Whitmer officially #1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whitmer officially #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, the D will take a step back in 2013 but the O should be improved. P has done a good job filling a lot of holes on short notice over the last year plus, he may be able to do it again, and keep us playing at a high level.

Reaction Score
Would love to believe this thread... but just can't... The only QB I liked at PSU during this (PSU sanctions) debacle was Paul Jones...

according to twitter he's staying.. there goes a scenario I would've been comfortable with

Reaction Score
Would love to believe this thread... but just can't... The only QB I liked at PSU during this (PSU sanctions) debacle was Paul Jones...

Based on what? Hasn't he spent his entire PSU career academically ineligible?

Reaction Score
I think the point is that if Whitmer comes in and performs credibly, there is a possibility that he will lock up the position for the next few years. That of course assumes he is solid, and that we don't land some big time stud or one of the other guys on the roster, most likely Cochran or Nebrich doesn't make dramatic strides. Personally, I hope that Whitmer does play well enough so that UConn has its quarterback for the next 3 years. It would be nice to go into the off season knowing that the job is in solid hands for the next 2 years. It has been a long time since we have gone without a qb controversey of one sort or another. Of course, it is important that Whitmer play solidly this year so that can happen. though even if he wins the Heisman, I imagine there will be people calling for Cochran and at least one call for Nebrich based on zero evidence...

Reaction Score
Based on what? Hasn't he spent his entire PSU career academically ineligible?
Ummm yep.. He's finally eligible tho... and he's really good... I think he unseats McGloin this season.. enough PSU talk... back to U- C - O - N- N- UCONN UCONN UCONN

Reaction Score
The real reason CW was named #1 going in was to set the stage for the arrival of the as-yet-to-be-named QB transfer from PSU. Speaking on condition of anonymity, a close source says that once he was given the chance to transfer after the debacle there...he decided on UConn because he liked their colors best. Plus he'll get to put his name on the back of his jersey too.

Just trying to add a little levity to the board on this thread. Seemed like it was getting kinda stuffy, and the season hasn't even started yet. :)

Reaction Score
From my perspective, whitmer is the best qb by far. If you go by the spring game, he identifies the open target, gets the ball out of his hands quickly and he puts the ball in a position where receivers can make something happen. Fundamentally, he has better footwork, pocket presence, anticipation, and accuracy, than any of the qb's at this point. He's a guy that gonna thrive in the short to medium range passing game and the defense is not gonna be able to overplay the run with 8 or 9 guys in the box without getting burned for big plays.

It just makes sense to make sure that he gets the most reps with the first team. The best players have to play its simple. And considering the fact that Whitmer was behind J-mac and nebrich, and also was learning the playbook on the fly, he still proved himself to be the best qb by the end of the spring. This guys hungry for playing time, and don't think that coach p didn't know that he was gonna be the starting qb the minute he convinced him to transfer here.

The only issue with Whitmer, is that he will take alot of chances and he may throw alot of picks. He has that gunner mentality, and he isn't afraid to try to squeeze the ball into tight places. Last year he threw 14 picks in JC, how many ints does he throw in the be?

Reaction Score
I don't know what Pasqualoni is thinking???? Why give UMass's D four weeks to adjust? Why announce so soon? He is an amateur. Two million a year? Did Pasqualoni even send a get well card to Cochran and Stewart? What's his plan? Have Whitmer for three years? Then what? He has to learn clock management, that last timeout was ridiculous. Badminton is the next big thing- where's the marketing tie-in?? Pasq is not a big thinker, he's a 1%er. Why throw on fifth down? I saw a tweet from HFDan about some kid killing it an U4 camp, who's making sure he gets through the clearinghouse?. Why aren't we recruiting Denmark more?

There.

no mention of FHCRE in a rant???? Have we gone soft as a board???

Reaction Score
This must mean that Whitmer wasn't just the best QB during the Spring game, he must have dominated the spring practices as well. That bodes well for the season.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
This must mean that Whitmer wasn't just the best QB during the Spring game, he must have dominated the spring practices as well. That bodes well for the season.
as well as the summer workouts and all that.

I hope he's still rooming with his chief target too... I believe that helped him to have a go-to in the spring game, and will not hurt him over the season. Shakim Philips I believe...

pj

Reaction Score
I hope he's been putting in extra work with all the receivers - Griffin, McCombs, and Williams as well as the wideouts. Never hurts to have an arsenal of weapons.

Reaction Score
The only issue with Whitmer, is that he will take alot of chances and he may throw alot of picks. He has that gunner mentality, and he isn't afraid to try to squeeze the ball into tight places. Last year he threw 14 picks in JC, how many ints does he throw in the be?

That is a huge concern for me. The hope is that the coaches can get him to realize when a play is just not there.

I hope whoever is the starter week 1 gives us better play than the qbs last year. I don't care who it is.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Happy with Paqualoni naming a starter before the season. I would guess Nebrich runs the wildcat when they use it as of now.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
We should call Vegas and see who the 1st to transfer is. It's the right call he looks the smoothest out there.

Reaction Score
From my perspective, whitmer is the best qb by far. If you go by the spring game, he identifies the open target, gets the ball out of his hands quickly and he puts the ball in a position where receivers can make something happen. Fundamentally, he has better footwork, pocket presence, anticipation, and accuracy, than any of the qb's at this point. He's a guy that gonna thrive in the short to medium range passing game and the defense is not gonna be able to overplay the run with 8 or 9 guys in the box without getting burned for big plays.

It just makes sense to make sure that he gets the most reps with the first team. The best players have to play its simple. And considering the fact that Whitmer was behind J-mac and nebrich, and also was learning the playbook on the fly, he still proved himself to be the best qb by the end of the spring. This guys hungry for playing time, and don't think that coach p didn't know that he was gonna be the starting qb the minute he convinced him to transfer here.

those are exactly what I saw in the Blue-White game. for the first time in a long time, it seemed that UConn had a quarterback who could hit the guy when he was open. It was dramatic, in fact...guys who were not open whith the other quarterbacks were suddenly making plays when he came in. The gunner mentality is a little worrisome, and I think we saw a bit of that when he threw the pick in the end zone the Spring game. But the good thing was that it didn't seem to effect him. next time out he drove them down for a score in the 2 minute drill.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'll take 14 pics if 25 tds comes with it for year 1.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
i'll take 14 pics if 25 tds comes with it for year 1.

What if eight of the TD's come against UMass and Buffalo and all of the INT's come against the other teams on the schedule?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
would u 2 rather have 12 tds and 8 pics or 25 and 14?

if all of whitmers stats come in the mac games, then i bet P will deal with that issue like last year.

Reaction Score
would u 2 rather have 12 tds and 8 pics or 25 and 14?

if all of whitmers stats come in the mac games, then i bet P will deal with that issue like last year.

8 picks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't care how many interceptions he throws, as long as he throwing signficantly more TD's. If he's going to throw 15 Int's, He better have 25-30 TD passes.

A QB can't play the game, afraid to throw an Int. We've had too many years of that. Every single year in the big east, from 2005-2010 was like that.

Reaction Score
Well, sure, people can come up with absurd examples and say what about this or what about that, but the reality is that this kid threw for 25 tds last year, which is 11 more than we had last year and 15 more than we had in 2010. both years we had 9 inteceptions. If we can cut down on the inteceptions slightly and still throw 25 tds, that's a pretty reasonable tradeoff. He also threw for over 3000 yards last year. Again for comparisons, UConn threw for 2300 last year and 1965 the year before. for what its worth, the last time UConn threw for over 3000 yards in a season, Dan Orlovsky was behind center. And he had 15 incerceptions and 23 touchdown passes. Didn't hear too much complaining about that. I don't know if this kid can put up those kinds of numbers at this level, but if he can make the passing game a real threat it will be well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom