Where is my daily Knicks update? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Where is my daily Knicks update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
He was efficient last night. But he also shot about 40% (maybe worse) for the rest of te series while missing about 100 shots. Hes a high volume scorer. Plain and simple. Nothing else to his game. He played PF and everyone knew Indiana was dominating them on the boards and he had 6 boards in over 40 min. How can you play 6 games at over 40 min a night and manage to only dish out 7 assists? That's almost impossible. He will never lead our Knicks anywhere

Well he certainly won't do it by himself. Why don't you bring up Tyson Chandler, who usually does a good job against Hibbert while in a Knick uniform got outplayed, out hustled and outclassed by him? For all his brash talk about being here to protect the rim and known as an excellent rebounder, he plain just didn't show up. I'm very disappointed with Tyson given his championship pedigree from Dallas 2 years ago. And what the heck is Camby doing on the bench while KMart is guarding Hibbert? Felton, arguably the MVP of the Boston series gets outplayed by Lance Stephenson. Like I said last night, "our" Knicks didn't deserve to win this series. They were so focused on Miami that I truly believe they didn't take Indiana seriously until it was too late. Just a clusterduck of stuff that just went wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Melo will never, ever win a championship as long as guys like LeBron, Durant, and other guys who actually play a team game are out there. 7 assists in 6 games says it all. He doesn't have the capacity to make anyone else an ounce better. He doesn't have the capacity to drag a team to the next level. Never has, never will.

Reaction Score
The Knicks blow. Maybe in 5 or ten years they might be able to build a team.

Reaction Score
I am dead serious. Paul George- especially with his contract- is a FAR BETTER basketball player. Carmelo is a volume shooter, who makes his teams worse.

If he drove the lane more often, he'd get calls. But he doesn't. He jacks low-efficiency shots. I don't think tonight is on him- he stunk in the fourth, but was magnificent for three quarters. But overall? Can't win with this team. Can't do it.

Donnie Walsh built a team. And they blew it up for a chucker. Now the window is closed until 2017ish. Take a look at what Donnie is building in Indiana and what's they're building in Denver. THATS how you win.

Team.

This seems like your typical zls hyperbole to me. Do you really think a Knicks team consisting of Raymond Felton, JR Smith, Tyson Chandler, Jason Kidd, Iman Shumpert and Amare Stoudemire among others is winning 54 games and locking down a two seed in the East, or am I taking your statement too literally?

Look - the guy struggled with a limited supporting cast against two very, very good defenses in Boston and Indiana that have the tendency to expose the flaws of opposing teams and players. LeBron James - one of the best ten players of all-time - shot under 45% and turned the ball over nearly 5 times a game against the Celtics a couple years ago. Dwyane Wade shot 31% in his first three playoff games against the Pacers last season until the light finally went on in game four. Josh Smith shot only 43% against the Pacers in round one this season. The point is this: these are defenses with length, speed, and intelligence at every position with a history of confusing great players, making them uncomfortable, and testing the meddle of the fundamental trust teammates have in each other.

I'm by no means arguing Carmelo doesn't have his limitations - he's a mediocre defender, he's a historically inefficient scorer in the postseason, and his court vision in terms of handling double teams and recognizing the schemes of opposing defenses leaves a lot to be desired. I'm as big a Syracuse hater as the next guy, and I root for him to miss every shot he takes. But let's be reasonable here - there are probably less than five players in the entire league who could have switched places with Carmelo and won that series for the Knicks. LeBron is one, Durant is probably another, and after that you're trying to talk yourself into guys like Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul. Aside from the small forward position, the Pacers had the edge at LITERALLY EVERY OTHER POSITION. George Hill is better than Raymond Felton, Paul George (if you're considering him a shooting guard) is better than JR Smith, David West is better than the pitiful Kenyon Martin/Chris Copeland tandem, and Roy Hibbert crapped all over the evidently hobbled Tyson Chandler.

It just seems completely non-sensical to me to argue Carmelo, and not Amare, is the guy crippling the Knicks long-term roster flexibility. Carmelo averaged 29 ppg along with 7 boards on 45/38/83 shooting splits. He's more than earning his pay check. As I said, Carmelo is going to need to learn how to opperate within the confines of a team offense if he's going to win a championship rather than flailing away at the point forward position he's clearly not suited for. But what if you replace Amare's deal with Chris Paul? Then you have one of the best defensive players in basketball anchoring your defense in Tyson Chandler, the best floor general in basketball running your offense in Chris Paul, and one of the best scorers in basketball cashing the checks in Carmelo Anthony, surrounded by excellent role players like JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, and whoever else they may be able to sign to the vetern minimum. Please tell me that's not a team that can win a championship.

Reaction Score
If they were focused on Miami and not on Indiana then that team is more of a joke than I thought they were. I don't believe that at all, I just think they are a one dimensional team that got away from their one dimension by trying to match Indiana at their game. A foolish decision by a foolish coach and it led to defeat, although they probably would have lost anyway.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You almost need two superstars to win a title in the NBA and one of them shouldn't be Carmelo Anthony.

I give Woodson a ton of credit for what he did this year.

I agree with everything except the excluding Melo part. Tough to say unless/until he's had the chance.

Sadly or not, this season was progress for the Knicks. Get one step further again next season and take it from there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You do realize Melo has virtually no consistent second option right? You can preach team all you want but if other players aren't even attempting shots in the fourth quarter of an elimination game then I absolutely expect Melo to take them.

The reason Melo doesn't have a 2nd option is because he doesn't want one. He wants to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option. When they win, he's the hero. When they lose he cries about not having any help. It's perfect for him. They had a 2nd option last year but Melo ran him out of town because he was taking some of the spotlight from Melo.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The reason Melo doesn't have a 2nd option is because he doesn't want one. He wants to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option. When they win, he's the hero. When they lose he cries about not having any help. It's perfect for him. They had a 2nd option last year but Melo ran him out of town because he was taking some of the spotlight from Melo.

Lin left on his own terms.

Reaction Score
Lin left on his own terms.

Lin left because the Knicks were too stupid to sign him. Here's an interesting analysis from an article I just read:
"Hindsight doesn’t make you a genius, but when the New York Knicks decided to let Jeremy Lin go to the Houston Rockets it wasn’t just a money decision. It was about the egos of James Dolan and Carmelo Anthony, and deciding to build a team around a superstar who knows how to play in only one way, and it isn’t the right one. Lin might never be as talented of a scorer like Anthony or James Harden, but playing in a style that feeds off his talent is a better way to find success.
We will never know if the Knicks with Lin might have done better than reach the conference semifinals and lose in six games to the Indiana Pacers. One thing is clear: The kind of basketball the Knicks played, based on Anthony posting up 25-30 times a game and hoping for the best doesn’t get you very far against good teams"

Reaction Score
And if the knicks resigned Lin everyone would have said that the Knicks overpaid for him, and im pretty sure Melo planned on having his second option being Amare before he came to the knicks. I dont think having Lin would have made a difference vs indiana. Its not what if its what is and the Knicks are the Knicks I have gotten used to it, its why I never have any expectations with them.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
well, I guess Knicks fans can still brag about the Knicks having a better season than the C's this year

kinda like their SB

remember when the Jets were going to dethrone the Pats? still brings a smile to my face

Reaction Score
well, I guess Knicks fans can still brag about the Knicks having a better season than the C's this year

kinda like their SB

remember when the Jets were going to dethrone the Pats? still brings a smile to my face

I am a Giants fan at least.

Reaction Score
64FmCIL.png

How on Earth did Camby, Kidd and Novak get multi-year guaranteed contracts? And I read that JR Smith is being offered a 4 year contract as well for $5m/year.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Lin left because the Knicks were too stupid to sign him. Here's an interesting analysis from an article I just read:
"Hindsight doesn’t make you a genius, but when the New York Knicks decided to let Jeremy Lin go to the Houston Rockets it wasn’t just a money decision. It was about the egos of James Dolan and Carmelo Anthony, and deciding to build a team around a superstar who knows how to play in only one way, and it isn’t the right one. Lin might never be as talented of a scorer like Anthony or James Harden, but playing in a style that feeds off his talent is a better way to find success.
We will never know if the Knicks with Lin might have done better than reach the conference semifinals and lose in six games to the Indiana Pacers. One thing is clear: The kind of basketball the Knicks played, based on Anthony posting up 25-30 times a game and hoping for the best doesn’t get you very far against good teams"

I'm sorry, but Jeremy Lin is highly overrated man. If it weren't for James Harden he would have flopped being the focal point of the offense and having everyone play off of him. I love how no one brings up Tyson Chandler playing like absolute crap and being out rebounded by Melo, at 6'8 to Tyson's 7'0 in game 6.

Lets pile on Melo, it's easy.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but Jeremy Lin is highly overrated man. If it weren't for James Harden he would have flopped being the focal point of the offense and having everyone play off of him.

I have to disagree here. Jeremy Lin is still one of the best in the NBA at running the pick and roll (even if he can only go right - top 5 in all of NBA according to Morey) and a very good scorer near the rim. The issue is that this season, because James Harden has the ball and is initiating the plays 80% of the time, Lin was turned primarily into a spot shooting 2guard for the Rockets, which wasn't anywhere near his strength.

Lin needs the ball in his hands to be effective, but he basically spent the season spotting up for threes he couldn't make. I believe he was averaging only about 14 points per 48 when Harden was on the floor, but 25+ when Harden was on the bench. And although he started the season poorly, he actually got better as the season progressed. Whether that was due to recovering from his previous injury & surgery or not, we'll see. Also, he had a better season than Felton.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I have to disagree here. Jeremy Lin is still one of the best in the NBA at running the pick and roll (even if he can only go right) and a very good scorer near the rim. The issue is that this season, because James Harden has the ball and is initiating the plays 80% of the time, Lin was turned primarily into a spot shooting 2guard for the Rockets, which wasn't anywhere near his strength. Lin needs the ball in his hands to be effective, but he basically spent the season spotting up for threes he couldn't make. I believe he was averaging only about 14 points per 48 when Harden was on the floor, but 25+ when Harden was on the bench. And although he started the season poorly, he actually got better as the season progressed. Whether that was due to recovering from his previous injury & surgery or not, we'll see. Also, he had a better season than Felton.

I'm pretty sure Felton's numbers were better than Lin this season. He too battled injuries. Lin has female parts and I lost all respect for him when he made that ridiculous 85% ready to play comment a year ago then sits out of a playoff game this year due to a bruised chest. Guy has no heart. And if Lin needs the ball in his hands a high percentage of the time, how do you change the offense to go through a second year player who comes out of nowhere?

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Felton's numbers were better than Lin this season. He too battled injuries.

Their per-game numbers were pretty similar:
Felton - 13.9 points (42.7%/36.0%/78.9%), 2.9 boards, 5.5 assists, 0.2 blocks, 1.4 steals, 2.3 turnovers in 68 games
Lin - 13.4 points (44.1%/33.9%/78.5%), 3.0 boards, 6.1 assists, 0.4 blocks, 1.6 steals, 2.9 turnovers in 82 games

But when you get into analytics, Felton did worse than Lin. Despite handling the ball more (22.21 USG vs 20.74), Felton's possessions would lead to less assists (25.4 assist rate vs 28.4). Isn't that what you would want from a drive and kick point guard that isn't the first scoring option? He also had a much lower TS% than Lin (50.5 TS% vs 53.8), and was well below league average in that regard (53.5). He does, however have many less turnovers (10.6 turnover rate vs 13.5), as that's been Lin's main weakness thus far in his career.

And this is all despite Houston playing away from Lin's strengths.

And if Lin needs the ball in his hands a high percentage of the time, how do you change the offense to go through a second year player who comes out of nowhere?

They don't need to change the offense for him. Lin was a good pick up for the team until they got Harden; and Harden is one of the best players in the game, so they're doing the right thing by focusing their offense around him. But after the trade, I think that Lin no longer has a proper place on that team and they should look to move him unless he can show improvement in his jump shooting.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Their per-game numbers were pretty similar:
Felton - 13.9 points (42.7%/36.0%/78.9%), 2.9 boards, 5.5 assists, 0.2 blocks, 1.4 steals, 2.3 turnovers in 68 games
Lin - 13.4 points (44.1%/33.9%/78.5%), 3.0 boards, 6.1 assists, 0.4 blocks, 1.6 steals, 2.9 turnovers in 82 games

But when you get into analytics, Felton did worse than Lin. Despite handling the ball more (22.21 USG vs 20.74), Felton's possessions would lead to less assists (25.4 assist rate vs 28.4). Isn't that what you would want from a drive and kick point guard that isn't the first scoring option? He also had a much lower TS% than Lin (50.5 TS% vs 53.8), and was well below league average in that regard (53.5). He does, however have many less turnovers (10.6 turnover rate vs 13.5), as that's been Lin's main weakness thus far in his career.

And this is all despite Houston playing away from Lin's strengths.

They don't need to change the offense for him. Lin was a good pick up for the team until they got Harden; and Harden is one of the best players in the game, so they're doing the right thing by focusing their offense around him. But after the trade, I think that Lin no longer has a proper place on that team and they should look to move him unless he can show improvement in his jump shooting.

I appreciate you looking up the stats of both players. Felton averaged closer to 2 TO's per game to Lin's closer to 3. That's always been his problem and Felton taking care of the ball was a big reason why NY lead the league in fewest TO's per game. A huge jump with being last or second to last in that category a year ago.

Also I don't like TS%. I think it's flawed and doesn't tell the true story, no pun intended.

Reaction Score
The Knicks daily update?

They sucked in the end. a REAL TEAM played TEAM basketball and beat the Knicks. The New York Knickerbockers had a good year, for them, with a deft coaching job by Mike Woodson.

Reaction Score
This board is crazy, Lin as a 2nd option to Melo? Lmao, you are not winning with Lin as your 2nd best player/2nd scoring option.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Knicks fan but Lin is merely a trading chip for the rockets. Nice sized contract and highly replaceable. he is really not top 5 anything, but niether is Felton. In another news boheim is in the media today ripping the knickerbockers, not melo tho (rightfully so).

Reaction Score
Beverly played PG way better then Lin for the Rockets.

Reaction Score
As long as the "team" is built around Melo this will be their story every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom