Who would want to play for Kim Mulkey ? ESPN | The Boneyard

Who would want to play for Kim Mulkey ? ESPN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow what a scathing article, some of it even in her own words. Bottom line, the writer answers his own question - why would anyone want to play for her? She wins.

What’s lost in the victories, however, is the damage done to young people. Aside from how she treated Griner, Mulkey also recklessly defended Baylor, her former school, in the midst of allegations of rampant sexual assault.

“If somebody’s around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” she said in 2017. Her comments later were even more insensitive: “I work here every day. I’m in the know. And I’m tired of hearing it. The problems that we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America. Period. Move on. Find another story to write
.”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just a tawdry smear piece that reads more like a social media post by a South Carolina or Tennessee fan. The bar for "sports journalism" just fell another few notches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She wins! As for the rest of it, so much is just pure BS!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of Mulkey but I don't understand the purpose of this ESPN article. Her days at Baylor and her relationship with Griner have been been well documented before. And seeing that nobody apparently knows what the current situation is between Reese and Mulkey, this is nothing but ESPN clickbait (and I did click on it while perusing the ESPN app earlier today :eek:). It disgusted me then.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Fail Just For Laughs GIF

This article:

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Wow what a scathing article, some of it even in her own words. Bottom line, the writer answers his own question - why would anyone want to play for her? She wins.

What’s lost in the victories, however, is the damage done to young people. Aside from how she treated Griner, Mulkey also recklessly defended Baylor, her former school, in the midst of allegations of rampant sexual assault.

“If somebody’s around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” she said in 2017. Her comments later were even more insensitive: “I work here every day. I’m in the know. And I’m tired of hearing it. The problems that we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America. Period. Move on. Find another story to write
.”
The problem I see with "she wins" is that there are many more options to WCBB programs that have raised their level of play and the universities are more apt to fund the right way. The days of Mulkey, Geno, and Pat Summit and those like them being able to dominate are gone. This is a new era and the old school way that used to work....won't. I really believe the NIL puts players in a stronger position than the coaches. It's coming to those who are not willing to change. That is my opinion.....

Reaction Score
The problem I see with "she wins" is that there are many more options to WCBB programs that have raised their level of play and the universities are more apt to fund the right way. The days of Mulkey, Geno, and Pat Summit and those like them being able to dominate are gone. This is a new era and the old school way that used to work....won't. I really believe the NIL puts players in a stronger position than the coaches. It's coming to those who are not willing to change. That is my opinion.....
Your recall seems suspect. Do you remember who it was that won last year's National Championship?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A big reason why recruits choose Kim is that she's real. She doesn't beat around the bush or cater to the masses, she says exactly what's on her mind even if it winds up being a PR nightmare. She's brash, honest and keeps players accountable. Most importantly, she knows her stuff and is an excellent coach with results to back it up. Players don't have to agree with everything she says, but if they want to go to a winning program and develop as players, there aren't many better options than LSU. Add in the NIL landscape with players reportedly earning 7 figures and it's a no brainer why she's recruiting as well as anyone.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Your recall seems suspect. Do you remember who it was that won last year's National Championship?
That was a one off.....if she does it say 3 out of the next 5 then your point may be valid.....as of now it isn't. The turmoil will make many players back off from LSU. It happened in this recruiting cycle. It will only get worse.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
A big reason why recruits choose Kim is that she's real. She doesn't beat around the bush or cater to the masses, she says exactly what's on her mind even if it winds up being a PR nightmare. She's brash, honest and keeps players accountable. Most importantly, she knows her stuff and is an excellent coach with results to back it up. Players don't have to agree with everything she says, but if they want to go to a winning program and develop as players, there aren't many better options than LSU. Add in the NIL landscape with players reportedly earning 7 figures and it's a no brainer why she's recruiting as well as anyone.
Wes Moore at NC St....and many others disagree with your "not many options" There are more options now than ever. Geez....she didn't land a player in this cycle that mattered. Northwestern is ranked higher at No. 25. She may rebound but her attitude won't play well going forward. The NIL has changed everything along with the amount of quality programs to choose from.

Reaction Score
That was a one off.....if she does it say 3 out of the next 5 then your point may be valid.....as of now it isn't. The turmoil will make many players back off from LSU. It happened in this recruiting cycle. It will only get worse.
You haven't a clue! At present there are only two schools who could possibly win three NCs out of the next five years! They are LSU and So. Carolina, but the odds of that happening are out of sight. The "turmoil" as you've referred to LSU's problems won't be a concern depending on how far the teams goes in March (with or without Reese). NIL, the transfer portal, and a coach's winning record will also be big factors in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Just because someone wrote something doesn't make them a journalist. It's like these guys with a leaf blower and mower calling themselves a landscaper. :)
So true. It also doesn't mean that everything they have written is totally accurate and many times not correct at all.

Reaction Score
I think people are getting overly dramatic and looking to make things more than what it is. Frankly once Reese leaves I personally think things tame down in BR in a good way. They just signed the #1 class last year, signed a good one prior and mulkey has success with the portal ever year. One off recruiting class isn’t gonna change my opinion. I actually think cambridge ends up at LSU. Strong is rumored to be leaning towards UNC though

Reaction Score
I'm sure recruits ask the same question regarding any coach. But I don't expect a similar piece on all the other coaches. Not sure why she was the focus versus traits you would or would not find in any coach.

Reaction Score
That is, indeed, a terrible article. My favorite part is when he uses an awful quote from Nicki Minaj, but attributes it to her in a different paragraph so that anyone casually scanning would believe the words came from Kim Mulkey.

Doubt anyone remembers it, but there was actual journalism from ESPN the Magazine about a high profile series ended because one coach resented what she believed to be coded implications of the other’s “family friendly” message to recruits and their parents.

Reaction Score
That is, indeed, a terrible article. My favorite part is when he uses an awful quote from Nicki Minaj, but attributes it to her in a different paragraph so that anyone casually scanning would believe the words came from Kim Mulkey.
That's not how I read that at all.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
But your daughter might want to. :)

No daughter of mine would play for Mulkey or for Chapel Hill. If she insists I'll tell her to go live with her aunt (my sister) :p

Anyway.. Ill be happy when all of this gets cleared up.. There is only so much national coverage that wcbb receives, hate that this is taking up any of that limited coverage.

Reaction Score
No daughter of mine would play for Mulkey or for Chapel Hill. If she insists I'll tell her to go live with her aunt (my sister) :p

Anyway.. Ill be happy when all of this gets cleared up.. There is only so much national coverage that wcbb receives, hate that this is taking up any of that limited coverage.
There's an old saying, Every Knock Is A Boost. So I wouldn't look too badly upon this coverage hurting WCBB. And, I was just teasing you regarding your daughter.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
So true. It also doesn't mean that everything they have written is totally accurate and many times not correct at all.

Well the bulk of the article deals with her own words and her own actions (Or inactions) which are indisputable so it will be hard for her to use that defense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What about her other 3 titles? Were they all one offs too?

Wes Moore at NC St....and many others disagree with your "not many options" There are more options now than ever. Geez....she didn't land a player in this cycle that mattered. Northwestern is ranked higher at No. 25. She may rebound but her attitude won't play well going forward. The NIL has changed everything along with the amount of quality programs to choose from.

Wes Moore is an excellent coach but he's never come close to reaching or sustaining the level of success that Mulkey has. Kim has won 4 championships and coached in 11 Elite 8s. Wes Moore has only coached in 1 Elite 8 game. If a player wants a realistic chance to win a title, there aren't better options than Mulkey in today's day and age aside from debatably Geno and Dawn.

And you're being naive if you think Kim's recruiting has taken a hit. She didn't need to land any players this cycle with her massive 2022 and 2023 classes. Not to mention she pulled in 2 of the best players in the portal and is a finalist for the #1 recruit. It's very normal to have a down year after 2 big recruiting years. Just look at South Carolina's lack of 2020 players and try and argue how that's affected their overall recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom