• 1970s

• 1980s & 1990s ("Samoyed" Husky)

• 2002 - 2013 (Championship Husky)

• 2013 (the Blue Wolf)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
By the way, is it really 2002 when we saw that logo change? I had a UConn starter jacket in 96 that I recall being the same as that 2002, with the red tongue.

I thought the 96 started that “championship era” Jonathan, but I’m asking bc that’s my view, not sure factually.

I’m 99% sure my Jonathan on my starter jacket was that logo with the red tongue.

I’m almost positive this is the same jacket I had in 1996...

A8C704EF-D96B-46C2-AD36-38A0AB913CD1.jpeg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There has been so many threads on the logo and it's the same thing every time. Some people are nostalgic about the Samoyed and others think it's a dopey looking cartoon logo while CL82 just posts pictures of the mascots and shows over and over he has no clue what a wolf looks like and what a Siberian Husky looks like.
Mmm does it look like this...

Jonathan XIII

1602016865549.png

(John you might just want to a quick google to see if there is such a thing as a white Siberian Husky.)

CL82

Reaction Score
The current logo because UConn finally figured out what a husky looks like, even if some of you are still struggling to catch up.
Quick question Fishy, what breed of dog do you think the past 12 Jonathans were, if not a husky? Just wondering.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Jonathan XIII

View attachment 59498
(John you might just want to a quick google to see if there is such a thing as a white Siberian Husky.)

But that dog looks nothing like the dog on the logo from 80's to 2013. Not the short hair. The logo is that dog doing an impression of "The Dude" Lebowski. Get it some hair extensions to match the logo...or fix the logo.

Reaction Score

Jonathan XIII

View attachment 59498
The gaslighting just never stops with you. Nobody on this board has ever said UConn didn't have White Huskies as mascots before.

CL82

Reaction Score
The gaslighting just never stops with you. Nobody on this board has ever said UConn didn't have White Huskies as mascots before.
At last. It was a long hard road to get you there John, but worth it (I guess.)

So yeah, we've always had white huskies until lastest Nike revision. It may no sense to suddenly drop 80 years of tradition of having a white husky as a mascot.

CL82

Reaction Score
The cartoon dog was not a husky.

You would have to ask the AKC what breed it was. I’m not a dog expert.
I guess, but since 1935 we have had a white husky as are mascot. If they needed to "figure out what a husky looks like" all they would have had to do is look at our mascot at any time since 1935 until we "retired" Jonathan XIII to see what they look like.

Reaction Score
But that dog looks nothing like the dog on the logo from 80's to 2013. Not the short hair. The logo is that dog doing an impression of "The Dude" Lebowski. Get it some hair extensions to match the logo...or fix the logo.
There's nothing to discuss here. CL82 started a thread about which logo people like best. He called the UConn logo a wolf when it's clearly a Siberian Husky and people pointed out the logo UConn's most associated with isn't a Husky it's a Samoyed. He then went into full gaslight mode posting pictures of our old mascots, this is what he does. Even an argument as stupid as this where he's clearly wrong he resorts to gaslighting. Everyone knows that UConn's mascot through the years was mostly White Huskies. We rebranded to a Siberian Husky logo and a Siberian Husky mascot/dog. No more Samoyed's, no more Husky mixes with different colored eyes. Our logo and mascot are the same now, a Siberian Husky with ice blue eyes.

Reaction Score
The old logo was of a Samoyed not a Husky and was an embarrassment for an institution of higher learning.
The Samoyed is a breed of of medium-sized herding dogs with thick, white, double-layer coats. Related to the spitz, they have a temperament that is lively, sociable, playful, and friendly. Interestingly, a major university mistakenly drew its Husky logo as a fluffy white Samoyed. The error, which wasn’t discovered until 2012, was criticized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) but was finally corrected when the logo was redrawn as more representative of a Husky.
57191B13-3283-4F0F-996B-E3BC0BD22DE4.jpeg

08BF0040-A284-4662-8693-B86314C054B7.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
The old logo was of a Samoyed not a Husky and was an embarrassment for an institution of higher learning.
The Samoyed is a breed of of medium-sized herding dogs with thick, white, double-layer coats. Related to the spitz, they have a temperament that is lively, sociable, playful, and friendly. Interestingly, a major university mistakenly drew its Husky logo as a fluffy white Samoyed. The error, which wasn’t discovered until 2012, was criticized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) but was finally corrected when the logo was redrawn as more representative of a Husky. View attachment 59507
View attachment 59508
Let's assume all of that is correct for a moment, none of that changes the fact UConn had an 80 year tradition of an all white dog as a mascot:

1602021146363.png

Note that Jonathan II wasn't even a Siberian Husky.

Interestingly enough, we actually have had a Samoyed mix as our mascot:

1602021348468.png

Reaction Score
Not some, all. All of the mascots since 1935 have been white huskies. That is the point. The most recent one deviates from those 80 years of tradition. John is showing surprising restraint here (well, for him at least) and I thought I wasn't going to have a chance to post the rest of the Jonathans. So thanks...

Jonathan VIII

View attachment 59465

(Oh and take a look at post #55 in this thread. I am well aware that a student artist used their dog as a model for the "Samoyed" Husky, which is why I referred to it as the "Samoyed" Husky. Regardless our mascots have been white husky breeds since 1935. The current logo is a departure from that.)
And thank god cause those old cartoony ones were embarrassing

CL82

Reaction Score
And thank god cause those old cartoony ones were embarrassing
The Championship Husky doesn't bother me because of the memories associated with it.

I think @HuskyHawk has it right when he says the middle ground is a new logo using a white dog and getting a white dog whenever Jonathan XIV is retired.

CL82

Reaction Score
There's nothing to discuss here. CL82 started a thread about which logo people like best. He called the UConn logo a wolf when it's clearly a Siberian Husky and people pointed out the logo UConn's most associated with isn't a Husky it's a Samoyed. He then went into full gaslight mode posting pictures of our old mascots, this is what he does. Even an argument as stupid as this where he's clearly wrong he resorts to gaslighting. Everyone knows that UConn's mascot through the years was mostly White Huskies. We rebranded to a Siberian Husky logo and a Siberian Husky mascot/dog. No more Samoyed's, no more Husky mixes with different colored eyes. Our logo and mascot are the same now, a Siberian Husky with ice blue eyes.
You don't actually know what gaslighting means do you? [chuckle]

Anyway, I am glad that you are finally in agreement that we have had an all white husky until the Nike rebranding. You and I agree to disagree whether or not abandoning 80 years of tradition of an all white dog was a good decision. (It wasn't.)

Reaction Score
The Samoyed is a breed of of medium-sized herding dogs with thick, white, double-layer coats. Related to the spitz, they have a temperament that is lively, sociable, playful, and friendly. Interestingly, a major university mistakenly drew its Husky logo as a fluffy white Samoyed. The error, which wasn’t discovered until 2012, was criticized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) but was finally corrected when the logo was redrawn as more representative of a Husky. View attachment 59507
View attachment 59508
This is a thread about the logo for the UConn Huskies. UConn finally has the logo of an actual Husky and CL82 has whined about it for years.

Reaction Score
You don't actually know what gaslighting means do you? [chuckle]

Anyway, I am glad that you are finally in agreement that we have had an all white husky until the Nike rebranding. You and I agree to disagree whether or not abandoning 80 years of tradition of an all white dog was a good decision. (It wasn't.)
This should be good, for an encore CL82 will gaslight the meaning of gaslighting.

CL82

Reaction Score
This should be good, for an encore CL82 will gaslight the meaning of gaslighting.
Ah, I can see that you don't. Just google it and try to use it correctly next time.

(By the way Gaslight is an excellent movie. I highly recommend it.)

CL82

Reaction Score
This is a thread about the logo for the UConn Huskies. UConn finally has the logo of an actual Husky and CL82 has whined about it for years.
Oh John, we were making such progress. Are you going back to you contention that the all white huskies we have had as mascots since 1935, weren't actually huskies? I am just at as loss as to why this so hard emotionally for you to acknowledge. Go ahead and try. I have faith in you! You can do it!

Reaction Score
Oh John, we were making such progress. Are you going back to you contention that the all white huskies we have had as mascots since 1935, weren't actually huskies? I am just at as loss as to why this so hard emotionally for you to acknowledge. Go ahead and try. I have faith in you! You can do it!
Ah, I can see that you don't. Just google it and try to use it correctly next time.

(By the way Gaslight is an excellent movie. I highly recommend it.)
CL82 creates a thread to troll himself for 5 pages, keep doing you.

Reaction Score
I don’t think CL82 is arguing that the old 80-2012 mascot is a husky and he’s not saying we shouldn’t have a new mascot. He’s just saying the new mascot should be white. Make it an all white husky. Am I missing something here?

I tend to agree. There are several other schools with husky mascots and what set UConn apart is that we are synonymous with the white husky. When the general public thinks of UConn they think white husky. I was fine with them changing the logo, it should just be white. People have posted a version of our new mascot where it’s all white and it’s way better. They screwed up our branding IMO. White huskies exist. It doesn’t need to be a Samoyed.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
The real story here is that 3 people voted for "Musket Husky".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom