Where the heck is Big Red? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where the heck is Big Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
So.... who's taking the helm of Big Red?

Reaction Score
Quick - we need someone that is about 6'-10" 280 lbs and has a huge red viking beard.

There was a guy in the UCMB with me back in the early aughts who fit this description. Ben something. He was also one of the soccer superfans. We used to joke that he could take over for Big Red upon his retirement.

Reaction Score
UConn should reach out to Florida State's Red Lightning

usatsi_7604193_221200_lowres.jpg

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This tradition can not be lost whether Big Red attends games or not.

What UConn needs to do is add something along the lines of "It's big red time!" on the score board when we go on a run. Then, simply just spell the letters out on the scoreboard.

Perfect idea. Who can we contact at the school to do this?

Reaction Score
Perfect idea. Who can we contact at the school to do this?

It's an ok idea, but will be much better if someone in the crowd leads it. If we're not careful this will turn into big cardboard cutout letters with cheerleaders shaking their kiesters. Sounds ok in theory, but it ain't Big Red by a long shot.

Reaction Score
If we're not careful this will turn into big cardboard cutout letters with cheerleaders shaking their kiesters.

That's what I'm scared of. Of course it's ideal if someone in the crowd leads it, but how realistic is that?

The scoreboard idea is just a kickoff point. It still gives us something to point to as we spell the letters (although 2 scoreboards at Gampel) and it's large enough to catch everyone's attention.

Reaction Score
while we're on the subject, does anyone know the lore of him? when he gained notoriety, uconn chant, etc
Not sure exactly when he gained notoriety, it was quite a long time ago. He was at a game with a couple of his friends when he was dared to get up and start a chant. He did, it caught on, people loved it. I believe UConn has supplied his tickets since he started doing the chant, although I could be mistaken.

If he has indeed retired I think it would be really great if UConn recognized him, (maybe at halftime of a game) and gave him a framed "Big Red" UConn jersey or something for all he has done as a fan.

Reaction Score
We got video of Big Red, just throw it up on the Jumbotron. He should be imortalized.

I was thinking of that too but wasn't sure if everyone would be on board with that.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score

What UConn needs to do is add something along the lines of "It's big red time!" on the score board when we go on a run. Then, simply just spell the letters out on the scoreboard.
Leaving it to the school probably isn't the best idea. Look no further than the terribly sped up version the cheerleaders do. They're usually done with the whole chant before Red would have gotten to the first N.

Reaction Score
Sat next to him at the game on Sunday. We were joking that he should take over.

Though I'm not sure how appropriate it is to leave his personal info up here . . .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We got video of Big Red, just throw it up on the Jumbotron. He should be imortalized.
And he should also compensated for the use of his likeness if they do this.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I was too..... we didn't go on any real runs. whenever it got close to us gaining some momentum, there would be a foul, bad turnover, etc. The crowd was pretty dead for the first half and only started to come alive when we took the lead, but our inconsistent offense didn't lead to any u-c-o-n-n chants in my opinion.
what? there were several times the crowd was looking for red and instead it was some lame, low chanted u-c-o-n-n from down by the students

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

they should just take the best video they have of him and play it on the screen when the other team calls a timeout... or find that kid who used to take off his shirt and dance his ass off when the dance cam came on, other than red this kid went bananas and got the crowd pumped

Reaction Score
billz said:
I made some calls to people that know Big Red. As far as I can gather, he has been sick but plans on being at the next game. We have not lost him.

Time for red to start grooming a successor. Does he have a large framed red headed kids working the crowds at some mid majors?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Tom at any games lately. He had to be good for at least 1 point against Texas last night. Is he ok?
Okay you candy asses if Red isn't able to make it what are you going to do ?
Let Texas beat us
This loss is on all of you
No guts to step up and punch out U C O N N UConn UConn UConn

Reaction Score
There used to be a gentleman wearing a "Cat in the Hat" at the Women's games in Hartford. If no Big Red, he would be a good fill in.

The guy was like 90 years old, I remember seeing him at Maya Moore's last home game, wouldn't be surprised if that was his last game there too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom