Who will be the most improved UConn player this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the most improved UConn player this year?

Which returning player do you think will show the greatest amount of improvement this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know if any of you saw Gabby's high school mix tape. She has a very good handle and a three point shot. If given the opportunity I believe she will excel at guard. Maybe the coaches will allow her to play her natural position this season. Irwin, Collier, Samuelson, and Butler can provide the needed rebounding, imo.

Folks forget that Gabby was recruited as a guard. What guard can't shoot 3's ? Guards start shooting 3's in 4th grade. If Gabby was recruited as a guard, she came with ALL of the skills and abilities that a Division 1 level guard is expected to have. Just because she was not allowed to hoist them up from beyond the arc, doesn't mean she can't.

Geno didn't need her to do so. He had other players that he felt were more efficient in shooting 3's, and ran plays for THEM. When Geno wants her to shot 3's, he'll give her the green light. It's also a very good bet that Gabby worked on her perimeter game over the summer, and has extended her range out beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
Broadway, This question came to mind personally before I decided to post it, and get everyone else's opinion. Great minds really do think alike. As I write this, Napheesa Collier has 37 votes (44%). She was MY choice before I posted this. It's refreshing to see that I'm not alone in my thinking. The survey won't close until a month from now, to give everyone plenty of time to cast their vote, and state their case (opinion).

You know how long winded I can be. Brevity is not my strong suit. I'll keep it short. I saw in Collier (as a freshman) the same things I saw in Nina Davis, Diamond DeShields and Tyler Scaife when they were freshmen. I was right on all three. Collier was only able to show us a glimpse of her ability. We only got to see the tip of the ice berg so to speak. She'll be a starter this year. We'll get to see her entire "repertoire" of skills and ability. Now that she's completely healthy, Geno can take the leash off, and allow her the freedom to play her game. Collier is going to be fun to watch this year. That's not a vision, that's a promise!! ;)

I just peeked again ---interesting no votes---Kia and TLaw. Why?
Is it Kia is that great a talent that she won't improve ??
Or is it something greater??

TLaw---Is it you don't care about TLaw--isn't she a fine BB player? ---a great teammate? Scored well in Clean up? She gives her best every second of practices and games! Will she get primetime playing time this year?? In my opinion--TLaw improves every year and this year , her Senior year she will improve the most. Remember is has long since been a walk-on--she is a regular member of this team now.

Reaction Score
Most Improved ? Has to be either Natalie or Saniya, as they were arguably the most disappointing last season for whatever reason you choose. The other 4 were already playing at a pretty high level. Can't wait to get started.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lol Guns Dangerfield I love it! Best name yet...who can we credit? :cool:

I thought it was obvious that should be her NickName: BTW, those arms aren't new, showed up in Sophomore HS tapes. I'd be proud to claim Guns as mine.

Reaction Score
Napheesa will be because Katie Lou improved greatly during her freshman year. Katie Lou will improve even more, but it will be difficult because she will be the focal point of the other teams' D.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Folks forget that Gabby was recruited as a guard. What guard can't shoot 3's ? Guards start shooting 3's in 4th grade. If Gabby was recruited as a guard, she came with ALL of the skills and abilities that a Division 1 level guard is expected to have. Just because she was not allowed to hoist them up from beyond the arc, doesn't mean she can't.

Geno didn't need her to do so. He had other players that he felt were more efficient in shooting 3's, and ran plays for THEM. When Geno wants her to shot 3's, he'll give her the green light. It's also a very good bet that Gabby worked on her perimeter game over the summer, and has extended her range out beyond the arc.

Gabby's vertical leap and her lightning quickness around the rim can be devastating to the in game psychie of bigs she is making look bad. If you have been around here for say 20 years or so, you know I hate having talented UConn players having to compensate for the lack of bigs (for whatever reason). However, if Geno can work a scheme this year that looks like a swarm of guards confounding the opponent, she'll be a star in that offensive scheme.

Reaction Score
With first Night being only a week away, I thought this would be a good time to pose this question/survey.
Please feel free to support your answer(s) with facts or opinions.

I'm going with Natalie, mainly because I think she has the most upside, i.e. the most room to improve. I agree with Bags that the other players will follow a more natural trajectory of (hopefully great) improvement. For me the thing that I'm looking for in Natalie is improved quickness. Rebound positioning is often a function of quickness. Last year I saw too many over the back fouls and reach in fouls which showed me she wasn't in the right position. Quickness will also help her defense immensely because when opposing players are driving to to the hoop they'll be facing a very big body who has beaten them to the spot. She'll be going up against some very quick and athletic bigs and will have to be there step for step.

So the question I keep asking myself is can quickness be improved through hard work? I think the answer is yes. I think quickness is different from jumping ability for example. As a lifetime bball player I found that I simply didn't have natural leaping ability whereas my quickness improved through getting into great shape. So this is my wish for Natalie- that through coming into the season in Stefanie Dolson-like shape that we see a more athletic, quicker player who will make major contributions on both ends of the floor.

And finally I'm looking for better hands. So with her thumb injury in the rear view mirror, I'm hoping that ability to handle the fast pass will be there.

A big year from Natalie could make all the difference this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just peeked again ---interesting no votes---Kia and TLaw. Why?
Is it Kia is that great a talent that she won't improve ??
Or is it something greater??

TLaw---Is it you don't care about TLaw--isn't she a fine BB player? ---a great teammate? Scored well in Clean up? She gives her best every second of practices and games! Will she get primetime playing time this year?? In my opinion--TLaw improves every year and this year , her Senior year she will improve the most. Remember is has long since been a walk-on--she is a regular member of this team now.

On Kia: I do love her to death, but, she came in very good and remains very good. I'd like to give her about a quarter tab of valium before the game and see how that works. I want the Kia who led Team Canada to the crushing of Team USA, and yeah I know a bunch of adults were playing a bunch of kids, yadda, yadda. Kia is a DT in waiting and I wish she would give Geno a big point guard head ache this year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This is a friendly poll. Folks can use whatever criteria they are comfortable with. All thoughts, comments and opinions are welcome, no matter how far out in left field they may be. :cool:

OK, I'll come in from left field to join in the fun. My (opinionated) guess is Napheesa. Justification:
Geno has stated that under PUNG (probable-usual-normal-general) conditions, players improve most from freshman to sophomore seasons;
Pheesa is now a sophomore;
Her playing time was limited last season, playing behind Morgan and Stewie et al.;
She may have been hampered by a nagging labrum issue; and,
She already got the most votes. (Fewer 'Yarders to argue with.;))​

Reaction Score
On Kia: I do love her to death, but, she came in very good and remains very good. I'd like to give her about a quarter tab of valium before the game and see how that works. I want the Kia who led Team Canada to the crushing of Team USA, and yeah I know a bunch of adults were playing a bunch of kids, yadda, yadda. Kia is a DT in waiting and I wish she would give Geno a big point guard head ache this year.

Agree with everything except the Yadda, yadda, ---Few saw that game other than USA Vs Canada--age unimportant, except USA young kids should have run their legs off. My complaint had nothing to do with Canada but with the USA coach OVER using Stewie to the point of exhaustion during the previous games leaving an exhausted Stewie--but that's why the game is played, you never know who shall win until the game is played.

Reaction Score
I'm going with Natalie, mainly because I think she has the most upside, i.e. the most room to improve. I agree with Bags that the other players will follow a more natural trajectory of (hopefully great) improvement. For me the thing that I'm looking for in Natalie is improved quickness. Rebound positioning is often a function of quickness. Last year I saw too many over the back fouls and reach in fouls which showed me she wasn't in the right position. Quickness will also help her defense immensely because when opposing players are driving to to the hoop they'll be facing a very big body who has beaten them to the spot. She'll be going up against some very quick and athletic bigs and will have to be there step for step.

So the question I keep asking myself is can quickness be improved through hard work? I think the answer is yes. I think quickness is different from jumping ability for example. As a lifetime bball player I found that I simply didn't have natural leaping ability whereas my quickness improved through getting into great shape. So this is my wish for Natalie- that through coming into the season in Stefanie Dolson-like shape that we see a more athletic, quicker player who will make major contributions on both ends of the floor.

And finally I'm looking for better hands. So with her thumb injury in the rear view mirror, I'm hoping that ability to handle the fast pass will be there.

A big year from Natalie could make all the difference this year.
Dougie---My personal belief along with some observations--Running the court can be improved for a solid big woman by conditioning and weight control. Jumping can be help, a tiny bit, by strength training. It was my thoughts as I watched Ms Butler last season that she had great hands. Her shooting touch was excellent, her mid range was very good, and she has long range potential.
Now the 64000 dollar question--can she improve quickness???????? Again my personal opinion is that yes a tiny bit--but nothing to the extent you suggest is needed. To a point we all blessed or damned in the bodies we live in.
The over the back fouls --were caused (IMO) by 3 factors: 1. Overzealous, trying to impress coach. 2. Poor previous coaching 3. Bad habit left over from HS and AAU where as a Big that worked well with people a foot to 18 inch shorter

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno will improve the most. If he applies himself, one of his teams might win something.
Big Bird that was a terribly low blow--you sure know how to kick a guy when he's down... IMO--if he stays at Uconn say--another 20 years he may learn..

Reaction Score
Dougie---My personal belief along with some observations--Running the court can be improved for a solid big woman by conditioning and weight control. Jumping can be help, a tiny bit, by strength training. It was my thoughts as I watched Ms Butler last season that she had great hands. Her shooting touch was excellent, her mid range was very good, and she has long range potential.
Now the 64000 dollar question--can she improve quickness???????? Again my personal opinion is that yes a tiny bit--but nothing to the extent you suggest is needed. To a point we all blessed or damned in the bodies we live in.
The over the back fouls --were caused (IMO) by 3 factors: 1. Overzealous, trying to impress coach. 2. Poor previous coaching 3. Bad habit left over from HS and AAU where as a Big that worked well with people a foot to 18 inch shorter

Well, we can probably correct #2- "Poor previous coaching".

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Big Bird that was a terribly low blow--you sure know how to kick a guy when he's down... IMO--if he stays at Uconn say--another 20 years he may learn..

Yeah, let's hope. Low blow? Guess I been exposed to too many political ads. As to Geno, there are "reverse-birthers" who claim that Geno WAS born in the USA. And the Vols fan board doesn't like him. They couldn't say that on the Internet if it wasn't true. And my opinions are facts. Basketball is a simple game. Just watch the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
When I had a player who had trouble catching the ball. I would have them workout with a football with using just their hands. No body catches and it worked pretty well. I would start with straight on catches and as they started catching the ball but felt comfortable started mixing in the post up moves with a football. After that I always saw the difference when they used a basketball. My high school coach did it for our starting center who ended up playing 4 years for Uconn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OK, I'll come in from left field to join in the fun. My (opinionated) guess is Napheesa. Justification:
Geno has stated that under PUNG (probable-usual-normal-general) conditions, players improve most from freshman to sophomore seasons;
Pheesa is now a sophomore;
Her playing time was limited last season, playing behind Morgan and Stewie et al.;
She may have been hampered by a nagging labrum issue; and,
She already got the most votes. (Fewer 'Yarders to argue with.;))​
I concur on all points, expect maybe the last one. ;)

Reaction Score
How about all of the above...................they all better improve and they all better stay healthy...........if they do I see FF............................ if they don't then it will be a long painful season...................

HGN

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that this is Gabby's year. She really does have so much raw talent and it is my prediction that she puts it all together this year. I also expect Napheesa to have a great year.
I also voted for Gabby......I think she will take a leap upward with more minutes/ game , complete health , and a potential starting spot.

Reaction Score
I also voted for Gabby.I think she will take a leap upward with more minutes/ game , complete health , and a potential starting spot.

We've been watching Gabby taking a "leap upward" for two years now. This young woman has got some serious hops.

Reaction Score
Saniya is going to surprise. This is her year!
I wish but she's had a long, long time to really show herself and though she's matured and is better, her degree improvement throughout her career has only been subtle. I think Napheesa probably has the best chance to improve because I think that based on what she showed in video's and prior to last year, she underperformed. She showed flashes of her talent but I never thought I saw the consistency of solid play that I had expected. I think KLS, after very tepid early season performances last year, eventually performed at a pretty nice level prior to her injury and I'd expect her to continue to improve and grow.

Reaction Score
I think if Butler is the most improved it will spell good things for UConn. KLS had already turned a corner by the end of the season. I was really impressed with her aggressiveness both offensively and defensively in the game she hurt her foot. If it wasn't for Stewie, MoJet, and Tuck shining so bright, I think everyone would have commented more on Katie's improvement over the season, which I thought was similar to Stewie's improvement her freshman year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom