Where the heck is Big Red? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where the heck is Big Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what? there were several times the crowd was looking for red and instead it was some lame, low chanted u-c-o-n-n from down by the students
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=400585711
I'd argue 8:43 left in the second half would be the only time to have one, and that's pushing it. like i said before, the crowd was dead in the first half and only started to get into when we took the lead. but a lack of offensive rhythm, evident by the play-by-play, lead to no big, exciting runs

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Red came after the dude Jeremy.
Would also like to see the cheerleaders bring back "the caterpillar" on the floor at timeouts

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last year during the Hartford game v. Looeyville Big Red did the "O" and immediately felt a stabbing pain in his right testicle and collapsed down a flight of stairs. Hasn't been seen since except by a guy he met online who tried helping with his nut problem.

Very sad.

Reaction Score
Last year during the Hartford game v. Looeyville Big Red did the "O" and immediately felt a stabbing pain in his right testicle and collapsed down a flight of stairs. Hasn't been seen since except by a guy he met online who tried helping with his nut problem.

Very sad.

I was there and don't think this happened.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was there and don't think this happened.
sarcasm20meter.jpg

Reaction Score
I'd argue 8:43 left in the second half would be the only time to have one, and that's pushing it. like i said before, the crowd was dead in the first half and only started to get into when we took the lead. but a lack of offensive rhythm, evident by the play-by-play, lead to no big, exciting runs

No, you're wrong. I don't need to read a play-by-play to know that the place was absolutely going crazy during that run in the second half. I was there, everyone was jumping up and down, and if Red had been there, it would have been a perfect time for him to do his thing. Stop being weird.

Reaction Score
I don't know Big Red but he started the chant in the 1989-90 Dream Season. I was a student at the time and if memory serves correct it began at one of the first games we ever had at Gampel. He just got up and did his thing and the student section urged him on at most games from that point forward.

This DC article suggests it started in 1976 or 1977 (see page 14): http://issuu.com/dailycampus/docs/dc_12.8/14

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Have to say watching the game I am unsure if the game was strange or the crowd was subdued. I know for the first half and early 2nd half we never hit a shot to tie or take the lead which would send the crowd over the top. And when you take the lead with foul shots sometimes it's a crowd-monetum breaker. Not sure why, but the crowd wasn't a big factor and never got too loud. Also the crowd wasn't at the least ready for the 1st in bounds with 4.4 left, no one up when the ref was ready to hand the ball but KO called TO and someone realized they needed to make noise!

Weird game
I was watching the game on TV and was live texting a few of my buddies. At 1:29pm (mid-second half, based on time stamp), I asked him is Gampel was as loud as Michigan State '99. If you weren't there, they hired the real Michael Buffer to do his "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!!!" deal.

UConn jumped on Mateen Cleaves and Co. and never looked back. It was the loudest I've ever heard Gampel. Though truth be told, the Red Dog hangover may have amplified the sensation that day. Dear Geezus, why did we ever drink that swill?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
|
|
v

No, you're wrong. I don't need to read a play-by-play to know that the place was absolutely going crazy during that run in the second half. I was there, everyone was jumping up and down, and if Red had been there, it would have been a perfect time for him to do his thing. Stop being weird.
The first half as well. I was there and there were lulls during it but overall the crowd was very into it. also a lot of people were looking towards big reds section when he would usually do the chant and we all were confused

Reaction Score
This tradition can not be lost whether Big Red attends games or not.

What UConn needs to do is add something along the lines of "It's big red time!" on the score board when we go on a run. Then, simply just spell the letters out on the scoreboard.
Knowing the money grabbers at UConn and their partners at Nike they'll want to change it to chartreuse!

Reaction Score
There used to be a gentleman wearing a "Cat in the Hat" at the Women's games in Hartford. If no Big Red, he would be a good fill in.
That guy was UConn Harry I think, but God bless him, he was weak!

Reaction Score
I was watching the game on TV and was live texting a few of my buddies. At 1:29pm (mid-second half, based on time stamp), I asked him is Gampel was as loud as Michigan State '99. If you weren't there, they hired the real Michael Buffer to do his "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!!!" deal.

UConn jumped on Mateen Cleaves and Co. and never looked back. It was the loudest I've ever heard Gampel. Though truth be told, the Red Dog hangover may have amplified the sensation that day. Dear Geezus, why did we ever drink that swill?
That crowd was wild. A lot of it was due to the nature of the game. UConn pressing, stealing and running the ball down the SPARTAN'S GUT!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I made some calls to people that know Big Red. As far as I can gather, he has been sick but plans on being at the next game. We have not lost him.

thank you, I'm not ready to let go just yet

he has to give us a two year notice, Allah willing, and then train somebody to replace him

it's all about the timing dontchaknow

Reaction Score
The student section used to chant for Red's name, and that would lead up to his chant.

Haven't heard that in years. It was awesome.

Reaction Score
I don't know Big Red but he started the chant in the 1989-90 Dream Season. I was a student at the time and if memory serves correct it began at one of the first games we ever had at Gampel. He just got up and did his thing and the student section urged him on at most games from that point forward.

Vuce-I have the same exact recollection. Coach Calhoun used a full court press a lot that season and we had a ton of steals....especially Nadav Henefeld and Scott Burrell had more than a few too....... and it led to a lot of runs. After UConn would go on a run and the opponent called time out, Big Red would do his thing and the student section would abuse the other team in their huddle during the timeout.....which lead to Villanova (I think) bringing folding chairs and having their timeouts on the court away from the student section.

Reaction Score
Maybe Big Red did that chant sporadically over the years but I went to all the Uconn games as a student in 1987-88 and 1988-89 and don't remember him doing it until the 1989-90 season and it was a regular thing after that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was Big Red at the Yale game?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Big Red and his chant are a tradition that should be continued.
And while we are at it, could we get rid of the lame Huskies, UCONN, UGHH! chant? It sucks and does not build energy.

Reaction Score
Time to find a new Big Red. While it won't be the same it's time for some fan to step up. I mean the women have some dude going to every game with balls hanging all over his face how hard is it to get someone to stand up and make the U C O N N? :eek:

Reaction Score
That was Ted.
When I did women's pep band in the 96-97 and 97-98 seasons, there was a woman or (women) in the section near where Big Red is/was who would stand up and do the youyouyouyouawwwyou after a foul. Different from the Cat in the Hat man; I remember him walking around the concourse throughout a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom