Where is my daily Knicks update? | The Boneyard

Where is my daily Knicks update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No thread, or is that only when they win? Oh well, at least Carmelo got one vote for mvp...

Reaction Score
No thread, or is that only when they win? Oh well, at least Carmelo got one vote for mvp...
And here's the explanation from the Boston Globe's Gary Washburn of why he voted for Carmelo Anthony for MVP.

I voted for Carmelo Anthony based on his importance to the New York Knicks, who, if you haven’t been paying attention the past decade, have failed to be relevant.
When the voting was announced Sunday afternoon, I was flabbergasted to learn I was the lone voter among 121 to not give LeBron a first-place vote, truly believing Anthony, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, and perhaps even Kobe Bryant would snag a first-place vote or two.

Firstly, when I submitted my vote in mid-April, I had no idea I would be the only voter to leave LeBron out of first. This isn’t Mrs. Wilson’s class, I don’t walk around asking fellow sportswriters their answers to the US History quiz. I had no idea whom the writers were voting for, so this was no LeBron conspiracy.

Secondly, this isn’t the Best Player in the Game award, it’s the Most Valuable Player award, and I think what Anthony accomplished this season was worthy of my vote. He led the Knicks to their first division title in 19 years.

Why my MVP vote went to Carmelo Anthony

Reaction Score
I heard him interviewed this morning. I didnt recognize the voice and had no idea it was Gary Washburn. I figured it was some Knicks flunky/fanboy. The interviewer was doing his best to hide his amazement.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
"... based on his importance to the New York Knicks, who, if you haven’t been paying attention the past decade, have failed to be relevant."
Yes, vote against LeBron because the Knicks are usually terrible. Makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
"... based on his importance to the New York Knicks, who, if you haven’t been paying attention the past decade, have failed to be relevant."
Yes, vote against LeBron because the Knicks are usually terrible. Makes perfect sense.

This is the DEFINITION of MVP though. Most valuable player to a team. In a perfect world, they would rename the award most outstanding player, then any difference in opinion on definition of the award would be nullified.

Reaction Score

He makes a fair point. Take LeBron off the Heat and Carmelo off of New York, and what do you get? Miami would be in the playoffs, while the Knicks would be watching the lottery with a whole lot more interest.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
His reasoning was not outrageous. I think he's being too literal with the award, but so be it - he's a sportswriter, not a rocket scientist.

On the game itself, this loss is on Syracuse.

First, Melo stunk.

Second, the Knicks draft Andy "Can't Play" Rautins two spots ahead of Lance Stephenson.

Great move.

Reaction Score
He makes a fair point. Take LeBron off the Heat and Carmelo off of New York, and what do you get? Miami would be in the playoffs, while the Knicks would be watching the lottery with a whole lot more interest.

Fair, but wrong. Is someone who takes a team from a non-entity to a decent playoff team more "valuable" than someone who makes a borderline playoff team one of the most dominant teams of the last 20 years?

Plus, his argument implies that LeBron wouldn't have done for the Knicks what Anthony did, which is just flat out wrong. Trade Carmelo for LeBron, and the Knicks are better than the Heat.

Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing, Lebron - as a twenty-two year old - brought this team to the NBA finals:

- Shannon Brown
- Daniel Gibson
- Drew Gooden
- Larry Hughes
- Zydrunas Ilgauskas
- Damon Jones
- Dwayne Jones
- Donyell
- Ira Newble
- Sasha Pavlovic
- Scot Pollard
- Eric Snow
- Anderson Varejao
- David Wesley

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This is the DEFINITION of MVP though. Most valuable player to a team. In a perfect world, they would rename the award most outstanding player, then any difference in opinion on definition of the award would be nullified.
By this understanding, every other voter got it wrong.
It's not most valuable to a team, it's most valuable period. As in, provides the most value. By that understanding, it's about who had a better season. LeBron did, and it's not even close.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing, Lebron - as a twenty-two year old - brought this team to the NBA finals:

- Shannon Brown
- Daniel Gibson
- Drew Gooden
- Larry Hughes
- Zydrunas Ilgauskas
- Damon Jones
- Dwayne Jones
- Donyell
- Ira Newble
- Sasha Pavlovic
- Scot Pollard
- Eric Snow
- Anderson Varejao
- David Wesley
This can't be overemphasized. Everyone who got on LeBron for his Cleveland years needs to answer one question -- who was the best player he ever had as a teammate there? Antawn Jamison? Maybe Varejao?

Reaction Score
This can't be overemphasized. Everyone who got on LeBron for his Cleveland years needs to answer one question -- who was the best player he ever had as a teammate there? Antawn Jamison? Maybe Varejao?
He played with Shaq, but obviously WAY past his prime.

Probably Jamison or IIgauskas.

Reaction Score

this argument has always been stupid anyway. without Lebron the Heat are probably a 50-55 win team, with him they are a historically dominant team with a 27 game winning streak that is currently ~66% to title in Vegas. thats obviously more value than any player in the league adds to their team

Reaction Score
Theres always some sportswriter who will try to make a name for themselves, but Lebron was gonna win the MVP no matter what.

Lebron could win an MVP award every year for the rest of his career but wont because the expectation level for Lebron is so high that if Melo, Durant, CP3 end up having a great year one of these years one of them will get it. Its kind of like when Barkley got the MVP over MJ in 93, and Malone got it in 97 for leading their team to a great regular season, but in the end MJ showed both of those guys who the best was in the finals. That one year in 2011 Rose won the MVP over Lebron but Lebron destroyed him in the playoffs.

Reaction Score

The Eastern Conference was bordering on being the D League at that point in time though. Who else was even decent in the East 2004-2007 besides the Pistons? The Heat had one run when Wade got every call under the sun and shot 25 FT's per game. LeBron wouldn't have taken that Cavs team out of the first round if they were in the West.

Reaction Score
this argument has always been stupid anyway. without Lebron the Heat are probably a 50-55 win team, with him they are a historically dominant team with a 27 game winning streak that is currently ~66% to title in Vegas. thats obviously more value than any player in the league adds to their team

People replying to me are missing the point of my post. I'm not arguing that Carmello should be the MVP, honestly him. I'm just saying it would be very easy to get rid of any of these types of voting discrepancies by simply changing the name.

Reaction Score
The Eastern Conference was bordering on being the D League at that point in time though. Who else was even decent in the East 2004-2007 besides the Pistons? The Heat had one run when Wade got every call under the sun and shot 25 FT's per game. LeBron wouldn't have taken that Cavs team out of the first round if they were in the West.

Cmon, Lebron was ridiculous against Detroit, and he was Shabazz's age. You're talking about basically a one man team where the one man should be a senior in college making the NBA Finals.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to consider what a team would look like without the player when considering the MVP vote, but, um, LeBron. There's a reason everybody else picked him. Put LeBron on the Knicks and that would have been a sweep.

Reaction Score
Theres always some sportswriter who will try to make a name for themselves, but Lebron was gonna win the MVP no matter what.

Lebron could win an MVP award every year for the rest of his career but wont because the expectation level for Lebron is so high that if Melo, Durant, CP3 end up having a great year one of these years one of them will get it. Its kind of like when Barkley got the MVP over MJ in 93, and Malone got it in 97 for leading their team to a great regular season, but in the end MJ showed both of those guys who the best was in the finals. That one year in 2011 Rose won the MVP over Lebron but Lebron destroyed him in the playoffs.

I don't think they're trying to make a name for themselves, I think it's just highly probably that at least 1 out of 121 people will be obtuse about something.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
It's the second round, what's there to update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Kevin love IMO should have gotten recognition as an MVP candidate if we go by the true meaning of the MVP award

Reaction Score

C'mon, man, the day after the Heat's legit winning streak ended didn't you "update" us that the Knicks had the longest winning streak in the league at something like 6 games?

Reaction Score

It's such uncharted territory for the Knicks that I figured there had to be something to hear about.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
C'mon, man, the day after the Heat's legit winning streak ended didn't you "update" us that the Knicks had the longest winning streak in the league at something like 6 games?

I think there was more to my update at the time besides a 6 game win streak. My updates were more regarding the atlantic division. There's really no update, worth starting a new thread, they lost the first game and Mike Woodson refuses to adjust the lineup and STAT practiced 3 on 3 today and is looking to return on Friday if he doesn't have any setbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01