who was the 1 recruit that got away calhoun years.. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

who was the 1 recruit that got away calhoun years..

Reaction Score
Bayno was always there when we were scheduled to see Marcus and he would whisper in his mom's ear as soon as we left to spin almost anything JC said or did as an insult to Camby.

It was Spears however who arranged the hookups.
Good thing Caron reconsidered on his verbal to UNLV and Calhoun came into his living room and blew away Caron, his mom, and grandma.

Reaction Score
Donyell, Charlie, Kemba, El-Amin, Rip, Rudy, Taliek, Hazleton, Oriakhi.

Bynum but he opted for NBA. Guys like Caron, Drummond and Daniels would've been if they were eligible.

I might be missing one.
I forgot about Oriakhi, Taliek and Hazelton......how did he get picked?

Reaction Score
Living amongst all the UMass fans in Western Mass at the time was tough. Losing Camby to them and their Final Four were the worst, but all that was wiped out by the allegations of hookers being supplied to his room by an agent and the famous gold chain necklace with the large diamond encrusted number 21 on the chain that lead to the vacating of their appearance in the Final Four.

When asked by a reporter why he had not questioned Camby about the necklace (regarding size of the chain itself and the large gold #21 encrusted with diamonds), the AD at the time, Bob Marcum, famously said "we didn't know they were real diamonds".
Annoyingly we were also stripped of our sweet 16 that season.

Reaction Score
Bayno was always there when we were scheduled to see Marcus and he would whisper in his mom's ear as soon as we left to spin almost anything JC said or did as Bayno
Bayno sure hit the skids after he left Coach Cal. Wonder if he was up to similar shenanigans as a head coach?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I read about it in Calhoun's book. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not fiction.

JC was always sketchy with details like that - KG was not coming.

Reaction Score
Jay Williams wanted to come to UConn but Calhoun gave his scholarship to Tony Roberson.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Good thing Caron reconsidered on his verbal to UNLV and Calhoun came into his living room and blew away Caron, his mom, and grandma.

That didn’t happen. He never gave a verbal to UNLV.

He committed to UConn and then visited UNLV because Good begged him to - Calhoun called him while he was in LV and Butler told him not to worry.

I did forget that Dan Langhi committed to UConn in the class with Rip, etc. Backed out to go to Vandy. Wasn’t top 100, but was a really good four year player for them.

Reaction Score
Jay Williams wanted to come to UConn but Calhoun gave his scholarship to Tony Roberson.
I doubt anyone chose Tony over Jay Williams. He was top 5 recruit at least. I remember we came second to Duke.

Reaction Score
That didn’t happen. He never gave a verbal to UNLV.

He committed to UConn and then visited UNLV because Good begged him to - Calhoun called him while he was in LV and Butler told him not to worry.

I did forget that Dan Langhi committed to UConn in the class with Rip, etc. Backed out to go to Vandy. Wasn’t top 100, but was a really good four year player for them.
Not according to Caron...

Reaction Score
Tony Scott and Perry Clark were guys we thought we had a great shot to get in the early Calhoun years.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
Vontigo Cummings who played Pitt. Lanky wing player from Georgia.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone chose Tony over Jay Williams. He was top 5 recruit at least. I remember we came second to Duke.
Williams talked about this on ESPN Radio a few weeks ago. He was ready to commit. He called Calhoun who told him the scholarship went to Robertson. Williams says he talks about that call to this day when he sees Calhoun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom