Who is Charlie Creme? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who is Charlie Creme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac I think you really misunderstand the direction of a lot off this thread. A lot of people (including me) pretty much agree with your thoughts "in concept". But I think your original posting didn't express the concept that was in your head. You wrote something that was different than that concept. "Regardless of who comes and goes" is a pretty strong qualifier and has the ability to completely change someone's thoughts on the idea expressed.

I am not criticizing you for your thoughts. I wouldn't do that. I might point out that, as you expressed yourself originally, its hard to agree with you. Please reread your original posting and think about qualifier "regardless of who leaves or comes". I know that there weren't any unexpected roster changes. But that expression says that no matter who leaves or comes onto the team roster the National Champion should be #1 preseason. I know you say it won't happen, but should the top ten roster players leave the following year, should the team be preseason #1?

With no disrespect that is why I was having a such a problem agreeing with the wording and not the concept.

Again, I used Creme's Notre Dame" of who was coming in qualifier as the "comes" in my comes and goes comment:

1. Notre Dame

With Connecticut likely taking a step back, this might finally be Notre Dame's time to climb to the top of the mountain. In forward Brianna Turner and point guard Lindsay Allen, the Irish have arguably the country's two best players at those positions. Marina Mabrey and Arike Ogunbowale are versatile scorers who should be even better as sophomores with more minutes. Coach Muffet McGraw also welcomes forward Erin Boley and guard Jackie Young, two top-15 rated freshmen whose games appear perfectly suited to the Irish system.

Very seldom does a championship winning team's roster incur a major makeover, usually 1-3 players. So all of these scenarios that I'm being given about whole teams graduating, and coaches retiring is folly. Championship teams usually replace quality with quality. Not scrub for quality. That's why I said no matter who comes or goes. Just because you win it all last year does not mean you are going to do so, or be able to maintain a top 15 ranking. Honestly, when I post a comment, I don't do so hoping to get a lot of likes or positive feedback. I do so to express a thought or opinion based on a perception that another poster maybe did not know, or had not considered.

I read comments here all the time that I don't feel the need to respond to. I don't have the time or inclination to do so, no matter how far off base I think their comments may be. I'm not going to change that poster's mind, or his/her position. I also know they could give a tinker's da** about my opinion. If they are way out in left field with their thoughts/opinions, It's not my duty or obligation to try and reel them back in. There are only two people whose opinion I care about, God's and my wife. The reasons why should be obvious. I've tried to explain my reasoning as best I could. It's really not that big a deal. I don't put a lot of stock or value in Charlie Creme's work. That's my opinion and my prerogative. It's not required that anyone else agree with me. If you or anyone else like Creme's brackets and rankings, cool. But please don't feel obligated to pee in my kool-aid because I don't. for whatever those reasons maybe. That's all we're talking about here. Perception. And as I'm sure you know, perception is always relative.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Again, I used Creme's Notre Dame" of who was coming in qualifier as the "comes" in my comes and goes comment:

Again, I did not see any mention of that not being your qualifier in your original post. So I took it as your qualifier. If you use someone else's wording and don't mean it as yours, its good to say that.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Et tu Brute? I thought we were boys. When it rains, it pours. And I thought this was a safe and friendly place were folks could come a share their thoughts and opinions without fear of attack and reprisal.

C'mon now. Did I need to add a smiley? No worries. We boys. Rock on, mighty soothsayer, rock on!

Reaction Score
IMG_0005.GIF
.......Who's up next???

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme is a licensed bracketologist.

Hahahha... Excellent... And he has a degree in Bracketology from the University of Phoenix

Reaction Score
Regardless of the other issues involved in this argument, there is an overriding one for me that has not even been mentioned.
All college sports are influenced by one thing above all others. With occasional exceptions, all team rosters turn over 100% every 4 years. Of course it is year by year, not all at once, so there is a progression rather than a revolution in the make-up of each team. But that's what makes it interesting and avoids all of the greed and corruption that influences the domination of professional leagues. (I no longer have more than a passing interest in any professional sport).
So, I consider the fact that each year's team is different to at least some degree is the primary CHARM of college sports. Yes, you know who's coming back, so you can form an opinion of what is likely to be the quality and character of each new year's team, but there are almost always surprises galore, both good and bad (example A#1: UCONN!).
But given the above, the argument that last years champion should always be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise is ridiculous. Because every year's team is a NEW team, which will have to stand on it's own and apart from the previous year. And when the single season is done, the next year's team will once again be unique.

Reaction Score
I don't want my argument to sound like I'm a UConn homer. That's why I said "any team". Be it UConn or an other team. Give them their respect. If they are not a #1 team, then move them down after the season begins, and they lose games. Are you not the reigning champion until someone beats or dethrones you? Or are you the champion as long as Charlie Creme thinks you are? Forget the words, embrace the concept. You're #1 until someone beats you!!! All I'm saying is it should carry over to the beginning of the next season. It's that simple.
It sounds like you are saying then that the ranking given before the start of the season is only valid until the the first game is played. If you want to accept it on that basis, I guess it's true. But so what? It is totally meaningless.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I will just supply one example - Purdue won a natty with Stephanie White and Ukari Figgs - graduating seniors - leading the charge under coach Carolyn Peck. And they should have been ranked number one the next year as a sign of respect?

Ditto after the season Texas A&M won; and there are other cases.

That UConn this season, specifically, could have remained #1 based on "they only reload" might be argued, but it is so far from a universal rule, I don't get arguing over it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It sounds like you are saying then that the ranking given before the start of the season is only valid until the the first game is played. If you want to accept it on that basis, I guess it's true. But so what? It is totally meaningless.
And I also agree with you, FWIW.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Exactly!! Totally meaningless.

I will just supply one example - Purdue won a natty with Stephanie White and Ukari Figgs - graduating seniors - leading the charge under coach Carolyn Peck. And they should have been ranked number one the next year as a sign of respect?

Ditto after the season Texas A&M won; and there are other cases.

That UConn this season, specifically, could have remained #1 based on "they only reload" might be argued, but it is so far from a universal rule, I don't get arguing over it.

It was/is a total waste of everyone's time. Nothing was settled.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Again, I did not see any mention of that not being your qualifier in your original post. So I took it as your qualifier. If you use someone else's wording and don't mean it as yours, its good to say that.

OK.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Creme's right, Lexington is the group of death.
Don't mind our draw at all.

Carnac

Reaction Score
And so the person who started the argument is now saying it was a total waste of people's time?

I did not start the argument. I made a comment. Another poster disagreed. That's when the "argument" began. It takes two. I can't argue with myself. If the other poster does not disagree, and challenges my comments, there is no argument or debate.

I'm not suggesting by any means that my comments should not be challenged, just that I can't challenge or argue with my own comments. So again Adesmar, we disagree. Yes, to your question, all of this was a total waste of time, because absolutely nothing was settled, nothing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't want my argument to sound like I'm a UConn homer. That's why I said "any team". Be it UConn or an other team. Give them their respect. If they are not a #1 team, then move them down after the season begins, and they lose games. Are you not the reigning champion until someone beats or dethrones you? Or are you the champion as long as Charlie Creme thinks you are? Forget the words, embrace the concept. You're #1 until someone beats you!!! All I'm saying is it should carry over to the beginning of the next season. It's that simple.
I agree with this concept. Teams have to earn their rankings based on performance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I did not start the argument.
You kinda did. You made a comment; people disagreed. You appeared to get annoyed with the disagreements, although I thought they were done respectfully - and with a large dose of affection for you, Carnac. Your opinion is on record. I bet if you stop defending it in increasingly exasperated tones, the thread would die.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You kinda did. You made a comment; people disagreed. You appeared to get annoyed with the disagreements, although I thought they were done respectfully - and with a large dose of affection for you, Carnac. Your opinion is on record. I bet if you stop defending it in increasingly exasperated tones, the thread would die.

I kinda didn't - I can't debate myself. It takes two!! I'm not surprised that you decided to chine in. You did the last time I had a "healthy debate" with a poster. If I post a comment, and others choose to respond negatively, I don't have a problem with that. I fully and completely understand the dynamics of commenting and posting here. Opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one, and they're entitled to them. I'm entitled to mine. I've never posted a comment looking for sympathy or agreement. If no one had responded to my comment, there would have been no debate. I'm not suggesting that folks can't or should not respond. It's their choice to do so or not.

If I want to go out in left field and have a pity party, or a stage a protest, I can do that. That's basically what I did here. I didn't ask anyone to join me. The issue here, as I see it is that others wanted to come out where I was, and pull me back in. The problem is I'd have to agree with them first, before I came in. It appeared to me to be real important to some of them that I admit that I was wrong, see the error of my ways, and recant my comments. Yes, it almost got heated over something as simple as a preseason ranking on paper. It's very hard for me to think of anything as insignificant as this to get this worked up about. The focus quickly turned from the rankings to my position on this. That became evident almost immediately.

You suggest that if I stop defending the disagreements, they would stop. The more folks attacked my position, the more it caused me to dig in. You mentioned exasperating tones: "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard" one poster responded, and then resorted to name calling. That is a personal attack. He shifted from attacking my position to attacking me. And you want me to back off? I laughed at that response. That did not phase me at all. The fact that different posters felt compelled to line up to chime in with their dissenting opinions that I was wrong, and way out of order, only deepened my resolve.

I've been harboring resentment against Creme's preseason top 25 since it was released last April. I didn't just reach back and pull this out of my a** yesterday. We're talking WCBB here. We're not talking nuclear war, separating families, a holocaust, putting people in internment camps, or taking away people's rights, liberty or possessions. We're talking about something meaningless in the grand scheme of life, a WCBB ranking on paper, that's it.

Quite frankly, I was taken aback by how a personal observation (comment) caused such a stir. Because it is so meaningless, and I received so much vitriolic push back from others determined to get me to capitulate. It really took me by surprise. I can only try to explain my thoughts on the matter. I never attempted to try and convince others to come over to my way of thinking. I know that is NOT going to happen. As I have stated previously, I only care what God and my wife think, no one else. I'm an very easy going guy, but I will not be swayed by the opinions of others. By people I've never met, and probably never will. People that can't do anything for me or to me. These folks are nothing more than names on my computer monitor to me. Some of them I like and respect, some I don't (and have put on my ignore list).

I'm not a youngster. I don't want or need the approval of others when I post a comment here. If they want to respond with a comment voicing an opposing view, fine. But don't harp on it. I read every response to my comments, and their comments are noted. Tell me you disagree, but don't tell me I'm wrong, because YOU say I am. Now you're entering into a whole different realm. My response is well, who are YOU to tell me I'm wrong. Who died and left YOU in charge? If they don't agree, fine. But we don't have to keep going back and forth. One poster seemed intent on having the last word, and would not stop until they did. I found that humorous as well.

Finally, I'm completely done with this thread. No more responses from me, period!! I don't come here to argue or debate with others. I come here for news and information, as well as to read postings and comments by other UConn fans. I'm not an evangelist. I'm not looking to save or convert souls. I just come here for a little diversion, and to find out what's going on the the world of WCBB. That's it.

I fully expect someone will respond to these comments, feeling the need to get in the last word you might say. I won't see them. I've shared my thoughts on preseason rankings, others have responded with theirs. No opinions were changed, nothing was settled. It's time to move on. I'm much more concerned with the health, well being, and fortunes of the UConn women's basketball team, than the random thoughts of others regarding preseason rankings. Everyone please have a pleasant day. :)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I kinda didn't - I can't debate myself. It takes two!! I'm not surprised that you decided to chine in. You did the last time I had a "healthy debate" with a poster. If I post a comment, and others choose to respond negatively, I don't have a problem with that. I fully and completely understand the dynamics of commenting and posting here. Opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one, and they're entitled to them. I'm entitled to mine. I've never posted a comment looking for sympathy or agreement. If no one had responded to my comment, there would have been no debate. I'm not suggesting that folks can't or should not respond. It's their choice to do so or not.

If I want to go out in left field and have a pity party, or a stage a protest, I can do that. That's basically what I did here. I didn't ask anyone to join me. The issue here, as I see it is that others wanted to come out where I was, and pull me back in. The problem is I'd have to agree with them first, before I came in. It appeared to me to be real important to some of them that I admit that I was wrong, see the error of my ways, and recant my comments. Yes, it almost got heated over something as simple as a preseason ranking on paper. It's very hard for me to think of anything as insignificant as this to get this worked up about. The focus quickly turned from the rankings to my position on this. That became evident almost immediately.

You suggest that if I stop defending the disagreements, they would stop. The more folks attacked my position, the more it caused me to dig in. You mentioned exasperating tones: "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard" one poster responded, and then resorted to name calling. That is a personal attack. He shifted from attacking my position to attacking me. And you want me to back off? I laughed at that response. That did not phase me at all. The fact that different posters felt compelled to line up to chime in with their dissenting opinions that I was wrong, and way out of order, only deepened my resolve.

I've been harboring resentment against Creme's preseason top 25 since it was released last April. I didn't just reach back and pull this out of my a** yesterday. We're talking WCBB here. We're not talking nuclear war, separating families, a holocaust, putting people in internment camps, or taking away people's rights, liberty or possessions. We're talking about something meaningless in the grand scheme of life, a WCBB ranking on paper, that's it.

Quite frankly, I was taken aback by how a personal observation (comment) caused such a stir. Because it is so meaningless, and I received so much vitriolic push back from others determined to get me to capitulate. It really took me by surprise. I can only try to explain my thoughts on the matter. I never attempted to try and convince others to come over to my way of thinking. I know that is NOT going to happen. As I have stated previously, I only care what God and my wife think, no one else. I'm an very easy going guy, but I will not be swayed by the opinions of others. By people I've never met, and probably never will. People that can't do anything for me or to me. These folks are nothing more than names on my computer monitor to me. Some of them I like and respect, some I don't (and have put on my ignore list).

I'm not a youngster. I don't want or need the approval of others when I post a comment here. If they want to respond with a comment voicing an opposing view, fine. But don't harp on it. I read every response to my comments, and their comments are noted. Tell me you disagree, but don't tell me I'm wrong, because YOU say I am. Now you're entering into a whole different realm. My response is well, who are YOU to tell me I'm wrong. Who died and left YOU in charge? If they don't agree, fine. But we don't have to keep going back and forth. One poster seemed intent on having the last word, and would not stop until they did. I found that humorous as well.

Finally, I'm completely done with this thread. No more responses from me, period!! I don't come here to argue or debate with others. I come here for news and information, as well as to read postings and comments by other UConn fans. I'm not an evangelist. I'm not looking to save or convert souls. I just come here for a little diversion, and to find out what's going on the the world of WCBB. That's it.

I fully expect someone will respond to these comments, feeling the need to get in the last word you might say. I won't see them. I've shared my thoughts on preseason rankings, others have responded with theirs. No opinions were changed, nothing was settled. It's time to move on. I'm much more concerned with the health, well being, and fortunes of the UConn women's basketball team, than the random thoughts of others regarding preseason rankings. Everyone please have a pleasant day. :)

This thread was dead and buried.

So now you respond, reopen it and say someone will want the last word? Isn't that what you just did?

Carnac

Reaction Score
This thread was dead and buried.

So now you respond, reopen it and say someone will want the last word? Isn't that what you just did?

There he is yarders, and right on time. Adesmar, YOU were the person I had in mind when I wrote that, even though I did not call you out by name, yet there you are. You're easy. I baited you and you fell for it. You thought you'd be smart, and respond with a condescending remark. But what you really did was corroborate my assertion for all to see that some folks can't let it go. My comments were to Nan, not anyone else. If others wanted to read them, fine. They were directed to her.

You're like a little devil on my shoulder, responding to every comment I make, trying to be my anti-conscious. I put just a little bit of cheese in the trap, and you bit, hook, line and sinker. Adesmar, your actions are starting to boarder on that of a stalker. You respond to me, not the content of my post. I'd make a poor victim. I don't have to put up with that. So, I'm going to do both of us a favor. I'm no longer interested in your comments or your opinions. As of right now, you are now at the top of my IGNORE list. Write whatever you wish. I'll never see it. You'll be writing it for everyone else. I really didn't think you'd fall for a trap as easy to see as that one. You're beautiful Adesmar. With a simple click of my mouse, the boneyard just became a lot more pleasant today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom