• Jimmy Patsos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Moore

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Write in candidate

Votes: 19 11.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
That makes it a perfect spot for him, just recruit and get out the way - he won't have to worry about pulling the strings on game day. Bring us some players - please!!!! KO hasn't brought in any program identity guys that Calhoun was so good at getting every 2-3 years from Donyell, to Allen, to Rip, to Butler, to Gay, ... to Kemba, etc. Shabazz was the last one. Also Calhoun understood the value of role players, guys whose specialty was shooting, rebounding, defense, etc. Not just a bunch of guys vying with each other to be the man or to jack the next shot. We hardly saw the ball movement and cohesion of the last NC team that started Phil Nolan, Olander, and Giffey (partial stud, partial role player).

Are we really crediting Calhoun for bringing in role players like Nolan and Olander? These were acts of desperation, not a form of planning. Calhoun deserves an enormous amount of credit but I can hardly tip my hat to him for his foresight in recruiting these 2 kids, even if they helped UConn win NCs (one of them under Ollie). Facey is Noland and better if Shabazz (as a senior) is the point guard.

Reaction Score
Jake would be our best big coach if he translated his game. He was a screening, rebounding, blocking, position defender. Who outlet passed like Kevin love. In a guard system he is without a doubt the ideal type of guy. Oh yeah he brings NBA experience and tx recruiting to the table.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Please, please, please let it be someone with no connection to UConn at all. Preferably somebody who has worked with a top level coach like Izzo.

Reaction Score
KO hasn't brought in any program identity guys that Calhoun was so good at getting every 2-3 years from Donyell, to Allen, to Rip, to Butler, to Gay, ... to Kemba, etc. Shabazz was the last one.

Really? I would agree that KOs first few recruiting classes were iffy, and DH didn't pan out as that kind of "identity guy", but I think JA absolutely is. Bleeds blue, has the toughness, talent, and the swagger that is UConn identity. And AG (assuming he stays heathy) and MAL have the potential to be "identity guys" as well. And as far as role players, can't get much better than CV from what we've seen this year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why would Chillious leave the other Huskies to take the same job here? They bumped him to the #2 guy last year.

Reaction Score
Are we really crediting Calhoun for bringing in role players like Nolan and Olander? These were acts of desperation, not a form of planning. Calhoun deserves an enormous amount of credit but I can hardly tip my hat to him for his foresight in recruiting these 2 kids, even if they helped UConn win NCs (one of them under Ollie). Facey is Noland and better if Shabazz (as a senior) is the point guard.

I'm sorry to just pick two examples, do I need to go on and on with role players who fit into a system and helped make it run....Lyman Depriest, Jake Voskul, Brian Fair, Craig Austere, Jeff Adrien, Donnell Beverley, you should get the idea. Not a bunch of guys who are all me first offensive players who have no concept of ball movement. If Larrier was healthy or D-Ham was here Facey would have played a lot less. How many times this year did the team's offense consist of a 1 on 1 move to the hoop, or a jacked up 3 with someone in their face. Ollie should have been more persuasive to D-Ham about turning pro (it was a bad call and everyone knew it, it's not like he was a hardship guy). I'd like to see a Niels Giffey or Lasan Kromah type of player brought into the program. For the record I like Gilbert a lot, not sure we needed to have our top recruit this coming year be another PG with JA and Gilbert in fold - I doubt you'll often see all 3 on the floor together. And I doubt both JA and Gilbert would both leave for the NBA after next year. He'll be good though I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Really? I would agree that KOs first few recruiting classes were iffy, and DH didn't pan out as that kind of "identity guy", but I think JA absolutely is. Bleeds blue, has the toughness, talent, and the swagger that is UConn identity. And AG (assuming he stays heathy) and MAL have the potential to be "identity guys" as well. And as far as role players, can't get much better than CV from what we've seen this year.

I'm sorry to just pick two examples, do I need to go on and on with role players who fit into a system and helped make it run....Lyman Depriest, Jake Voskul, Brian Fair, Craig Austere, Jeff Adrien, Donnell Beverley, you should get the idea. Not a bunch of guys who are all me first offensive players who have no concept of ball movement. If Larrier was healthy or D-Ham was here Facey would have played a lot less. How many times this year did the team's offense consist of a 1 on 1 move to the hoop, or a jacked up 3 with someone in their face. Ollie should have been more persuasive to D-Ham about turning pro (it was a bad call and everyone knew it, it's not like he was a hardship guy). I'd like to see a Niels Giffey or Lasan Kromah type of player brought into the program. For the record I like Gilbert a lot, not sure we needed to have our top recruit this coming year be another PG with JA and Gilbert in fold - I doubt you'll often see all 3 on the floor together. And I doubt both JA and Gilbert would both leave for the NBA after next year. He'll be good though I'm sure.

Also CV for the revelation he was (and I'd have to think a 4 year guy) at times he took some of the worst shots in critical moments - can KO get a guy with a little basketball IQ? I see announcers breaking down SMU's ball movement and they seemingly always get good looks and then I watch the nonsense we call offense and it's sickening. If it wasn't for JA's and RP's individual ability we wouldn't have scored half the points we did, but imagine how good those two could have been if they played with guys capable of moving the ball to get them open looks?

Reaction Score

Also CV for the revelation he was (and I'd have to think a 4 year guy) at times he took some of the worst shots in critical moments - can KO get a guy with a little basketball IQ? I see announcers breaking down SMU's ball movement and they seemingly always get good looks and then I watch the nonsense we call offense and it's sickening. If it wasn't for JA's and RP's individual ability we wouldn't have scored half the points we did, but imagine how good those two could have been if they played with guys capable of moving the ball to get them open looks?

You think KO didn't let DHam know what his NBA prospects were after last season? You can't force a kid to stay in college, if he wants to go then he leaves. Also, don't really understand how you can complain about having a top 40 PG recruit given the fact we just saw a season where played over 90% of the season with 1, this season should have drilled in everyone's head that injuries can happen.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He would have won 10 more games with this team, injuries and all.
Yeah, OK
He had a sterling NBA record - look it up

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Did you watch SMU in the NCAA tourney this year , especially in the 2nd half?
I picked them to get into the finals vs Kansas
Then I think about what they had done in the past against some teams and I could kick myself in the arse

You sound like one of the regular KO bashers and maybe changed your name?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess when you're in Syracuse, it's any port in a storm. Oy

If that's a port, it's inhabited by pirates, terrorists, guerrillas, restless natives, and diseased prostitutes.

Reaction Score
Not a bunch of guys who are all me first offensive players who have no concept of ball movement.

Would you group VJ in with that as well? From what I saw he very much played team ball, showed some IQ, and not a bad passer. It's hard to criticize both him and CV for their ill advised shot selection early in the year, they were freshman thrown into the fire, but I think they both showed great promise as the year went on to be those kind of role player you want. None of those examples you gave were any more impactful as freshman as CV or VJ were this year.

As for Larrier, he wasn't brought on to be a role player, he was supposed to be a primary scorer. Never had time to settle in so you can't really make any conclusions about him yet.

Its really too early to say what shape the team will take over the next couple years withat respect to impact vs role players. You cant really glean much from this disjointed season, but I personally like what I see and am optimistic. All those team/player examples you gave weren't good examples until they were.

Reaction Score
Did you watch SMU in the NCAA tourney this year , especially in the 2nd half?
I picked them to get into the finals vs Kansas
Then I think about what they had done in the past against some teams and I could kick myself in the arse

You sound like one of the regular KO bashers and maybe changed your name?

Nope, just pointing out the obvious to the oblivious! In fact I went to school with KO and know him personally, but please just go back to your DVR and watch us on offense and tell me anything I said was wrong.

Reaction Score
Would you group VJ in with that as well? From what I saw he very much played team ball, showed some IQ, and not a bad passer. It's hard to criticize both him and CV for their ill advised shot selection early in the year, they were freshman thrown into the fire, but I think they both showed great promise as the year went on to be those kind of role player you want. None of those examples you gave were any more impactful as freshman as CV or VJ were this year.

As for Larrier, he wasn't brought on to be a role player, he was supposed to be a primary scorer. Never had time to settle in so you can't really make any conclusions about him yet.

Its really too early to say what shape the team will take over the next couple years withat respect to impact vs role players. You cant really glean much from this disjointed season, but I personally like what I see and am optimistic. All those team/player examples you gave weren't good examples until they were.

I like the team, VJ and CV, but let's be real VJ was brought here to be the man - he's not and CV was a last minute offer cuz KO whiffed on the others he wanted. Forget our team and my examples look at some of the good teams still playing and you might get an idea of what I'm getting at. Forget role player - how about unselfish non-point guards who are able to facilitate ball movement? Even KU and NC has some of those guys on the floor.

Reaction Score
You think KO didn't let DHam know what his NBA prospects were after last season? You can't force a kid to stay in college, if he wants to go then he leaves. Also, don't really understand how you can complain about having a top 40 PG recruit given the fact we just saw a season where played over 90% of the season with 1, this season should have drilled in everyone's head that injuries can happen.

The point is what is really needed is a stud inside even before Enoch left not another PG as good as he may be - heck I will even take a Rod Sellers, Jake Voskul, type to compliment the rest. I'm sure KO did tell him, but he obviously didn't get through to him - did he?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like the team, VJ and CV, but let's be real VJ was brought here to be the man - he's not and CV was a last minute offer cuz KO whiffed on the others he wanted. Forget our team and my examples look at some of the good teams still playing and you might get an idea of what I'm getting at. Forget role player - how about unselfish non-point guards who are able to facilitate ball movement? Even KU and NC has some of those guys on the floor.

Umm...what? Vance was a mid level 4* (top 75) who probably didn't expect to see the floor much behind Purvis and Larrier. He had a much bigger role than was planned due to injuries. His rep was as a shooter, but he showed better ball handling, passing and rebounding skills than I expected from him by the middle of the season. Next year we have three PGs on the roster. Your gripe is with style of play, not the players.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'd really like to see a more seasoned guy next to KO but Patrick Ewing would be intriguing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom