

The comparison between Bobby Knight and Mulkey is apt IMO. Knight and Mulkey are both winners, and for many fans, that’s all that really matters.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The comparison between Bobby Knight and Mulkey is apt IMO. Knight and Mulkey are both winners, and for many fans, that’s all that really matters.
AFAIK Mulkey has only been known to toss jackets. She really needs to step up her game and move to throwing furniture around if she wants to be compared to Knight. Not nearly as adversarial with the media either. I'll never understand how Bobby got as much of a pass as he did for a pattern of absolutely terrible behavior. "Yeah, but he wins" isn't a good enough explanation for me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AFAIK Mulkey has only been known to toss jackets. She really needs to step up her game and move to throwing furniture around if she wants to be compared to Knight. Not nearly as adversarial with the media either. I'll never understand how Bobby got as much of a pass as he did for a pattern of absolutely terrible behavior. "Yeah, but he wins" isn't a good enough explanation for me.
Mulkey can be pretty darn adversarial with the media when she doesn’t like a question, as we’ve seen repeatedly over the past few weeks. But as far as coaches behaving badly, unfortunately we live in a society where a whole lot gets overlooked so long as a coach puts W’s on the board.

Reaction Score
Read through these posts and the ESPN article.

I wasn't a fan of Kim's at all for many years. She won and I knew she was a heck of a coach but she never struck me as someone who I'd ever want to work for or be with in meetings. However, when she won the 2019 title I sensed there was something about her that softened a little and I perceived it was the pain of losing a grandchild and the joy of having one come along. She seemed appreciative and more reflective on the success she just had. Her move to LSU was probably the best for both she and Baylor and suddenly she's a champion again, and last spring I sensed she was glowing in a way after winning that showed she appreciated the moment in an even different fashion.

I think the media painted her more harshly over Griner and Reese than was necessary. Her Griner remarks were poorly worded yet not surprising given her demeanor and disposition. The deal with Reese was largely a media creation. Year ago Gail G. at Duke suspended Lindsay Harding, the starting PG, an entire season for some reason and I don't recall their being that much outcry even after she wouldn't really say what happened. McGraw suspended McBride for the 2011 ND run to the NC game and never gave a public reason to my knowledge. Reese just happened to be the MOP for the winning team and is a social media darling with NIL deals and a strong following. Whatever the reason, there isn't any explanation Kim owes the world. I also felt the press basically forced her into a corner over the Griner situation because, for some reason, she was supposed to have an opinion even after she refused to give one. Her refusal clearly meant she wanted Griner to stay in prison and never come home (sarcasm but that's what was surmised).

None of my explanation means people should like her for being her but rather this is who she is and every big time coach, Geno included, has their faults. Would I want my daughter to play for her? I don't have one and the answer is I don't know but I've not given it any thought until last night and this morning.

Basketball, with the portal and NIL, is becoming a yearly contract deal where there are almost a roster of free agents who will largely turn over at season's end. Recruiting as we knew it is gone forever so I wouldn't worry about her ability to attract recruits as they will come if they want to be part of what she's building and if they don't they will go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I don’t like her over the top attitude- often playing the victim and/or just ultra defensive- but her track record on the court speaks for itself, and she gets elite players to play hard and win at the highest level wherever she goes.

I think her biggest asset is translating her energy, focus and intensity to her players performance. Due to her persona, I suspect her players know what they are getting into, but sign with her because they believe she’ll bring out the best from them on the court and that they’ll win at the highest levels. It’s hard to argue that she doesn’t.

Reaction Score
I don’t like her over the top attitude- often playing the victim and/or just ultra defensive- but her track record on the court speaks for itself, and she gets elite players to play hard and win at the highest level wherever she goes.

I think her biggest asset is translating her energy, focus and intensity to her players performance. Due to her persona, I suspect her players know what they are getting into, but sign with her because they believe she’ll bring out the best from them on the court and that they’ll win at the highest levels. It’s hard to argue that she doesn’t.
I think she recruits better than she coaches/motivates. Having to bench Reese to get her going is a failure on Mulkey's part. She asserts it all stays in the locker room and then publicly sets her out? That's just the opposite of keeping issues within the team.

I've seen lots of coaches talking loudly to players and sometimes the player transfers but I do not recall a suspension (even though she won't call it that) from a top tier coach.

I have 3 daughters and I would have fought tooth and nail to keep them away from Mulkey based on her coaching and her response to the Baylor sexual assaults. That is likely why I really can't stand her.

Reaction Score
After catching up, my main question is who has Kim Mulkey developed? To be frank, I also think calling her “real” when she’s misspoken on several issues like sexual assault and COVID is strange. Wins are great and often allow folks to have longer of a proverbial leash. However, it’s naive to think her privilege in other aspects doesn’t provide her with a certain level of protection.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fans are big hypocrites when it comes to applying standards to coaches. Once a coach gets a certain national image, justified or not, the just get heaped upon the rest of their careers. Personally I believe each coach has their own style along with the positives and negatives tha come with it. Their is room for coaches with all sorts of systems and styles but it seems that some people have major issues and if the do not exist create them with coaches that do not fit their own opinion of how they should run a program.

As the title of this tread suggests, those who do not want to play for a coach do not have guns held to their heads. With the transfer policy as it is now, it is easy for players to transfer. Fans need to keep their personal issues with a coach separate from their jobs as coaches.

Reaction Score
The problem I see with "she wins" is that there are many more options to WCBB programs that have raised their level of play and the universities are more apt to fund the right way. The days of Mulkey, Geno, and Pat Summit and those like them being able to dominate are gone. This is a new era and the old school way that used to work....won't. I really believe the NIL puts players in a stronger position than the coaches. It's coming to those who are not willing to change. That is my opinion.....
I’m no Mulkey fan, but she is the reigning national champion. so it may not be working for Geno anymore , but unfortunately, it is still working for Kim. I’m burned by her nasty exit from BU.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
After catching up, my main question is who has Kim Mulkey developed?

Brittney Griner improved leaps and bounds while at Baylor. She was raw as a freshman offensively and turned into a powerhouse on both ends by her junior (and senior year).

Lauren Cox also improved leaps and bounds over her career after a slow start where she looked nothing like the #1 recruit.

Odyssey Sims also improved greatly while at Baylor, both as a PG and as a scorer.

Others include Nalyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, Kalani Brown, Alexis Morris, Kristy Wallace, Niya Johnson, and Sophia Young. If people are looking to discredit Kim as a coach, player development isn't the area to do it.

Reaction Score
Brittney Griner improved leaps and bounds while at Baylor. She was raw as a freshman offensively and turned into a powerhouse on both ends by her junior (and senior year).

Lauren Cox also improved leaps and bounds over her career after a slow start where she looked nothing like the #1 recruit.

Odyssey Sims also improved greatly while at Baylor, both as a PG and as a scorer.

Others include Nalyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, Kalani Brown, Alexis Morris, Kristy Wallace, Niya Johnson, and Sophia Young. If people are looking to discredit Kim as a coach, player development isn't the area to do it.
I would add Richardson and Carrington (albeit it was one season) to that list.

Reaction Score
... To be frank, I also think calling her “real” when she’s misspoken on several issues like sexual assault and COVID is strange. Wins are great and often allow folks to have longer of a proverbial leash. However, it’s naive to think her privilege in other aspects doesn’t provide her with a certain level of protection.
Kim Mulkey is a college basketball coach, and a very good one! However, her opinions on issues that don't deal with basketball, should be considered as valuable and insightful as yours or mine. Additionally, I would assume that she is wrong about issues not dealing with basketball about as often as most people on this site (for example).

Reaction Score

Griner was also #1 recruit too. Kim gets criticism for her most of her star players not being WNBA level ready and underachievers in the WNBA.

sun

Reaction Score
Griner was also #1 recruit too. Kim gets criticism for her most of her star players not being WNBA level ready and underachievers in the WNBA.
Her job is to win WCBB games, & the NCAA & WNBA don't even play on the same BB court.
IMO the criticism shows that she's able to get the most out of the caliber of players that she's able to recruit.
If & when they get to the WNBA then it's a whole different ball game, & they either sink or swim on their own.

Reaction Score
Her job is to win WCBB games, & the NCAA & WNBA don't even play on the same BB court.
IMO the criticism shows that she's able to get the most out of the caliber of players that she's able to recruit.
If & when they get to the WNBA then it's a whole different ball game, & they either sink or swim on their own.

Have to disagree with this. The coaches should be preparing them for the next level whether it’s overseas or the W or even life itself. I heard a few coaches say UConn kids are always W ready.

sun

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with this. The coaches should be preparing them for the next level whether it’s overseas or the W or even life itself. I heard a few coaches say UConn kids are always W ready.
Maybe so but at what expense?
So many UConn players seem to get run into the ground with so much practice & playing time that they need a year off for surgery before they can even begin to play in the WNBA.
If needing sugery is preparing for the WNBA, then UConn seems to be the best place to go.
UConn should change its name to MASH.

Reaction Score
So many UConn players seem to get run into the ground with so much practice & playing time that they need a year off for surgery before they can even begin to play in the WNBA.
If needing sugery is preparing for the WNBA, then UConn seems to be the best place to go.

Like is said… we are going to disagree

sun

Reaction Score
Like is said… we are going to disagree
I believe that Kim also gives her end of the bench players more playing time which is also part of post-high school player development.
Exactly why should Kim be concerned about preparing players for the WNBA instead of her own games?
That can cost her own players the opportunity to get to play during blowouts.
It also may be attributed in part to the level of recruits that she's been able to get in the past.
Although she's gotten some better recruits lately, how many are being made to be WNBA ready can change just as quickly as the weather.

Reaction Score
Besides Lou. which player had surgery before playing in the W ? Im drawing a blank

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So maybe this is just as much to her credit, as she's able to get great results out of players who are not WNBA-level star caliber.

I question whether it's more becoming for a college coach to have players who never become all-Americans in college and then are immediate impact players in the W.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Griner was the top recruit, but regardless, Kim helped transform her into the most dominant player women's college basketball has ever seen.

Like most coaches, Kim's had some success stories and others who've underachieved. Griner/Sims/Nalyssa Smith/Sophia Young among others have carved out really nice careers in the pros. Lesser heralded players like Carrington, Egbo, and Wallace are lasting in the pros too which is HARD to do. The only major pro bust she's produced is Lauren Cox (and debatably Kalani Brown), but she has a solid list of success stories as well.

Reaction Score
Because Kim isn't a good coach and only out talents people for wins. There is no structure in her style of play or individual development. Kalani Brown had to get outside coaching help to reach the W, same thing with Kristy Wallace.

Smith and Egbo are succeeding in the WNBA only because of Nikki Collens.

Reaction Score
I feel like this thread has run its course. At this point, no one is going to change anyone's minds...
I second this motion. Let's lock this thread...

We're all different people with varying goals. To some prospective recruits Mulkey is the right fit, and for others she isn't. #EndConversation

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would add Richardson and Carrington (albeit it was one season) to that list.
Carrington's junior year at Stanford was just as good as her one season with Baylor. She had an up and down career, but I can't honestly see that she improved or developed more with Mulkey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom