Where is our commissioner? | The Boneyard

Where is our commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is criminal she hasn't spoke up. It is ridiculous the Big East got just 3 bids in while Michigan State and Virginia got in. Also, UNC got by far the easiest bracket while we got the hardest as the overall number 1 seed. UNC got beat by us and Nova. This is total disrespect.

What this is telling us is the Big East needs to stop this home and away for all conference games. Big East teams need to schedule much more out of conference games. For many of our Big East brethrens, getting hammered by UConn 2 to 3 times this year certainly didn't help. Val better get on her ass and change the scheduling format for the league to adjust to this metric game like the B12 gamed all year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely seems hard to believe that Big East gets 3 bids (all of whom were pretty much ranked in the top 10 AP poll). I expected five and four at the very least. St. John’s RPI in NET apparently means nothing. Let alone winning six of their last seven or whatever it was.

Reaction Score
The BE obviously got screwed but I’m not buying a power conference or cbs affiliate scheme because the MW is a midmajor with a fox deal aren’t they? And they got 6 bids
Was this meant for this thread?

All the talking heads think our league got screwed on bids and UConn got screwed with our bracket and the commissioner is nowhere to be found. Our representative on thr committee was some old dude from Butler who is retiring. I never see Val anywhere and never see her lobbying for the conference. Last time I read about her was months ago and she was talking about Title IX.

Reaction Score
I might be crazy, but this might work out better for next year. This year the teams that got n give the conference a good shot at posting a winning record. Usually conferences and maybthat get in a lot have to scrape by to hit ,500. If we get 3 teams in at the 10-11 line, we are lucky to hit .500 with those 3. With the five stolen bids, how many are we short, maybe 2? Who could make a run? I agree - I would not put in Mich st (8/9), Virginia, Clemson, and maybe some b 12 teams like tcu (who I like to watch, they can hit home runs or strike out). Bottom line is our conferences best three teams got good seeds, and the teams that were pretty darn good got screwed, but in a weird way that will pressure them to alter next year.

Reaction Score
Definitely seems hard to believe that Big East gets 3 bids (all of whom were pretty much ranked in the top 10 AP poll). I expected five and four at the very least. St. John’s RPI in NET apparently means nothing. Let alone winning six of their last seven or whatever it was.
St. John’s suffered because they pooped the bed in OOC (bad losses to BC and Michigan, no real quality wins). And then in the BE, their best wins outside of the Creighton win were against non-tournament or bubble teams. They should have been in, but I get it, especially since the committee didn’t think that highly of the BE outside of the top 3 and that’s where almost all of their wins came from.

Reaction Score
I might be crazy, but this might work out better for next year. This year the teams that got n give the conference a good shot at posting a winning record. Usually conferences and maybthat get in a lot have to scrape by to hit ,500. If we get 3 teams in at the 10-11 line, we are lucky to hit .500 with those 3. With the five stolen bids, how many are we short, maybe 2? Who could make a run? I agree - I would not put in Mich st (8/9), Virginia, Clemson, and maybe some b 12 teams like tcu (who I like to watch, they can hit home runs or strike out). Bottom line is our conferences best three teams got good seeds, and the teams that were pretty darn good got screwed, but in a weird way that will pressure them to alter next year.
I'd like to believe that but something just smells oddly like a conspiracy the way the Big East was treated and I wouldn't bet they'll do anything next year to make up for it...........because (we'll be told) two wrongs don't make a right.

The other thing that hurt the league was DePaul and Georgetown. The Commissioner in a strong league would have a list of coaches ready to hire and step in and work with the schools to help them pick the right coach. The way Ohio State turned around after firing Holtman doesn't give me any hope that he's the right guy for DePaul.

Reaction Score

All the talking heads think our league got screwed on bids and UConn got screwed with our bracket and the commissioner is nowhere to be found. Our representative on thr committee was some old dude from Butler who is retiring. I never see Val anywhere and never see her lobbying for the conference. Last time I read about her was months ago and she was talking about Title IX.
Agreed. Is this who the conference members want to trust with a new tv contract looming?

Reaction Score
I forgot to say i 100% agree. Also I have no faith in her renegotiating a solid tv deal either. But i hope/think this debacle is a one year fluke rather than a systemic crisis.

Reaction Score
But last year UConn was ranked 7 in the AP Poll before the tourney started and we were expecting a 2 seed. Instead we got a 4 seed. Even though we went undefeated in the OOC and even beat #1 Alabama handily. So is the OOC important or not? It sure wasn't last year when they held the BE against UConn. Also, Creighton and UConn advanced deep into the tourney, so last year's performance certainly wasnt credited to this year.

Reaction Score
You have good points. I don’t argue for the sake of it. With regard to your fear of a conspiracy theory label: - every detective is a conspiracy theorist.

Reaction Score
I forgot to say i 100% agree. Also I have no faith in her renegotiating a solid tv deal either. But i hope/think this debacle is a one year fluke rather than a systemic crisis.
I tend to think it's a 1 year fluke because I thought the conference has been treated fairly in previous years but upstater is right, UConn should've been higher than their seed last year.

Reaction Score
Val is as incompetent as they come. There should have been a statement out this evening laying into the committee with point after point how this is an old boys network. She’s even too stupid to use the asset she does have as a woman commissioner. Not having 3 more teams in is a huge financial to the conference, and if UConn makes it to another title, once again we bring in the $$ to feed the rest. If you believe these people (including the crappy deal getting into a catholic school conference) are competent I’ve got a bridge to sell you. Friggin blind leading the stupid.

Reaction Score
It is criminal she hasn't spoke up. It is ridiculous the Big East got just 3 bids in while Michigan State and Virginia got in. Also, UNC got by far the easiest bracket while we got the hardest as the overall number 1 seed. UNC got beat by us and Nova. This is total disrespect.

What this is telling us is the Big East needs to stop this home and away for all conference games. Big East teams need to schedule much more out of conference games. For many of our Big East brethrens, getting hammered by UConn 2 to 3 times this year certainly didn't help. Val better get on her ass and change the scheduling format for the league to adjust to this metric game like the B12 gamed all year.
When they asked UConn where they wanted to play, if they said west bracket, UConn would have gotten UNCs bracket.

Reaction Score
How many titles won out of the west versus the others? Hurley is testing his underwear.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

What planet do you post from?

None of that makes any sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

She’s useless.

Greg Sankey and Brett York basically spent last week threatening the makeup of the tournament and they got 14 at large bids. Phillips went nuts last year and this year he gets Virginia in the back door.

Meanwhile, Val’s off watching Netflix and failing on every single thing she has tried to do over the past year. Renegotiate the contract last March? Fail. Last summer? Fail. Fall? Fail. Winter? Fail. She keeps talking about it, but where is it?

She was jabbering about expansion way too publicly and then her only target said NFW and she’s left with her thumbs up her ass again.

Let her hand out trophies, but hire a killer to sit behind the big desk.

Reaction Score
Ackerman’s tenure as Big East commish so far smells like a hobby in her post-WNBA career. There’s a reason why she went underground for a number of years after that gig ended.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The BE obviously got screwed but I’m not buying a power conference or cbs affiliate scheme because the MW is a midmajor with a fox deal aren’t they? And they got 6 bids

But they're not competing for titles, prospects or TV money

I believe there may be some bias

Reaction Score
It may be time for a new conference
100% agree. Our return to the conference that helped establish our legacy has this romanticizing factor. But we need to take a 10,000 foot view here. Big East is not about growth. It’s about trying to relive and recreate the past. The past is dead. It will never be the same 90’s battles. AND the Big East commish and officials are scared of the NCAA. The Big East has no leverage.

If we want to grow, get the best media deals (to help with NIL), and be part of the leagues that will have leverage w the NCAA, it’s time to move on.

Reaction Score
Val is as incompetent as they come. There should have been a statement out this evening laying into the committee with point after point how this is an old boys network. She’s even too stupid to use the asset she does have as a woman commissioner. Not having 3 more teams in is a huge financial to the conference, and if UConn makes it to another title, once again we bring in the $$ to feed the rest. If you believe these people (including the crappy deal getting into a catholic school conference) are competent I’ve got a bridge to sell you. Friggin blind leading the stupid.
So let me get this straight. Val is a crappy commissioner because she doesn’t do a good enough job for her members, and proof of that is that when we entered the conference we got screwed (meaning that by definition her members got a good deal). LMAO.

Explain to me what, other than make you feel better, an angry press release attacking the committee is going to accomplish?

The job of the commissioner in this day and age is to primarily to negotiate contracts for the conference. By far, the most important ones are the multi-year TV deals. We’ll see how she does. But how loud she whines about committee decisions will have little to do with it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thought I read MW was CBS…. Could be wrong.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Val’s off watching Netflix and failing on every single thing she has tried to do over the past year. Renegotiate the contract last March? Fail. Last summer? Fail. Fall? Fail. Winter? Fail. She keeps talking about it, but where is it?

This is concerning as it is eerily similar to the manner in which Kliavkoff handled the Pac-12's negotiations up until last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom