who was the 1 recruit that got away calhoun years.. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

who was the 1 recruit that got away calhoun years..

Reaction Score
I thought Tony Scott was a Perno recruit
You might be thinking of Ken Scott. He sat on the bench in Perno's last year, I remember him getting minutes in one of final games in garbage time, going behind the back to beat someone at midcourt and soaring in for an impressive dunk.

Reaction Score
This thread has been eye opening, turns out every good basketball player since 1990 wanted to commit to UConn at some point

Reaction Score
Just a few CT boys who went away.........................

John Bagley (Warren Harding, Bridgeport): BC
Charles Smith (Warren Harding, Bridgeport): Pitt
Mike Gminski (Masuk, Monroe): Duke
John Pinone (South Catholic, Hartford): Villanova
Sylvester (Sly) Williamson (Lee, New Haven): Rhode Island
John Williamson (Wilbur Cross, New Haven): New Mexico State
Walt Luckett, Jr. (Kolbe Cathedral, Bridgeport): Ohio U.

Probably the first "big time" CT high school player that UConn landed in the Big East era was Middletown's Corny Thompson. Unfortunately, he regressed under Perno's tutelage. The first major in-state recruiting coup by Calhoun was Kolbe Cathedral's Chris Smith. That broke the pipeline of Connecticut's best emigrating elsewhere.
No Rod Foster of Mike Adams?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That didn’t happen. He never gave a verbal to UNLV.

He committed to UConn and then visited UNLV because Good begged him to - Calhoun called him while he was in LV and Butler told him not to worry.

I did forget that Dan Langhi committed to UConn in the class with Rip, etc. Backed out to go to Vandy. Wasn’t top 100, but was a really good four year player for them.
Michael LeBlanc?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Michael LeBlanc?

LeBlanc came here and then transferred to Vandy and then Houston Christian.

Langhi committed, decommitted and played four years at Vandy.

Reaction Score

LeBlanc wouldn't get PT from Calhoun because he wasn't committed to the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Austin Croshere committed before he even visited but Calhoun had Kirk King visiting the weekend and took King instead.

Reaction Score
what’s up with the brandon jennings’s thing? he knew he was going pro and told JC to stick with price?

Reaction Score
This and if he kept Anthony Harris home there was potentially a ray Allen donyell Harris camby line up and rings 1&2.
Anthony Harris going to Syracuse was such a huge mistake. He went to my High School.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You might be thinking of Ken Scott. He sat on the bench in Perno's last year, I remember him getting minutes in one of final games in garbage time, going behind the back to beat someone at midcourt and soaring in for an impressive dunk.
Nah, there was a Perno recruit that was a heavy lean until Syracuse came in late. I remember they took him to the Penn State football game. IIRC, the guy was a Top 30. I thought his name was Tony.

Reaction Score
What about Vin Baker? I would think he would choose UConn over Hartford. What was Calhoun’s effort in trying to get Vin Baker?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
LeBlanc wouldn't get PT from Calhoun because he wasn't committed to the defensive end.

Also, he was not very good.

what’s up with the brandon jennings’s thing? he knew he was going pro and told JC to stick with price?

He was the recruit that, thank God, got away. He was committed to USC and then seemed all but assured to commit to UConn…until he committed to Arizona. Our plan B was Kemba Walker and Jennings ended up playing in Italy instead.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

LeBlanc went to same HS as Jake no?

And out of the class of Jake , Rip , KFree, and Funches LeBlanc was in middle of rankings.

Al Sharpton?

Reaction Score
What about Vin Baker? I would think he would choose UConn over Hartford. What was Calhoun’s effort in trying to get Vin Baker?
Was only 6-7 as a high school Sr, hard to project another 4 inches of growth.

Reaction Score
Just a few CT boys who went away.........................

John Bagley (Warren Harding, Bridgeport): BC
Charles Smith (Warren Harding, Bridgeport): Pitt
Mike Gminski (Masuk, Monroe): Duke
John Pinone (South Catholic, Hartford): Villanova
Sylvester (Sly) Williamson (Lee, New Haven): Rhode Island
John Williamson (Wilbur Cross, New Haven): New Mexico State
Walt Luckett, Jr. (Kolbe Cathedral, Bridgeport): Ohio U.

Probably the first "big time" CT high school player that UConn landed in the Big East era was Middletown's Corny Thompson. Unfortunately, he regressed under Perno's tutelage. The first major in-state recruiting coup by Calhoun was Kolbe Cathedral's Chris Smith. That broke the pipeline of Connecticut's best emigrating elsewhere.
How about Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy?

We might have had him if we had let him twirl the baton in our marching band. Did UConn have a marching band in '67? Anyway, that's how he ended up at Niagara.

Reaction Score
I don't know if JC recruited Preston Shumpert but it would have saved a lot of heart ache if he came here.

Reaction Score
She still in HS? Perhaps to honor her father, she comes to UConn. Have heard nothing.
She died holding hands with her father (Kobe) in the helicopter mountain fog crash. Going to some sort of championship game she was going to play in. Otherwise, she would have been an incoming freshman this year and by all accounts would have worn the Huskie with so much pride.....

Reaction Score
Was only 6-7 as a high school Sr, hard to project another 4 inches of growth.
Interesting, I didn't know he had a 4 inch growth spurt in height. If the NIL and Portal rules that existed today existed back then so many schools would be trying to recruit him in the offseason.

Reaction Score
She died holding hands with her father (Kobe) in the helicopter mountain fog crash. Going to some sort of championship game she was going to play in. Otherwise, she would have been an incoming freshman this year and by all accounts would have worn the Husky with so much pride.....
I actually remember it very well. I must have been tired and drinking and actually forgot. My bad :(

Reaction Score
I don't think he even had five. Hamilton and Donyell, yes, but who else? Kemba? Charlie?
Might just be my memory is bogged down with all the posts about Timberland.
Kemba walker, Alex Oriakhi, Richard Hamilton, Donyell Marshall, Rudy Gay, Andre Drummond,Khalid El Amin, Charlie Villanueva, Taliek Brown, Stanley Robinson?, Deandre Daniel’s (not one) but only because of reclassification,
Not sure all these got the accolades, but they all were that 5 star caliber recruit we are talking about.

Reaction Score
Nah, there was a Perno recruit that was a heavy lean until Syracuse came in late. I remember they took him to the Penn State football game. IIRC, the guy was a Top 30. I thought his name was Tony.
Tony Scott its under Friendly Persuasion heading.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom