Whitmer officially #1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Whitmer officially #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Well, sure, people can come up with absurd examples and say what about this or what about that, but the reality is that this kid threw for 25 tds last year, which is 11 more than we had last year and 15 more than we had in 2010. both years we had 9 inteceptions. If we can cut down on the inteceptions slightly and still throw 25 tds, that's a pretty reasonable tradeoff. He also threw for over 3000 yards last year. Again for comparisons, UConn threw for 2300 last year and 1965 the year before. for what its worth, the last time UConn threw for over 3000 yards in a season, Dan Orlovsky was behind center. And he had 15 incerceptions and 23 touchdown passes. Didn't hear too much complaining about that. I don't know if this kid can put up those kinds of numbers at this level, but if he can make the passing game a real threat it will be well worth it.

Of course we all want the guy to be a success but let's not pretend that 14 picks at a Juco program is the same as at an FBS program. I agree wholeheartedly though on your last sentence. The threat of an actual passing game will help the team substantially. My only point in my previous posts was that statistics can be incredibly misleading. If a guy pads stats against weak competition but struggles against better teams, he still might end up with seemingly decent stats but it wouldn't really be representative of his entire performance.

pj

Reaction Score
would u 2 rather have 12 tds and 8 pics or 25 and 14?

if all of whitmers stats come in the mac games, then i bet P will deal with that issue like last year.

A pick typically costs about 2 points in the NFL (http://www.footballnation.com/content/monday-morning-waterboy-quantifying/2807/) and maybe 3 points in college ... so if you gained a TD at the cost of a pick it would be a good trade ... however, this analysis assumes you're not giving up rushing TDs to get those extra passing TDs. As long as you're maintaining a balanced attack, then clearly 25 TD/14 INT is better than 12 TD/8 INT.

Reaction Score
Of course we all want the guy to be a success but let's not pretend that 14 picks at a Juco program is the same as at an FBS program. I agree wholeheartedly though on your last sentence. The threat of an actual passing game will help the team substantially. My only point in my previous posts was that statistics can be incredibly misleading. If a guy pads stats against weak competition but struggles against better teams, he still might end up with seemingly decent stats but it wouldn't really be representative of his entire performance.
Butler was ranked #2 in JUCO last year and they did blow out some people, but that was largely because they were so good. Sent 15 guys to 1A programs after last season. They lost to the #1 ranked team in 2 ots to open the season. They are probably one of the top JUCO programs in the country. On the flip side,JUCO programs have lots of guys who are there for 1 or 2 years at most so you don't have a lot of time to develop coordination with a favorite receiver, that sort of thing. You are doing some of it on the fly.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nav(game vs)- 17-39(cp-at), 175(yards). 1(td) and 1(int). close loss in ot
fs- 16-28, 303. 2 and 1. blow out
high- 11-22, 197, 2-0. blow out
- 9-15, 179. 1 and 1. blow out
dodge- 14-20, 177. 1 and 1. blow out
garden- 20-32, 335. 3 and 1. blow out
ind- 20-25, 228. 3 and o. blow out
cof- 24-33, 379. 3 and 1. blow out
hut- 9-19, 273. 3 and 1. somewhat close game
dodge- 14-27, 361. 3 and 2. blow out
hut- 16-30, 215. 2 and 1 somewhat close game
tv- 10-26, 200. 1 and 4. close game

-he had a brutal bad last game....
-clearly the kid racks up yards

Reaction Score
let's say for example there are 18 people wearing checkered pants, 8 wearing striped shirts & 4 (including one small person) wearing socks with fabric that zigzags horizontally. what would whitmers int/td ratio be then????

Reaction Score
i don't care about passing TDs and INTs much as i'd like to see 3000 yards passing and a passing completion percentage of around 60%. TDs and INTs can be misleading. for all i know every INT was on a hail mary to end the half, in which case there's nothing wrong with them at all; but if we can get a passing percentage well over 50% and can average 250+ passing yards a game, i'll consider it an effective passing game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A pick typically costs about 2 points in the NFL (http://www.footballnation.com/content/monday-morning-waterboy-quantifying/2807/) and maybe 3 points in college ... so if you gained a TD at the cost of a pick it would be a good trade ... however, this analysis assumes you're not giving up rushing TDs to get those extra passing TDs. As long as you're maintaining a balanced attack, then clearly 25 TD/14 INT is better than 12 TD/8 INT.

Whitmer won't be the only offense for us, so he may only be passing in better situations. With a balanced attack everyone's numbers look better.

Reaction Score
Dan,
In several of those blow outs he didn't throw a pass in the 3rd and 4th quarter, which makes the numbers even better...and i read something about that final game...I guess it was just a sloppy game by both sides. Witmer's team had 6 turnovers and the other guys had 4. But he did lead them on the winning 89 yard drive in the closing minutes which included a couple of big gainers through the air.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I want a QB that keeps defenses honest. I said it earlier. The kid can throw however many INTs he wants but if he's keeping the defense honest, and they have to respect the passing game, that can only result in great things for every other aspect of our team. Provides more room for our backs because there aren't 8-9 guys in the box. Helps the O-Line because they aren't expected to only open holes for the RB. I'd also think that it'd make it easier on the O-Line because they aren't defending against 8-9 guys in the box who already know what we're going to do.

To me, the measure of a QB is how well they can keep the defense guessing. From what I hear from all you, Whitmer has the best chances of being that guy. Who cares how many picks he throws. My last hope is that if he is the starter, he needs to stay that way. None of this QB roulette that we pulled last season. It throws off the whole offense and it's consistency!

I'm absolutely ready to rock this season!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He threw one bad pass for a pick in the spring game. Big deal. I'm more worried about the receivers. I want them to hold on to the ball and not quit on their routes. They did both last year way too much.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He threw one bad pass for a pick in the spring game. Big deal. I'm more worried about the receivers. I want them to hold on to the ball and not quit on their routes. They did both last year way too much.

I would be more worried about the receivers except for one big thing in my mind; Mike Smith. Two years ago, the man was a monster. I expect that he is going to have a break out year this year. Couple that with Phillips, and hopefully with some growth in the position from Davis, Jones Jr., and Williams, and I'm much much less worried this year about the WR crew...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
let's say for example there are 18 people wearing checkered pants, 8 wearing striped shirts & 4 (including one small person) wearing socks with fabric that zigzags horizontally. what would whitmers int/td ratio be then????
Depends whether they are jumping up and down en masse.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Even peyton manning throws about 15 int a year. They say you want to keep at least a 2:1 ratio. We need to push the ball down the field so come Wagners leg doesnt fall off

Reaction Score
The key to me is having a qb who completes 62-65% of his passes and limits his mistakes. I don't care if he has 40 tis or 4, as long as the offense is effective. Deleon's offense is very good, if a qb can get the ball to receivers where they can make a play. Short to intermediate passes with a couple long passes a game. Emphasis on play action and two tight end sets.

Reaction Score
would u 2 rather have 12 tds and 8 pics or 25 and 14?

if all of whitmers stats come in the mac games, then i bet P will deal with that issue like last year.
How many games did we win with 12/8 and how many did we win with 25/14. Answer that, and I'll answer your question. ;)

Reaction Score
I would be more worried about the receivers except for one big thing in my mind; Mike Smith. Two years ago, the man was a monster. I expect that he is going to have a break out year this year.

Monster is a bit of a stretch. He was a reasonably competent possession receiver. Granted that's better than most of what we've had lately, but let's not overstate things.

Reaction Score
Monster is a bit of a stretch. He was a reasonably competent possession receiver. Granted that's better than most of what we've had lately, but let's not overstate things.

If Smith would just be more consistent, he would be an All BE caliber receiver. Dropped alot of passes in his career. But he is an imposing target and finds ways to get open on the intermediate routes. Hope he spent alot of time in front of a Jugs machine.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

You're right, Excalibur. I should have only said that he was our number 1 receiver in 2010, going for 36% more yards than our second best receiver (a person in the NFL now) and averaging 13 more yards per game than that second highest wide receiver:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

But I guess you're right; the use of the word "monster" is so controversial.

(By the way, my comments are not a slight on Kashif Moore. I loved Kash's game, and I'm happy that he's in the NFL now.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So is it OK to admit that the folks that went to the Spring game and said he was the clear No.1 were right all along?

Reaction Score
You're right, Excalibur. I should have only said that he was our number 1 receiver in 2010, going for 36% more yards than our second best receiver (a person in the NFL now) and averaging 13 more yards per game than that second highest wide receiver:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

But I guess you're right; the use of the word "monster" is so controversial.

(By the way, my comments are not a slight on Kashif Moore. I loved Kash's game, and I'm happy that he's in the NFL now.)

I loved Kashif as well, but Smith is a better, more well-rounded receiver. If Whitmer can get them the ball, we look to have options in Smith and Phillips (at least the Phillips we saw in the spring game).

Reaction Score
I loved Kashif as well, but Smith is a better, more well-rounded receiver. If Whitmer can get them the ball, we look to have options in Smith and Phillips (at least the Phillips we saw in the spring game).

You are going to have to elaborate a little more on that. Smith is definitely the better blocker, but I am curious to see why you think he is the better receiver.

Reaction Score
I would not be shocked to see Smith have an Easley like, breakout season. He's playing for an NFL contract now plus he has Whitmer throwing to him. Nick Williams and Phillips are also going to have Easley like seasons. Geremy Davis is also the new Easley. By my count we will have 4 Easley's on the same team. Tebucky is the new Kashif and Griffin is going to have a huge year. Osiecki and McCombs will also catch their fair share of passes.

We're going to be throwing a lot this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom