Who’s number 1 now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who’s number 1 now?

Reaction Score
"I think Stanford has more depth than Oregon though"... this is ?????
Oregon appears to be the deepest team I've ever seen take the hardwood...
a 12 premium player rotation? (difficult to sort out)
Now I would be willing to agree with the statement if it was "...Stanford has more EXPERIENCED depth than Oregon though..." or "Stanford is as deep as Oregon"
No Stanford is very deep Too! They can hang with Oregon with their 3 point shooting too. they defend better than Oregon

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"I think Stanford has more depth than Oregon though"... this is ?????
Oregon appears to be the deepest team I've ever seen take the hardwood...
a 12 premium player rotation? (difficult to sort out)
Now I would be willing to agree with the statement if it was "...Stanford has more EXPERIENCED depth than Oregon though..." or "Stanford is as deep as Oregon"

Let's be honest: how many teams actually utilize a 12 player rotation? It WILL get pared down at some point. Even 10 is a lot of players to get minutes for. 8 or 9 seems like a reasonable number, plenty of teams have used a 7 player rotation for the most part other than garbage minutes.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Its all up in the air. Nobody looks unbeatable to me and it’s really not worth ranking until more top 25 teams start playing more top 25 teams. Everybody looks like a national champion beating up on Wichita Directional Academy. When you play teams that match your ability then your flaws are exposed... as we’ve already seen with SC and others.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, I too give Stanford the nod in the Pac-12. It would be foolish not to.
Experience counts. Meshing and coordination on the floor count. Stanford is ahead of Oregon in these important factors. I was only questioning the "depth" comment... I'm not sure you can get any deeper than the Oregon roster this year and still stay within NCAA guidelines (lol)

Reaction Score
"Let's be honest: how many teams actually utilize a 12 player rotation?"
Absolutely and that is Graves problem. (He may be happy to have the problem, though, after playing in the Final Four with only 7 healthy players and no subs at 1, 2, or 3.) He is used to 8-9 as are most coaches. So 3 (+ Arielle Wilson) are going to be relegated to the bench for most of the year... and the no-wait transfer portal beckons. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Short memory? No, I don't think they would beat last year's Oregon team. Stronger inside, have you forgotten about Hebard already? This smells of a bit of hyperbole to me. Let's maybe wait til this year's Oregon team beats someone halfway decent at least. Maybe see if they can smack Stanford around 3 times like they did last year. They look like they reloaded rather than rebuilt, but the previous 3 seasons were the best in Oregon history by lightyears. Kinda hard for me to believe a relatively inexperienced group has already eclipsed them.
Prince is miles better than Hebard (Hebard will be the first to tell you). Hebard was a product for Satou and Sabrina

Reaction Score
Well as far as rankings go UConn and Stanford have not lost so I pick them 1 and 2. LVille beat Depaul who is ranked 20 something. Yeah they beat them pretty good but this season is not like other seasons. The season usually starts in November with a couple of easy games to get your team ready then a couple of more not so easy games and maybe a tuff opponent or two. So some teams arent prepared for this season yet. With that said LVille may not be as good as they looked and Depaul may not be as bad as they looked. I look at the what teams have the pieces and where their weaknesses are. SC misses leadership and a point guard. Could a point guard with leadership show up? We will see. Jeff is a very good coach and seems to have the pieces and over the next month we will see how they play. The ole saying your only as good as your last game means alot this season. UConn Stanford LVille imo right now are the top teams. They have good guard play and height that can play. All 3 have great coaching. Understand this is a different season. Many teams are not up to speed yet. The teams with the talent will rise to the top. UConn has way to much talent. UConns non starters are top 10 team. No other team can say that. So I will say UConn is number 1 until proven otherwise.
Not losing shouldnt be the main criteria for staying where you are ranked. Results, and more importantly, how you look in those results should factor heavily.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Prince is miles better than Hebard (Hebard will be the first to tell you). Hebard was a product for Satou and Sabrina

Not buying it. You're talking about a 2000+ pt scorer/1000+ rebounder who shot 65% from the floor for her career. Get back to me when Prince does that. She's more versatile and taller than Hebard, but has yet to show the deadly efficiency that Ruthy did throughout her career.

Reaction Score
Not buying it. You're talking about a 2000+ pt scorer/1000+ rebounder who shot 65% from the floor for her career. Get back to me when Prince does that. She's more versatile and taller than Hebard, but has yet to show the deadly efficiency that Ruthy did throughout her career.
Right, its more than just looking at stats. Like I said, Ruthy has admitted a number of times that Sedona is better than her.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, I too give Stanford the nod in the Pac-12. It would be foolish not to.
Experience counts. Meshing and coordination on the floor count. Stanford is ahead of Oregon in these important factors. I was only questioning the "depth" comment... I'm not sure you can get any deeper than the Oregon roster this year and still stay within NCAA guidelines (lol)

Have you watched Stanford play this year? They literally have depth equivalent to Oregon at every position. Both are looking like they will be great and have plenty of depth. Stanford's depth has more experience though at this point. They are not only moving the ball at a higher level than Oregon (I've watched all games for each team), but they are defending at a much higher level than Oregon to this point. Not to say Oregon can't or won't get there, but having seen both in all games, I would take Stanford over Oregon at this point. They both have two of the deepest teams they've ever fielded, which says a lot given Stanford's history.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Right, its more than just looking at stats. Like I said, Ruthy has admitted a number of times that Sedona is better than her.

Not gonna agree with you. Prince is all about potential right now. There's no way she's a better player currently than Hebard was last year.

Reaction Score
Not gonna agree with you. Prince is all about potential right now. There's no way she's a better player currently than Hebard was last year.
Thats fine. I am comfortable saying Paige Bueckers is better than Anna Makurat and I dont need to wait a full season to say it.

Reaction Score
Ha ha, well that's a false equivalency. Makurat is not exactly a Hebard level player thus far, is she?
Nope but sometimes when you know you know. We can disagree, one of us will be right in a few months. Or wait til the 2022 draft and WNBA.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nope but sometimes when you know you know. We can disagree, one of us will be right in a few months. Or wait til the 2022 draft and WNBA.

2 years from now you're point is moot. I'm talking about right now. I used some key words like versatile and potential, maybe you noticed.

Reaction Score
2 years from now you're point is moot. I'm talking about right now. I used some key words like versatile and potential, maybe you noticed.
Oh I think she is better than Ruthy was last year right now. I was clear about that. I am very confident in that, I am just hopeful that once you watch some more games that you will come around. And I say this as the biggest Ruthy homer around. Its okay to be objective.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oh I think she is better than Ruthy was last year right now. I was clear about that. I am very confident in that, I am just hopeful that once you watch some more games that you will come around. And I say this as the biggest Ruthy homer around. Its okay to be objective.

Okay, I won't continue. I saw most of the game against Seattle U. and I was impressed w/ Prince, haven't seen much since then. I'm glad you're so excited about her as a player.

Reaction Score
Sedona Prince has great potential. She is no where near as good as Ruthy was this time last year. Sedona isn't even the best player on UO. I would take Nyra, Boley, and Pao Pao on my team before Prince (Prince the player as of today).

Reaction Score
Have you watched Stanford play this year? They literally have depth equivalent to Oregon at every position.
Yes I watched Stanford play Cal Poly but not UNLV. Yes they are correctly favored to win the league. My only quibble was with a poster who said Stanford was DEEPER than Oregon. More experienced? Yes. Better meshed and coordinated on defense? Yes. As deep? Yes. But deeper? Not really IMO. That’s all. No biggie.

Reaction Score
Yes I watched Stanford play Cal Poly but not UNLV. Yes they are correctly favored to win the league. My only quibble was with a poster who said Stanford was DEEPER than Oregon. More experienced? Yes. Better meshed and coordinated on defense? Yes. As deep? Yes. But deeper? Not really IMO. That’s all. No biggie.
I'd agree. Equally as deep. If you look at number of players with minutes, number of players over 10 or 7 ppg, and players over 5+ rpg, they are pretty equal. Stanford tends to have one more in most categories, but in general both have 11-12 solid players who can all replace each other. But super deep and solid! Definitely think Oregon will be moving up the rankings.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this year will be different, but Tara always plays better when her team is not favored.

Reaction Score
That 120th ranked SOS is certainly telling.

Oregon at 120th SOS
Stanford at 240th SOS
Baylor at 123rd SOS
Louisville at 139th SOS
NC State at 157th SOS
USC at 29th SOS

Not sure if SOS rankings really matters right now - in the early portion of seasons, most top teams play a good portion of "cupcake" teams. Heck, even Connecticut has the 6th-ranked SOS in that ranking, and they haven't even played anyone yet, so what does it matter? I wonder if it has been updated since CT cancelled a number of games, including vs Louisville and Mississippi State. That had to administer a deep hit to their schedule strength, although they'll still play Baylor, Tennessee, and South Carolina on their non-conference schedule....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom