Who will be the most improved UConn player this year? | The Boneyard

Who will be the most improved UConn player this year?

Which returning player do you think will show the greatest amount of improvement this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With first Night being only a week away, I thought this would be a good time to pose this question/survey.
Please feel free to support your answer(s) with facts or opinions.

Reaction Score
The player that needs to be most improved (no pressure: ha!) is Natalie. Not that she didn't have some very good moments last year (especially considering how much time she missed). But I think we can all imagine the other players improving along a natural trajectory and thinking that they'll be "good enough." But if Natalie can take a full step upwards, look out world....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with all of the above. Hoping Saniya has a breakout season. The player who NEEDS to improve the most is Natalie. The player who I think will be the most improved is Napheesa - mainly because she played injured last year, and still was really good. Imagine how good she will be with another year of strength training AND 100% healthy. Watch out WCBB!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Napheesa. Natalie will appear to many to be "more improved", but they will be ignoring or discounting or forgetting the wretched cards she was dealt last year. Saniya will be Saniya. The Gabulous One will continue to make us blink. KLS will soar, but she was soaring before an awkward step took her down. Kia will lead this team. When Guns Dangerfield gets in sync this team is going to more than rock; they're going to roll.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Napheesa. Why? The normal sophomore leap, plus being healthy. She had some freshman moments last year, but she didn't look to be injured. Pheesa is a very hard worker, so I expect to see a player who has improved and understands the system better.

I also expect to see a new Gabby Williams. There are lots of elite athletes around, but few are at Gabby's level. Her talent and work ethic helped get her almost to the Olympics at age 15. She's different, in a good way.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
With first Night being only a week away, I thought this would be a good time to pose this question/survey.

Not possible. All votes are based solely on opinions, with a strong dose of wishful thinking. All of which is enjoyable off-season activity.

Let the games begin. Go Huskies! :)

Reaction Score
I voted for Natalie because I think she only showed glimpses of what she could do last season. So she is starting at a lower level and thus can show growth! I wanted to vote for Saniya, but I don't know if she can break through. I expect the others to improve, but they played well at the end of last year already.

Reaction Score
Gabbie is going to have a Moriah year.
This is the year she will "get it."
The others will be inspired to raise their games accordingly.
Another NC coming. Any losses this year will give Geno the ammunition necessary for keeping the dynasty alive come March.

Reaction Score

You ask the hard ones don't you!! I like the DavidNaples Tests--I can pass them. However--How I see it (ALL OPINION< NO FACTS). I expect to see EVERYONE (except the Frosh) to return better than last year. As the year progresses--I hope/expect--Natalie, Collier, Gabby (hopefully) Saniya, to exceed our expectation. The most improved player at the end of the year shall be (drum roll) Natalie Butler!!!
As the year begins for the Frosh I expect them to be very far beyond where they began at UConn.
Poor kids our expectations, because we need them, is very high.

Reaction Score
I think Napheesa. Why? The normal sophomore leap, plus being healthy. She had some freshman moments last year, but she didn't look to be injured. Pheesa is a very hard worker, so I expect to see a player who has improved and understands the system better.

I also expect to see a new Gabby Williams. There are lots of elite athletes around, but few are at Gabby's level. Her talent and work ethic helped get her almost to the Olympics at age 15. She's different, in a good way.

I have been really high on Napheesa and Crystal since I saw them last year in USA games (different ones). After Nov Crystal will show her stuff. Collier is a top talent, we've only see the tip of what she is capable of.
Gabby--indeed may, with the golden 3 gone, shine as brightly as expected.

Reaction Score
Chong will be the most improved. After putting on her "Big Girl Panties" that she found at the Shea Ralph section of Dicks Sporting Goods she will take a senior leadership role and come out with all guns blazing. Of course if they do not fit all bets are off.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If UConn is to have a shot at a NC this year Butler will have to improve. IMO last years decent numbers are deceiving since much of her stat numbers came against inferior competition. I don't think scoring will be a problem as much as defense and rebounding. My second choice would be Collier although I thought that she was really good last year.

Chong is 0-3. I don't expect much different this year.

Reaction Score
Chong will be the most improved. After putting on her "Big Girl Panties" that she found at the Shea Ralph section of Dicks Sporting Goods she will take a senior leadership role and come out with all guns blazing. Of course if they do not fit all bets are off.

I don't know if "most improved" are really the right words: Saniya has really improved her defense, and has always been offensively gifted. I think, if fully healthy this year she could be the biggest surprise to the rest of WCBB, if not to those on the Boneyard.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You ask the hard ones don't you!! I like the DavidNaples Tests--I can pass them. However--How I see it (ALL OPINION< NO FACTS). I expect to see EVERYONE (except the Frosh) to return better than last year. As the year progresses--I hope/expect--Natalie, Collier, Gabby (hopefully) Saniya, to exceed our expectation. The most improved player at the end of the year shall be (drum roll) Natalie Butler!!!
As the year begins for the Frosh I expect them to be very far beyond where they began at UConn.
Poor kids our expectations, because we need them, is very high.

Broadway, This question came to mind personally before I decided to post it, and get everyone else's opinion. Great minds really do think alike. As I write this, Napheesa Collier has 37 votes (44%). She was MY choice before I posted this. It's refreshing to see that I'm not alone in my thinking. The survey won't close until a month from now, to give everyone plenty of time to cast their vote, and state their case (opinion).

You know how long winded I can be. Brevity is not my strong suit. I'll keep it short. I saw in Collier (as a freshman) the same things I saw in Nina Davis, Diamond DeShields and Tyler Scaife when they were freshmen. I was right on all three. Collier was only able to show us a glimpse of her ability. We only got to see the tip of the ice berg so to speak. She'll be a starter this year. We'll get to see her entire "repertoire" of skills and ability. Now that she's completely healthy, Geno can take the leash off, and allow her the freedom to play her game. Collier is going to be fun to watch this year. That's not a vision, that's a promise!! ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not possible. All votes are based solely on opinions, with a strong dose of wishful thinking. All of which is enjoyable off-season activity.

Let the games begin. Go Huskies! :)

I thought about that before I posted this. I included "facts" because some may want to use last year's statistics (facts) as their basis in making their selection. Kia and Lou are the only returning starters that had a significant amount of floor time. Collier led the team in some areas last year while playing a limited number of minutes.

In theory, IF she is a starter, and plays more minutes, then an argument could be made (based on her projected numbers that she should play this year), based on those numbers, she could be the most improved (based on the huge difference in the numbers (facts), especially if her numbers blow everyone else's out of the water), if she plays at or above the level she achieved last year. Then factually, she would be deemed the most improved player.

I completely understand your position. The question/survey as I posed it is really nothing more than your opinion. I just left the door open for anyone that wanted to use stats to support their selection. This is a friendly poll. Folks can use whatever criteria they are comfortable with. All thoughts, comments and opinions are welcome, no matter how far out in left field they may be. :cool:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't know if any of you saw Gabby's high school mix tape. She has a very good handle and a three point shot. If given the opportunity I believe she will excel at guard. Maybe the coaches will allow her to play her natural position this season. Irwin, Collier, Samuelson, and Butler can provide the needed rebounding, imo.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
When Guns Dangerfield gets in sync this team is going to more than rock; they're going to roll.

Lol Guns Dangerfield I love it! Best name yet...who can we credit? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog