Where the heck is Big Red? | The Boneyard

Where the heck is Big Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wondered the same thing yesterday and meant to post the same question.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Someone in the section next to me was yelling Big Red where are you, I'm worried.

Reaction Score
Is there a chance he is only doing Hartford this year? Either way, this is concerning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Every year in the early season, we have a thread about Big Red.

And then he shows up.

I would not worry about it.

Reaction Score
We needed him yesterday Fishy, he was worth at least a point! The crappy games earlier in the year I can see him skipping, but Texas?

Reaction Score
Tom usually makes it to every Uconn game regardless of comp. If he's not there he's got a legit reason, as Fishy said, don't panic.

Reaction Score
He was at every Gampel game last season, about 5' to my left.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Very concerning that he didn't show up for a big game like Texas. Anyone know him personally?

Hope he's okay.

Reaction Score
didn't know he wasn't there. no real momentum or "big red moments" for him to shine against texas. i hope hes ok and comes. we need him!

Reaction Score
while we're on the subject, does anyone know the lore of him? when he gained notoriety, uconn chant, etc

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
From the Buy/Sell UConn facebook group, from a dedicated student (Kyle Youmans) who went to the Final 4 last year:

Kyle Youmans said:
Talked to him for a while after the big win in Dallas last year, he said that last year's journey was so amazing that he may decide to go out on top, like a true champion. He was as dedicated as any uconn fan I know and I can only aspire to bring the energy he brought to each and every game as a true blue husky fan. Let's hope we haven't seen the last of him, and regardless of whether or not he has led his final uconn chant, Big Red we thank you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
From the Buy/Sell UConn facebook group, from a dedicated student (Kyle Youmans) who went to the Final 4 last year:

Wow. That kind of sucks. The chant was probably my favorite UConn tradition.

@BlueWhiteKid any chance you take this on and carry the tradition forward? I know it's Big Red's thing but UConn basketball needs it.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, and you couldn't be more wrong.
I was too..... we didn't go on any real runs. whenever it got close to us gaining some momentum, there would be a foul, bad turnover, etc. The crowd was pretty dead for the first half and only started to come alive when we took the lead, but our inconsistent offense didn't lead to any u-c-o-n-n chants in my opinion.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Quick - we need someone that is about 6'-10" 280 lbs and has a huge red viking beard.

Reaction Score
When I lived in Wallingford I heard tales that he lived there, we need a new human mascot to rally the fans in chants.

I always loved that crowd aspect at UConn games, used to think it would be exceedingly annoying to opposing players and fans to see this heavy red-head leading our thousands in cheering after they had just gotten spanked with a UConn run. Insult to injury type thing, having it be that guy rather than a cute peppy cheerleader

Reaction Score
I was too..... we didn't go on any real runs. whenever it got close to us gaining some momentum, there would be a foul, bad turnover, etc. The crowd was pretty dead for the first half and only started to come alive when we took the lead, but our inconsistent offense didn't lead to any u-c-o-n-n chants in my opinion.

Have to say watching the game I am unsure if the game was strange or the crowd was subdued. I know for the first half and early 2nd half we never hit a shot to tie or take the lead which would send the crowd over the top. And when you take the lead with foul shots sometimes it's a crowd-monetum breaker. Not sure why, but the crowd wasn't a big factor and never got too loud. Also the crowd wasn't at the least ready for the 1st in bounds with 4.4 left, no one up when the ref was ready to hand the ball but KO called TO and someone realized they needed to make noise!

Weird game

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Have to say watching the game I am unsure if the game was strange or the crowd was subdued. I know for the first half and early 2nd half we never hit a shot to tie or take the lead which would send the crowd over the top. And when you take the lead with foul shots sometimes it's a crowd-monetum breaker. Not sure why, but the crowd wasn't a big factor and never got too loud. Also the crowd wasn't at the least ready for the 1st in bounds with 4.4 left, no one up when the ref was ready to hand the ball but KO called TO and someone realized they needed to make noise!

Weird game
I was at the game. The crowd was going absolute bonkers in the 2nd half when UConn made the run to take the lead. The noise was off the charts when UConn finally took the lead and DHam was waving his arms to the students for even more noise. ...And then starting around the 7 or 8 minute mark UConn never hit a FG again... That totally drained the energy from crowd, along with all the stupid cheap fouls UConn was committing to let Texas free throw shoot their way back into the game.

But it was during that run in the 2nd half where UConn could have used Big Red. There was a timeout where Gampel wanted a big U-C-O-N-N chant, but no one could find Red. The student section ended up doing one, but most of the non-students didn't hear it at first and weren't involved. If Red is really done, that is sad news, but someone needs to assume the mantle ASAP.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I love the U-C-O-N-N chant. I prefer it by a wide margin to the UConn, Huskies, WOOF chant. There is nothing like it when the whole joint is yelling it in unison after a big play. It's a huge home court advantage for us even when we aren't at home:

(at the 14 second mark)

Reaction Score
while we're on the subject, does anyone know the lore of him? when he gained notoriety, uconn chant, etc

I don't know Big Red but he started the chant in the 1989-90 Dream Season. I was a student at the time and if memory serves correct it began at one of the first games we ever had at Gampel. He just got up and did his thing and the student section urged him on at most games from that point forward.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't know Big Red but he started the chant in the 1989-90 Dream Season. I was a student at the time and if memory serves correct it began at one of the first games we ever had at Gampel. He just got up and did his thing and the student section urged him on at most games from that point forward.
Chant predates that season by many, many years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was at the game also. There absolutely were plenty of Big Red opportunities; he doesn't need a big opening, just a break in the action at a key time.

I also agree that there were not a ton of crowd momentum moments where the crowd got jacked on its own. Part of that is due to the fact that, although we threatened several times, we didn't break through to take the lead until we were inside the final ten minutes (I think?). But part of it was also due to a less-enthusiastic crowd than I would have expected overall, given the circumstances. I have been to a lot of the biggest Gampel games we've had against both conference foes and out of conference ranked teams; Sunday's crowd was not remotely memorable in any respect like many of those others have been.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Oh there definitely was, especially at one point when we finally gained the lead in the 2nd half and Texas called a TO everyone, including myself, was looking to Big Red to lead the charge and he was MIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom