Where is our commissioner? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Where is our commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your posts are somehow getting even worse by the day.
Fanboy speaks. Are you a UConn fan or just a NEWBIE fanboy? Why do you even care whether St John’s or Seton Hall, 2 mediocre teams, got in?

Reaction Score
I’m not disagreeing with you. FAU is clearly in based on the fact that they went to the F4 last year. If they don’t do that, not a chance they’re in the field this year. There are other head-scratchers, I’m just saying why the committee undervalued the mid-tier teams beating up on each other. They need to take care of business OOC so that our league isn’t viewed as completely top-heavy.
Didn’t FAU beat Arizona in Arizona?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The entire cbb world is going to forget the snubs the second the tournament starts.

You really think final 4 coverage will spend a second on seton Hall?
If 3 BigEast teams made the FF they would absolutely revisit this. Not in a specific team way, but as a story about the league and how they only got 3 teams and all 3 are here.

Reaction Score
I never thought that on Selection Sunday I would be so fired up over other teams and not our own. Not sure if other BE Teams would be as concerned about us had we not made it (circumstances reversed w/ records etc) but that’s what makes us UCONN.

People can say what they want. St. John’s was a tourney worthy team. I don’t agree with skipping NIT but understand their frustration.

The selection committee has been tainted by football schools and TV money. There’s no other way around it.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Didn’t FAU beat Arizona in Arizona?
That was maybe the best nonconference win any team had all year. They also had some terrible losses. They're a total toss-up.
What seems clear is that they were slotted into an 8-9 game like a week ago and never moved off it, when they should by rights have been a First Four type team. Same with Michigan State. The games matter until they don't.

Reaction Score
But how much of that was us, Marquette, and Creighton? I think that’s the issue. The mid-range teams were largely disappointing in OOC. Butler and Nova probably had the best OOC of the group and then both crapped their pants in league play.
But even Butler and Villanova had duds. Nova's losses were horrific. Butler's OOC had one solid win: Boise State. But they hurt their own metrics by needing 2OT to beat ACC power-house California, and lost to both Michigan State and Florida Atlantic. Michigan State beat them by 20.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Zero fear from me. Uconn and the Big East got screwed. It has nothing to do with fear. I think we're going to win the whole thing if we're healthy, I've thought that since January. I also know we got royally screwed.
If you have no fear and claim UConn got screwed wouldn't it mean that Iowa State, Illinois and Auburn got screwed more by getting us?

If you believe we are going to win the whole thing then why does it matter who we play?

I get it. I much rather have the bracket Purdue and UNC have than our bracket because the path looks easier on paper. But paper doesn't play the game. No one would have predicted Houston, Purdue and UNC losing their finals in their respective conference tournaments. There are no guarantees in sports which is why so many of us watch games.

So yes we got "screwed"! We deserved an easier path as a reward for our season. Personally I'll be only slightly more tense each game than if the teams were less good. I felt last season the hardest tournament game we played was Iona. We were lucky their shooter had back spasms. I'm not going to blame our commissioner for something that she has little or no control over. Our bubble teams were not forced to schedule the teams they scheduled. They were not forced to lose games they should have won.

Reaction Score
The entire cbb world is going to forget the snubs the second the tournament starts.

You really think final 4 coverage will spend a second on seton Hall?
The university president's will continue to care because bread ($$$$) was stolen from their mouths

Reaction Score
If you have no fear and claim UConn got screwed wouldn't it mean that Iowa State, Illinois and Auburn got screwed more by getting us?

If you believe we are going to win the whole thing then why does it matter who we play?

I get it. I much rather have the bracket Purdue and UNC have than our bracket because the path looks easier on paper. But paper doesn't play the game. No one would have predicted Houston, Purdue and UNC losing their finals in their respective conference tournaments. There are no guarantees in sports which is why so many of us watch games.

So yes we got "screwed"! We deserved an easier path as a reward for our season. Personally I'll be only slightly more tense each game than if the teams were less good. I felt last season the hardest tournament game we played was Iona. We were lucky their shooter had back spasms. I'm not going to blame our commissioner for something that she has little or no control over. Our bubble teams were not forced to schedule the teams they scheduled. They were not forced to lose games they should have won.
I get it, things don’t always play out as on paper, but the committee’s responsibility / job is to make it fair on paper. They had an epic failure that’s inexcusable. The process either lacked basic integrity, was grossly incompetent, or plain lazy. None of those is acceptable and it may be a combination. Heads need to roll.

Reaction Score

Remember, last year we were screwed by the committee, too! Underseeded, and then Iona-St. Mary's-Kansas-UCLA was a totally unfair run to have to get to the Final Four.

This fanbase is always upset. Everyone is always out to get us.

I think the East is poorly bracketed. I think there are non-conspiracy answers: committee finished too soon and some procedural issues. Occam's Razor and all...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The university president's will continue to care because bread ($$$$) was stolen from their mouths

Schools like UConn operate billion dollar budgets. Seton Hall getting an additional $2M for the league divided up against 11 teams is the repair for a new bathroom in a dorm. Totally immaterial to anything on a prez radar.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Remember, last year we were screwed by the committee, too! Underseeded, and then Iona-St. Mary's-Kansas-UCLA was a totally unfair run to have to get to the Final Four.

This fanbase is always upset. Everyone is always out to get us.

I think the East is poorly bracketed. I think there are non-conspiracy answers: committee finished too soon and some procedural issues. Occam's Razor and all...
It's fine to think both that there were poor decisions made by the committee and that it doesn't matter all that much. You can't win a title without beating tough teams.
What is galling is that people on here, like the fans of dozens of other teams, take this seriously, and the people who have the actual decision-making power manifestly don't. They either don't know or don't care, and make up excuses after the fact to explain half-baked decisions.
It's ok to be mad about that.

Reaction Score
Fanboy speaks. Are you a UConn fan or just a NEWBIE fanboy? Why do you even care whether St John’s or Seton Hall, 2 mediocre teams, got in?
The conference gets paid for the number of teams they get in and the further they go the more money it makes. It's economics.

Reaction Score
It's fine to think both that there were poor decisions made by the committee and that it doesn't matter all that much. You can't win a title without beating tough teams.
What is galling is that people on here, like the fans of dozens of other teams, take this seriously, and the people who have the actual decision-making power manifestly don't. They either don't know or don't care, and make up excuses after the fact to explain half-baked decisions.
It's ok to be mad about that.
It's totally okay to be mad.

Where I think it crosses into comedy is the conspiracy-theory driven stuff that fuels this "EVERYBODY HATES US" mentality typically indicative of a middle school mentality.

They did a bad job. We agree. The seedings were all over the place. St. John's or Seton Hall or both should be in. But...there were other rational reasons for that we might disagree with than a conspiracy.

Reaction Score
Saying "St. John's was not a good team" just ignores the objective awfulness of the teams that got in ahead of them. Pay attention to the rest of college basketball if you're going to throw your opinion out there.
I told you why they were not a good team. If they were in the ACC with a comparable resume, you wouldn’t bat an eye. Their supposedly great 6 game win streak had 1 huge upset, 2 games with Georgetown and 1 with DePaul. They could have won those 3 playing 4 guys and an Orange cone. And they beat Seton Hall in the tournament. So it wasn’t exactly beating a lineup of powerhouses. As I said, before that the LOST 8 out of 10 and DePaul was one of the 2 wins. You can’t just look at the last 6 games and ignore everything before that. Plus they lost to a dreadful Michigan and to a pretty bad BC. Lastly, there are always going to be a couple of “legacy admissions.” There are in every tournament. St John’s has not been relevant for 30 years. They aren’t getting one of those.

Reaction Score
BE women's basketball is not good with only 2 top 25 teams and no other schools receiving votes. Schools need to step up and invest in women's basketball.
:rolleyes: Yeah, sure. I’m sure it’s on the list.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's totally okay to be mad.

Where I think it crosses into comedy is the conspiracy-theory driven stuff that fuels this "EVERYBODY HATES US" mentality typically indicative of a middle school mentality.

They did a bad job. We agree. The seedings were all over the place. St. John's or Seton Hall or both should be in. But...there were other rational reasons for that we might disagree with than a conspiracy.
No argument there.
The one place I do drift into conspiracy land is when the SEC and Big 10 get every break, and the Big East end up on the wrong end of every 50-50 call. There's arguments on all bubble teams, but our conference got shut out.
It sure feels like a football thing.

Reaction Score
Tranghese wasn't a bad commissioner. When Marinatto got the job, the raid was on.
Tranghese was better than Marinatto, but he was definitely asleep at the switch with the first ACC raid. That being said, he assembled a great football/basketball hybrid conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom